Author Topic: Print your very own handgun  (Read 2562 times)

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
Print your very own handgun
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
This exists. I don't know how to feel about it; on the one hand I'm not opposed to people possessing and using firearms in this country, it's a fundamental right and should be maintained. On the other hand, making it easy for any old wacko with access to a 3D printer to make a handgun is a dramatic problem, one which I don't want to see fulfilled in it's most gory outcome in my lifetime.

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-right/gun-enthusiasts-create-printable-firearms-what-could-possibly-go-wrong
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Print your very own handgun
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
Hackers and spooks will rapidly corrupt this process, and a lot of people will unknowingly print unreliable guns liable to backfires and jams.  It'll be Anarchist's Cookbook writ large.

Anyone can make a zip gun at home.  Frankly, if you're bright and handy enough to make a reliable one, you don't even need instructions.  Fabrication tech just makes it easier for casual and lazy people to make stuff.  The Ain't Nobody Got Time For That crowd. 

Personally, I'd rather that a lot of those people had piece of shit homemade handguns than, say, knives.  Eventually the fab revolution will probably put effective weapons in their hands, but, again, they could have effective weapons now if they could be bothered to procure them.

What's probably more offensive is that a lot of the Tea Party types who've been rah-rahing this are really just thinking Those people will just shoot each other, and I'm in favor of that.  And you know they're racist about it.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
I wouldn't want to trust somebody else's design of a printed gun. (And I certainly wouldn't want to trust my own!) But it's depressing nonetheless.

We've got a right to bear arms, not firearms.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
And bearclaws. We have a right to bearclaws.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
You mean, I didn't have to pay extra for that at the donut shop?
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
You'll have to pull my bearclaw from my cold, dead, sugar-buzzed hand.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Anyone can make a zip gun at home.  Frankly, if you're bright and handy enough to make a reliable one, you don't even need instructions.

Holy crap. I'd never thought of that, but went and googled it and found a lengthy document prepared by the KKK describing zip guns, pipe guns and silencers.

Why do you open my eyes this way, Axe? I was happier ignorant.
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »
Human beings have killing each other down to a science.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

pdrake

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »
this is nothing more than the media trying to gain exposure for themselves. people have been milling their own parts and pieces forever. people have been whittling spears and arrows longer than that. hell, i can go out in my yard, grab a rock and kill someone with it.

it's plain and simple fear mongering.

next up, your grass can kill you. tune in at 11.

fuck you, no i will not.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
Human beings have killing each other down to a science.

True, but most people are really shitty at science, so they tend to screw it up.

The Second Amendment obviously does protect one's rights to bear some or other kind of arms.  DC vs Heller notwithstanding (because the Court is an ass), the amendment very explicitly specifies that regulation is a foremost limitation upon that right, though. 

(Just because the "militia" was conceived as composed of all males capable of properly using a firearm does not logically equate to all males capable of using a firearm automatically being part of a militia.  Even if that logic is too tough for some people, we restrict the arm-bearing rights of convicts, for instance, which proves the point.  And we limit the kinds of arms any private citizen can own and use.)

There are freely available plans on the internet for weapons much more dangerous than firearms which are also easier to build than firearms, and for which you don't need to purchase ammunition.  I'm being circumspect for obvious reasons.  When those thing become fab trends, we'll have a much more serious problem. 

Of course, most of the gun nuts who popularize these things (and those in that minority are nuts, not merely gun rights advocates, let's face it) are in favor of the downfall of civilization.  It's not like they're trying to provide for the general welfare of their fellow citizens.  But at least when they stick their heads up, it makes it easier for the police to identify them.  It's some consolation.