Author Topic: bitcoins  (Read 5887 times)

pdrake

bitcoins
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
anyone here have any or have any interest?
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
Re: bitcoins
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:28:57 PM »
Not really. I thought about adapting the mining software to VMS and running it in the back room, but, meh.
“I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.”

pdrake

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
from what i've read the mining software only runs (well) on powerful gpus. i just bought a high end card with cuda processing so i was wondering if it might be worth it to have my work machine mine. hey, free money!
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:09:04 AM »
Only in the general sense. I've been curious about it at times and tried to read up on it, but I kept getting distracted by all the warning klaxons going off in my head. Or maybe I need Morgan Freeman to show up and explain it to me.

It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
I remember hearing a lot about them back when it was considered a game-changing government-subverting dealio, but then it got quiet for a few years, and now it's a high-risk investment game.

:shrug:

I can't seem to work up any interest.  And neither can bitcoins, at the moment.

[hey-o]

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
Yeah, didn't I read bitcoin's stock prices are in free fall yesterday? I didn't rtfa, but they were making it sound like the vultures were circling
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

pdrake

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
so today i downloaded a mining client on my work machine. even with my high end graphics card (quadro 4000) it was mining at .00018 per day. that means i'd have about 2/3 of a coin in a year.  :whatever:

i don't think i'll waste the energy.

i guess the people really making the money have huge stacks of boards dedicated to this. once again, it takes money to make money. :bummed:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
That's part of the point of the setup they went with.  Over time, bitcoins become harder and harder to produce, plus the global supply only grows slowly and at a decreasing rate, plus there's an ultimate limit to how many there can be.  (Unless computing changes vastly in relevant ways, which may or may not be a safe bet.)

So all of that tends to theoretically make the value keep going up, at least for now, but naturally there will be some considerable fluctuations.

pdrake

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »
mining farm

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
I've thought about it idly, but clearly missed the boat. I have a desktop sitting at home pretty much just taking up space (i torrent on it a couple of times a week, but that's about it) which could be better spending it's time, but it looks like I'd probably wind up having the same issue as PDrake, really slow mining.

Meh. I'm still just trying to make an honest living. Who needs virtual currency?
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

Min

• Trusted
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
Phyre, you know Val is into it.  Enrique's work buddies talk about it all the time and so he asks me if any of my nerd friends do it.  I've been meaning to ask but now I don't have to.  He may have questions though so I may pop back in with a few.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »
I tried to follow an explanation of what Bitcoin(s) is/are, but I still don't get it. :shrug:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

pdrake

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51:52 AM »
pogs
beenie babies
marbles
widgets

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 03:48:48 AM »
That's what I thought.  :lol:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »
I'm sort of marginally interested. I've considered getting one of these.

The math has so many variables that it's hard to get a handle on how long it takes to mine a coin (and even harder to figure out what that coin will be worth when you get it), but it's kind of an idle curiosity and $280 is a relatively low cost of entry. If I lost all of it (relatively unlikely) it wouldn't put me out on the street.

I don't think Bitcoin is going anywhere any time soon (I mean that in both a positive and a negative way) and I am attracted to the idea of currency that's free of a traditional government. Dunno if I'll bother actually getting one, but it's fun to think about.
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof