Author Topic: Random Speculation  (Read 2742 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Random Speculation
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »
Per a dream I had last night:

Suppose there's a very large geological void deep under, say, the Mediterranean Sea, and an earthquake opens up a very large channel to it.  This void (plausibly? or not) is large enough to contain all the water currently in the Mediterranean, and the channel is large enough for the water to drain into the Earth over the course of, say, a month.

Depending on the geological situation, we might (at different rates, from 'perpetual' to 'explosive', depending) get a lot of steam coming back up.  Water would continue to pour into the Mediterranean basin from the Black Sea and the Atlantic.  I don't think it would flow in nearly as fast as it was flowing down into the ground. 

I don't know WTF would happen with the Suez Canal, although presumably they'd close the locks for the short-term.  And the Nile would form terrific waterfalls.  Eventually, the Atlantic would refill the Mediterranean, assuming the geological void wasn't truly titanic.  The Strait of Gibraltar would be pretty different by the time that happened, though, not to mention the Bosphorous, Dardanelles, et al.

I'd watch that movie, at the least.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Random Speculation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
I have no idea how large deep voids can be, and I'm not sure who does know, or with what certainty.  I would guess that really huge ones are rare, but it's a big planet, and stuff's weird, yo.

It's worth adding, though, that apparently the volume of the largest (by volume) known cave system (the Clearwater Cave System) is around 3^7 m3.  The volume of the Mediterranean Sea, on the other hand, is around 3^15 m3.  So this would take some free speculatin', for sure.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
I too would watch this movie.   :hmm: :uncertain:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
How big would a long-mission (and probably interstellar) advanced spacecraft need to be, assuming the humans on board lived relatively similarly to how we live now?

The reason I'm asking is that while I was going over some old junk, I had cause to look at various Star Trek ship designs, and what struck me is that . . . they're freaking enormous.  I mean, enormous

It's not unusual for a Trek ship to provide 300-400 square meters of deck space per crew.  That's huge.  My three-bedroom house is like 112 square meters.

Voyager is meant to be a comparatively small ship, for 160 people, but it's 343m long, with fifteen decks, and has roughly the internal space of an office building 50m on a side and 40 stories tall.  (And that's not including the warp nacelles, although it does include the hangar and deflector.)  It's the size of a large cruise ship, the kind meant for 5000-6000 people (including the crew).  And it's fairly typical.

I have nothing against comfort, or even luxury, and presumably in the future we'll be able to do better than the cramped space in a nuclear submarine.  But what's a good size to shoot for?

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »
They have replicators, so material is cheap.  The cost per square meter of construction is probably a lot lower than our current cost per square foot even.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

pdrake

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
are you bringing food or doing hydroponics/livestock?
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »
Food replicators.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:01:45 AM »
I guess one question to consider is, what's a "comfortable" size for a room? That's going to vary by person and culture, isn't it? I might want one axis of my quarters to be long enough to throw darts (whatever that length is), but do I need more width than to get around the furniture?

In Crusade, one of the characters alters her quarter's height by putting stuff across the ceiling.

Star Trek has a lot of private bathing facilities. Luxury!
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
With replicators and the kinds of energy levels they have, you need less space, though.  They basically recycle food, water, clothing, etc, and pretty trivially.  And, again, they seem to have a lot of space.  Much more than even most upper-class people have here and a now, not including outdoor spaces.

If the ships seemed to emphasize a greenhouse, an arboretum, a croquet field, then it would make more sense.  And sometimes they might be used to, say, evacuate an endangered population.  But they're just so huge.  I looked at some schematics and can't really tell where all the space went.  :lol:

I approached this from the angle of . . . if you were a vastly wealthy person in a Trek-like setting, and you were building your own ship, what would it be like?  The military ships kept being bigger.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
. . . if you were a vastly wealthy person in a Trek-like setting, and you were building your own ship, what would it be like?

Risa
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
:hmm:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
See?
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »
And also? I missed your earlier post about the Med draining into deep voids, completely. All I can say is, when you go down there, follow the marks on the rocks that say "A.S."

And for God's sake take care of the pet duck.

(this upset me GREATLY)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 05:51:39 PM »
It upset Hans, too, as well it should.

That movie made me permanently concerned about poison in my mustache.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
Also while googling for that picture I learned Arlene Dahl went to the same high school as my mom. (about ten years earlier)