Author Topic: Geek Things I Didn't Expect To See Today  (Read 6759 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Geek Things I Didn't Expect To See Today
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »

Yep. It is what you thought. Shrink-wrapped pack of five 6250cpi 9-track 1/2" tapes. New old stock!

Lot of interesting things coming out of my old professor's office ... !
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
Re: Geek Things I Didn't Expect To See Today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:26:13 PM »
 :trance:

Do you want to go over to Computer Science and ask if they could mount those?
“I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.”

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:18:29 PM »
don't they have a a tumbler for that?  Mounting old storage.  Like that mounting statues or mounting furniture page...
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
:trance:

Do you want to go over to Computer Science and ask if they could mount those?

I think we were the last department to use them. We've also got a *lot* of laserdiscs, but they're all the telemetry from the CZCS mission and not the original cut of Star Wars, alas.

I threw out all my DATs in December though. I feel liberated!
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »
In 1883 José Bonillla, an astronomer in Mexico, made some careful observations of hundreds of objects moving across the face of the sun, some with what looked like misty halos surrounding them. Nobody else, including other astronomers mere hundreds of kilometers away, saw them, so his observations and photographs were discounted as geese, dust, or in more recent years by crazier people, alien spacecraft.

Well.

Some modern astronomers, thinking about more recent observations, decided to think about the data from the point of view of parallax. The non-observations of the objects from other known locations and the geometry of Bonilla's photographs (and his shutter speed) constrained the problem and allowed them to estimate their relative size, distance and speed. And then there's those misty haloes. Yep. You know what's coming, don't you. You already figured it out.

They're pretty sure Bonilla observed a broken up comet, possibly a billion tons in mass, passing hundreds to thousands of km away from the Earth. They estimate that had it not missed, the result would have been upwards of three thousand Tunguska-like impacts on the planet. Gosh, I wonder what that would be like.

Shall we play a game?

This and the Pleistocene impact have really got me wondering if anthropogenic climate change is really that big a deal. :shrug:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »
COOL.

Anthropogenic habitat change of any kind tends to be a really big deal -- for us.  Always is.  We're wiping out other species at geological-disaster rates as it is, but we shit where we eat, and that's what makes the biggest difference -- to us.

Giant impacts are cool to imagine and probably miserable to survive.  :shrug:

I was thinking that sun-transit objects of unknown type were called 'vulcanians', but apparently nowadays it's vulcanoids?  I think Fort called the 'vulcanians', but my memory is hazy.

Old-time astronomers used to get shit over moonflashes, too, and sundogs, but it turns out they're real.  There's a lot to see up there, and a lot of it is weird stuff you won't see every day.  God only knows.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
Holy shitsnacks.   :shock:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
That's pretty cool the way they figured that out, or that they were even curious enough to look into it in the first place.

There was a thing on the NewsHour tonight about trying to reestablish extinct species, which sounds like a good idea at first glance, trying to right a wrong, and it's not like introducing cane toads, it's replacing something that was there naturally, but most likely in would end up in the same kind of snafu. As a biologist on there said, it would be better to spend whatever resources and technologies are available on saving the species we are currently wiping out, like the white rhino.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
What could go wrong :P
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »
Almost always, species go extinct ultimately because of habitat change.  Repairing that is generally well beyond our resources and/or abilities.  (Screwing it up in the first place is way too easy.)

For instance, saving the nene is a good example.  Relatively small, easy to keep, easy to feed -- nothing like, say, rhinos.  They almost went extinct mostly because of ferrets (mongoose), pigs, and cats were introduced to the Hawaiian islands.  They're common-ish in captivity, as rare endangered animals go, but re-introducing them to Hawaii doesn't solve anything.  Their habitat is still full of invasive species.

Personally, although I'm totally in favor of saving both vital species (and it's hard to tell which ones are, because, you know, ecology is interdependent) and charismatic megafauna, I think the best pursuit right now might be collecting DNA samples.  As varied as possible.  Put them in the seed vault.  Down the line, someone may have the resources to actually save these species without having to go full Jurassic Park.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
Nature Publishing Group has lost its fucking mind.

I have never heard of anything remotely resembling this. Ever. I'm 15% thinking all of this is a complete freaking hoax. It's insane.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:20:28 AM by Dr. Leonard HmofCoy »

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 12:59:46 AM »
Not Found

These are not the nodes you are looking for

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 01:01:58 AM »
Found it clack

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
also fix0rated

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
:eek:

I . . . uh . . . I thought that was going to be related to the giant peer-review faked-for-money scandal.

I guess it's just a coincidence.  :nonplused: