Author Topic: Linux  (Read 7053 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Linux
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
At the same time, I should say that I downloaded a solitaire suite that has like 130 kinds of solitaire -- and HTML documentation that tells you the rules for each game.

I was honestly expecting to have to figure out each game, and there was just no way.  :lol:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
130 kinds of solitaire

:hmm:

I guess you could have almost endless variations of how the deck is dealt out, alone. But I'd like to hear if you run across any interesting variations of play.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
So far, I've tried three types, and one was Klondike.  :lol:

Back in the day, I had two Hoyle's Book of Games computer solitaire sets, which was like 60-something games, and apparently I was more obsessive, because I got to be pretty expert at all of them.  Now, if I can't do well by my third hand of a new kind of solitaire, I give up and go play Kobo.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
FYI the last three versions of Microshaft Office didn't have any help installed by default (also the Equation Editor and damn near all the problem solving tools).

And of course the IT people are all, oh we'll install Office for you to make sure it's all okay, yeah, fucking right of course they just pick the default installation radio button and push go god damn it so none of us have the media and it's a fucking pain
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
Actually, apparently there are Unattended settings for install, so that you can start an install of an MS product and not have to sit there and wait for it to stop several times, ask you a question, and do nothing while it's waiting for your answer.

The Unattended defaults might be the problem, so it might really be another MS problem more than an IT Hates Everyone Else problem.  I don't know.

It galls me about once a week that MS broke Paint -- they broke PAINT, despite not making any changes to it that I can see -- so that in every version after 95 it hasn't worked properly.  The Windows 3 version literally worked better than the Windows 7 version does.  And I remember when Win 95 came out, MS had the broken 'color eraser' listed as a known bug that they were going to fix.

Obviously Paint is not a priority, but WTF, man.

Also, Word 2.0 was more useable than later versions.  I'm just saying.

I'm really tempted to download the Windows version of LibreWrite and see if it's as slow as the Windows version of AbiWord.  Under Mint, at least, it's just so fast, comparable to Wordpad, really.

In other Linux news, I'm still having trouble adjusting to the sticky/non-sticky behavior of the Alt key.  Press Alt and release it, and you get menus, but you can't use the hotkeys for those menus without pressing Alt again, except in cases where it only works if you don't press Alt again because pressing Alt will toggle the menus away again.

I think the way it works is consistent -- I think it is -- but it's different from Windows, which I'm used to, and I keep stumbling on it.  It's not major, though.

Similar to this is that the 'Windows' key will open the Cinnamon equivalent of the Start Menu (which honestly I never thought was a good launcher in the first place and not an improvement on Program Manager), but using the Start Menu with the keyboard is iffy.  Even if you don't want to reach for the mouse . . . you're gonna reach for the mouse.

I'm sure I could download other launchers, though.  Maybe I eventually will.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
More and more there are unattended installations for MS stuff, so the techs can screw up thousands of machines overnight because they didn't test the script in advance. Usually, though, they're nice, just a lot of details to consider (that you should have considered already).

Just changed the launcher (home program) on my android-altered Nook. ADW was on the previous version (Jelly Bean), and the new OS (KitKat) comes with Launcher3. The hidden "trash" button decided me to go back - if I want to delete something I don't want to look under my finger to see if it's turned red or not.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
Just changed the launcher (home program) on my android-altered Nook. ADW was on the previous version (Jelly Bean), and the new OS (KitKat) comes with Launcher3. The hidden "trash" button decided me to go back - if I want to delete something I don't want to look under my finger to see if it's turned red or not.

Have you tried Nova Launcher?  I've been using that on my Nexus 7 and on my phone for about a year and I find that I can't stand anything else now.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
Not before, but I can download it and try it out. Thanks.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2014, 11:47:09 AM »
The solitaire suite I was talking about is called AisleRiot.  Which I guess is a pun, although I'm not sure what it's referencing.

I think I've tried about a dozen of the games so far, but none of them have been revelations.  Just OK.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »
Anagram.
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2014, 12:40:34 PM »
Anagram.

:shock:

Wow.  :thumbsup:

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »
My mind continues to work in random and mysterious ways.  :trance:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 08:58:29 PM »
My mind continues to work in random and mysterious ways.  :trance:
You forgot to add "impressive".

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »
Still having problems with the selection color in Libre Office.  Mostly that only comes up when I'm searching for a specific word or phrase, and I have to tilt the screen to see where it's found it.  Apparently this is a common problem, with various workarounds, but there are so many options you can adjust that it makes me suspect they'll fix this in a later version.  I'm going to try adjusting the transparency.

The Cinnamon 'start menu' launcher is weird but better as I get more used to it.  It does a better job than Windows 7 of letting you have it guess what you want to run instead of hopping through menus -- which is good because, like Windows 7, it's not that good at letting you hop through cascading menus.  I'm used to (and I think I prefer) setting up and/or learning to use hotkeys to run specific programs, but the start-typing-the-name-and-I'll-guess function in Cinnamon is blazingly fast and non-stupid.

The version of VLC I have for XP works substantially better than the version for Mint.  But the Mint version is mostly fine.

Mint, like Windows, occasionally chokes when I try to use a USB flash drive or hard drive.  I don't know if this is because USB is inherently flaky or what.  The major difference is that in Windows, this usually results in garbaging my data; in Mint, I have to kill a data-transfer process that won't end on its own, unplug the device, and plug it back in.  To date, I've had three or four problems like this in Mint, but no data loss.  In Windows, seems like I lose data about half the time, which is why my flash drives all have redundant directories and are a pain in the ass to use.

Of course, the Windows 7 machine we have at work . . . two USB ports on the front.  One doesn't work.  The other one reboots the machine about a quarter of the time when you plug something in.  No way to tell if that's Windows or Lenovo, but it's the sort of thing that has kept me from being a big fan of USB.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »
WELL . . . I didn't bother hauling any of my XP machines to work so I could get that last XP update.  I think this is a good reflection of my confidence in the Linux machines I have.

My laptop has started behaving in some minor funky ways, though:

- The CD drive tends to 'remember' the last disk that was in there, in bad ways, unless you eject the disk using the right-click Eject command, rather than using the button on the drive.  For instance, if I have a DVD in there, eject it manually, and put in a data CD, the machine tells me it's an unreadable DVD.  In fact, it thinks it's a messed-up version of the DVD I'd ejected.

Odd.  Not hard to work around, but odd.

- The file explorer doesn't update directories unless I manually refresh them.  Every time I create a new file and then don't see it in the filetree window, my heart skips a beat, but I just have to hit F5.  Weird.  The explorer (not unlike the CD issue) has a long memory, so that if I go to a subdirectory, select five files to copy, and then two days later reopen a file window and go to that subdirectory . . . those five files will be selected.

Thanks, but . . . no, really, that's not necessary.  But it doesn't hurt, either.  Still, I think I'll switch to another file manager eventually.

The lack of keyboard support is really annoying sometimes.  Not quite Windows annoying, though.