Author Topic: Bikes and Scooters and Such  (Read 1697 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Bikes and Scooters and Such
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
tl;dr, partly because I should have started this thread awhile ago.  Pics eventually, I hope.

Well.  Time and money and sanity are short, but so far I've managed some progress.

I cut up the bicycle frame.  High-speed metal cut-off tool, not too impressive.  Well, it's impressive in how it throws an insane shower of sparks everywhere, but it doesn't even cut aluminum too well.  I switched to the corded reciprocating saw (which Hedaira sent me, and which remains awesome), and it cut through the frame almost as easily as if it were cutting cardboard. 

Basically, I cut both ends of the two long pipes in the middle.  Seat comes off.  Pedals and cranks come off.  The rear wheel assembly will still be the rear wheel assembly, and the front fork will still be the front fork.  The trick is connecting them to the center board section (where I will stand) without doing any welding.

As much as possible, I'm building this out of stuff that I already have.  Fortunately, said the packrat, I have a lot of weird stuff.  My current plan has the rear wheel assembly attached using the crank bearings, a 5/8" threaded rod, and galvanized brackets meant for deck construction.  Plus a suspension system.  That's slightly complicated, so we'll see how that goes.

The front, well, I'm attaching the bike's fork using a piece of 3/4" conduit and an aluminum adjustable flag pole bracket, reinforced with a heavy piece of metal rod (inside the conduit) and a lot of JB Weld epoxy.  If this proves too weak (ie, it bends during use), as a backup I have steel pipe (meant for hanging a ceiling fan) and a cast iron flag pole bracket, but that would be much heavier.

Although this is primarily meant as a kick scooter, I do have a probably unkickable hill or two to deal with.  Today I tested the motor, which indeed kicks like a mule even when only attached to one battery.  I haven't 100% figured out how to mount the motor yet.  It came with a mounting plate, which is great except that it doesn't line up the motor sprocket with the freewheel sprocket on the bicycle wheel.  So that needs modification.

I also haven't done any wiring yet.  Wiring for 24v DC is not something I have done before, nor something the internet is too helpful with, although some marine sites have given some pointers.  Also, I'm not 100% sure how to hook up the charger.  I think (?) I need a three-position switch (motor throttle active, charger active, nothing active) so the motor can be out of the loop when the batteries are charging.  The charger I have is not 'smart' and doesn't know when to stop charging, alas, but the alternative seems to be two 12v chargers, which would cost a lot more and be a pain in the ass.

I also still don't know what the 'controller' that came with the motor does.  Apparently it's meant to make the batteries drain evenly, somehow, among other mysterious things.  I have a wiring diagram for it but no other documentation.  The wiring diagram includes a "Pilot Light" circuit, which, uh, maybe that means a power indicator?

I'm seriously considering just running the motor at 12v with a momentary-power switch, no rheostat, and using the batteries separately.  Depends on the torque I can get.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Bikes and Scooters and Such
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Tonight I attached the front and rear assemblies to the deck.  Way too long.  :thumbsdn:  The thing is like 78" long.  A large mountain bike is usually 72" or shorter.

I'll have to shorten the deck, but I think I'm also probably going to have redo the front assembly.  Pain in the ass if you don't weld, because your options are pretty limited.  The deck is currently 20" long, which is plenty comfortable, but I added about 4" to the rear assembly in order to put a suspension on there, and then the front wound up being about 6" longer than I hoped because of the non-welding options available . . . .

Well, we'll see.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »
pixplzkthnx  ;)
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
:lol:  Yeah, more comprehensible that way, I'm sure, and more interesting.  It may have to wait until after the show, though.

I did take some pictures of the chassis assembly, but (A) my workspace is too small for me to take a picture of the whole thing at once, for instance, and (B) my crappy camera doesn't have autofocus . . . or even show you on the LCD on the back if your picture was in focus.  You have to just take a ton of photos and then go to the computer and see if any of them came out.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
LOOK AT THIS THING I WANT THIS THING

In case that link doesn't work.

That's a non-standard Peugeot BB1 from the early 1960s.  People still love to modify those things; if you do a GIS for them, you'll find more recent modified versions than pictures of originals.  A couple of months ago I saw an eBay listing for one that ended up selling for over a grand. 

Of course, this one doesn't run.  Maybe the engine doesn't work (likely), and maybe the wheels don't even turn.  But it would be fun to modify.  People have converted them to electric.  And it looks cool, man.  But I don't have the spare cash . . . or, currently, a working car.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »
eBay hath delivered me a new freewheel, a new bicycle seat (with no nose; this is an experiment), and a 26" rear wheel with a 3-speed SRAM planetary hub.  I think the hub has a coaster brake, too, which is OK.

I still need a new tube for my rear wheel, not to mention to get the old one and its attendant junk off the bike, to install the new wheel, and to get the new transmission to work with my existing shifter.  I have three gears on the crank, so this will be a weird bastard hybrid 9-gear setup.  I admit to being curious how it'll shake out, but at the very least surely there will be a very high gear, a very low one, and something tolerable in the middle.

This bike still doesn't have cargo spaces or fenders.  Or lights or reflectors.  But this is some progress.  I have lights and cargo bags and such; the issue is making decisions, mounting the the hardware, etc. 

This bike is one of those pseudo-mountain bike designs that has a reasonable front suspension and one of those inflatobulb rear suspensions that, as far as I can tell, does no actual good.  It means you can't install a rigid cargo deck that's attached to both the frame and the seat post, though.  I may just creatively disable the inflatobulb and fix the rear wheel relative to the frame.

I have to work on the bike in my living room, for better or worse, because it's such a pain in the ass to get it up and down my basement stairs.  :lol:  WELL it means I can watch TV while I fool around with it.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
wait a minute ... you can't have a front derailleur without a rear derailleur, or at least the 2-sprocket S-spring arm deelie that takes up the chain slack or gives it back when you switch chainrings. So you're stuck with one of your three chainrings I think, with that hub.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:07:29 AM »
I plan to keep the tensioner, anyway.  If / when I stick a motor on, I may want it to be able to engage the chain instead of directly engaging the rear wheel.  That would require an extra freewheel in there somewhere.  It's the kind of thing I can see is mechanically possible but can't lay out in my head.