Author Topic: Geek Things I Didn't Expect To See Today  (Read 6758 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Geek Things I Didn't Expect To See Today
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
my hotmail account lapsed over a decade ago.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »
I've seen three college kids, now, wearing a . . . thing . . . on their arms, usually on the back of the arm above the elbow.  It's a small whitish plastic thing with a hole in its center, almost the size of a soda bottle cap but smooth all over.

I can't see how it's attached.  Frankly, if it were me, I'd constantly be hitting it on things.  Whatever the hell it is. 

What the hell is it?  It almost but not quite has an Apple design look to it.  There's a tall foreign kid (northern European of some kind, judging by his color and accent, maybe Danish) in here right now who's wearing one, and I'm trying not to stare at it.  Earlier, I saw a Chinese girl wearing one, and a more local girl before her.  It's starting to drive me crazy, but a clumsy google was no help.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »
You know, honestly, it looks like an anti-shoplifting tag from a department item of clothing.

:hmm:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
I have these GE LED bulbs I like, and I wanted to buy some more, and . . . holy shit, that market has not settled down.

I can buy LED bulbs direct from Banggood, usually for cheap (especially gigantic or novelty types), but bright ones that also have frosted shells are weirdly hard to find.  Ones with bare LEDs can be rough on the eyes if the bulb is visible.  I'm not sure painting the shell wouldn't cause a heat problem; scuffing it up would probably be OK.

In the US, the prices vary WILDLY.  Crazily, in fact.  I think it's because new bulb types go on and off the market so fast.  Amazon only has stupidly high prices on the bulbs I like -- more than twice what Meijer charges for them, when Meijer has them in stock.  I did a google, and (A) the prices vary by about 300%, and (B) people selling them online can't agree on what's a 60-watt replacement, 75-watt replacement, etc. 

A normal 60-watt incandescent does not produce 1600 lumens.  Probably half of that.  A good incandescent-replacement LED bulb typically gives you almost 10 lumens per watt, so a decent 8 or 9-watt LED bulb is probably a good 60-watt equivalent.  A 15-watt LED bulb is like a 100-watt replacement.

It's gonna take awhile for this to all settle down.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »
I was reading on reddit a few days ago where someone got a great deal at wally world on some LED bulbs because the local power company was sponsoring some kind of promotion. I've never heard of such. That was on the 'frugal' subreddit, which can be interesting sometimes.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
My local utility often has "deals" on CFLs, but it's usually limited to like two per household.

Of course, they also offer "deals" on blower-door house efficiency tests, which were discredited like thirty years ago.  Almost no one needs any kind of test to know how to better insulate their house.  If there isn't massive air infiltration, it's usually window coverings and foundation insulation, but contractors are set up to do walls and attics, so everyone pushes walls and attics.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
You know, honestly, it looks like an anti-shoplifting tag from a department item of clothing.

:hmm:

Heart monitor to go with their Dick Tracy 2-Way Wrist TV wtatches?
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
Maybe.  None of my clerks know, either.  They hadn't noticed them until I pointed one out.

Frickin' time travelers, for all I know.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »
Maybe.  None of my clerks know, either.  They hadn't noticed them until I pointed one out.

Frickin' time travelers, for all I know.

I hate those guys. Always squashing butterflies and shooting dinosaurs and thinking nothing will come of it.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
I keep waiting for my future self to help me out.  This does not bode well.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM