Author Topic: OKAY IT'S TIME TO FEEL OLD  (Read 4257 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: OKAY IT'S TIME TO FEEL OLD
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
Pirating MP3s is obsolete?

I'm not snarking.  I'm asking.  I am not up-to-date.

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
It's on it's way out. With Spotify or Google Music All Access, you can pay a set fee ($10) a month, and listen to whatever you want, provided they've licensed it. The licenses are pretty wide, so that covers about 99% of what I want to listen to, and eliminates the need for me to pirate music. The remaining 1% are things like AC/DC- that old-school band whose licensing is still lucrative enough that they don't want the couple of cents per-play they'd get from these types of services. In fact, I can get some AC/DC music, but it's mostly live albums, not studio.

As long as the licenses aren't all-inclusive, there's always going to be room for piracy, but with this kind of subscription service, I don't have to go to my PC then download and wait for it- I just search on my phone/computer/tablet, and listen, anywhere, anytime.
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
:hmm:

No, I'd still rather own it.  Not that I can afford many CDs or digital tracks, but if I like it enough to pay to hear it, I probably want to own a copy.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »
I just spend about $50 and downloaded five albums from bandcamp.  Spotify, google music, pandora, et al are great for the consumers and crappy for the artists.  If you actually like music and want artists to continue making music you should kick some geld down to them through other channels, be it merch from their sites or shows, going to shows, or actually buying a CD or paying for digital albums and or tracks (preferably from their own sites.  Avoid iTunes like the plague as Apple makes the lion's share of the money you pay).
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »
Argued and proved. I will say that those services are a decided improvement over artists getting absolutely nothing, which is what piracy gives to them.

My preference is to go and see artists in person, and I've bought music from artists when I really wanted a copy of my own (which I could continue to control after leaving whatever service), but that's not always economically feasible.
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
Ugh.  Speaking as a consumer, I really freaking hate Pandora and its stupid AI and interface.  Haven't tried Spotify.

As far as buying digital downloads, I'm only interested in zero-bullshit $1 (or similar) MP3s.  If your site is full of chrome or fancyass, if you use a proprietary format, if there's any subscription or membership required, forget it.  I'll just buy a CD. 

MP3s from a used CD are often under 25 cents apiece, anyway, and I have a backup hard copy.  Granted, I may not want every track from most albums, and the artist doesn't make a cent from a used CD, but I can generally buy the CDs I want new for five or six bucks, too.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
The typical artist gets nothing from Spotify or Pandora.  The big popstar's labels will get some decent money and some will trickle down to them.  But of the artists I've talked to, their checks will amount to a couple cents.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
I shouldn't be in this thread. My kid is turning 10 months old on Monday.

Of course, there are those here who remember me being young enough that I swore I'd never have a kid at all, so that's something.

Dude.  I've known you for 10+ years, electronically.  That alone is enough to make me feel old.

Right? I remember when I was so scared that Demosthenes might ban me for saying something stupid. Now I don't care.

:lol: I don't recall ever banning anyone for saying something stupid.  I usually only banned people when the other regulars stopped finding them entertaining.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:09 AM »
You never did ban that Greg character though.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
True... :hmm:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
I moved about 60 boxes of books and whatnot today, in preparation for the book show, and good god do I feel old.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
Well?!?! Do ya, punk?!?

:hisey: belated :hisey:

:detta: ;) :galm:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »
Happy Birthday Hisey!
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
Ermagerrrrrd
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."