Author Topic: Geek Things I Didn't Expect To See Today  (Read 6761 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Geek Things I Didn't Expect To See Today
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »
I'm finding it hard to believe, but it's in AAAS Science so, uh. Yeah. I've never heard of this, and I've never been approached by one of these outfits. I'd love to see a list of journals that use these services and a list of the companies that provide them.

And of course it would make that fake-peer-review scheme even more profitable.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »
We could pitch to Fox that they come with Fox Science News Journal that does its own peer-review internally.  No fees except for 'processing', but of course the same old Kochs would get to choose what gets a pass and what doesn't.  Plenty of people out there desperate to publish.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
Just so's you know, the Asteroid Redirect Mission is getting real.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
Unbelievable, but a worthwhile endeavor. I suppose. Sometimes. Sometimes I say, "Bring it."
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 06:19:35 PM »
Asteroid intercept is a totally worthwhile thing, for a variety of reasons, but laser ablation is the only sane technological solution currently on the table for serious asteroid defense.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »
Oh, well, they're pretty much only considering the insane ones then. Kinetic energy projectiles or repurposed nuclear weapons.

But this is just for the preliminary, robot flies to asteroid and retrieves boulder mission. Ion propulsion though, pretty cool.
SOMEDAY they'll actually start talking about redirecting an asteroid ... !
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:43:33 PM by Dr. Leonard HmofCoy »

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
The physics involved when it comes to moving an asteroid that essentially has the mass of a mountain start rapidly bordering on the absurd.

Even when you're talking about a 30 megaton nuclear fusion device, the amount of effect such a thing would have on the trajectory of such a huge mass is surprisingly small when you work out the math, even under the best case scenario.

Granted, in an "if-we-can-slow-it-down-by-even-a-couple-of-minutes" in order for it to miss hitting the Earth and killing millions scenario, that might still be worthwhile, but man.  Talk about your long shots.   :(
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
I actually think the latest math - I think this is former astronaut Ed Lu's work - says the best thing is to land some ion engines on there and have them fire for a few years.

erm

Not quite.

Anyway, yes, it's all fabulously absurd.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 07:50:30 PM »
I just finished reading Seveneves by Stephenson.  Nice story.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

pdrake

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »
maybe some day they'll watch a movie to see what can go wrong.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »
:lol:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
the best thing is to land some ion engines on there and have them fire for a few years.

Laser ablation is the same method except that you don't have to send any ion engines out there.  Instead, they stay in orbit, which makes maintenance and redundancy and so on way, way easier.  Also, in effect the engines get to the asteroid and get to work at the speed of light, which gives you far more time for detection.

Solar-powered laser in orbit.  Well, probably a battery of lasers.  Tag asteroid on one side.  Where the beam hits, material boils explosively off the asteroid, gradually pushing it the other way.  Doesn't matter if the asteroid spins (which it will) because the thrust will always be in the same direction without needing adjustments.

The sooner you start nudging, the less nudging it takes to turn a hit into a miss.

The lasers are still non-trivial technology, don't get me wrong, but we've already spent more money on megawatt and more powerful lasers than on ion engines, and the application here is at least an order of magnitude simpler.  And reusable. 

The major drawback is that the same laser system is also automatically a considerable weapon system -- not more powerful than a nuke, by any means, but more usable.  There are ways to reduce the weapon issue, but . . . realistically, as soon as people can build good laser weapons, they will.  Might as well get some peaceful use out of them.

A laser strong enough to deflect asteroids this way is also strong enough to launch vehicles from the Earth's surface into orbit.  I got your orbital elevator right here, no cables necessary.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
From https://www.facebook.com/david.gerrold/posts/10206287034867123

Dr. Kjell Lundgren revealed there are tribbles on the International Space Station and the crowd went wild.

:popcorn:
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
So I take it the Spokane police did not show up to arrest Gerrold for terrorism after all.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 11:33:30 PM »
http://qmackie.com/2015/09/01/mercury-rising/

Come for the archaeology, stay for the evil puns.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.