Author Topic: BICYCLE BICYCLE  (Read 1019 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
BICYCLE BICYCLE
« on: September 25, 2015, 09:10:26 AM »
I want to ride et cetera . . .

ANYWAY, OK, so, a girl who works nearby (probably at Cosi) parks this bike in front of our shop for most of the day, almost every day.  In form, it's a mountain bike / road bike hybrid, pretty typical.  The frame is really heavily built, though -- the 'top tube' (main upper horizontal tube) is actually a cluster of three tubes, for instance.  It's painted a matte . . . dark red, I think . . . with no brand visible.

Otherwise, a normal expensive bike, too many gears and derailleurs, disk brakes, etc. 

EXCEPT that integral to the handlebars is this weird super-heavy-duty parcel basket.  It's just about the right size to hold a classic lunchbox, lying flat; the lunchbox would fit snugly, and the top of the lunchbox would be level with the top of the basket.  The basket is beautifully made of curved tubes the size of my thumb.  It's a brute.  Frankly, I'd be astonished if it couldn't carry more weight than the front wheel will support.

She never carries anything in it, but it's . . . it's so specialized.  Or overbuilt.  It's weird.  The clearance between the bottom of the basket and the top of the wheel is more than the height of the basket.  You couldn't cram E.T. into this thing.  It'd carry six Hollywood gold bars.

She's seen us looking curiously, and she clearly thinks we're ogling her, not the bike.  Young woman, I can be interested in both things.  But it would be weird for me to storm out there and demand to know what the hell is up with your bike.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: BICYCLE BICYCLE
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »
There are so many boutique bike mfrs now but my first thought was "... that's a Surly." Surly makes pretty ordinary looking bikes that merely cost a fortune, but sometimes they make these freaks of unnature that cost a fortune and are pretty effin weird.

Upon reference to the website, it's not a Surly. Hrm.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »
Seriously, so often I see something about a bike that looks pretty good, nothing too spectacular, and then it's $1500 or more.

I know I'm 'poor' but FFS.  Right now I'm looking to buy a car for $4000 or less.  Preferably less.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
Yeah, the hand-crafted artisanal hipster bike trend pisses me off. On the other hand, the way bikes get cheap is if they are manufactured by slave labor in north korea or something, so, mayyybe we ought to be paying a bit more? Same is true for everything that's made, and we can't afford that for sure. *sigh*

I was going to thump my chest and say "MY bike was proudly made in the USA before hipsters even existed" but I realize that, yeah, it cost $1000 in 1993 soooooooooooo

:hmm:

"hand-crafted artisanal bike trend" ... TO THE BAND NAMES THREAD
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »
The thing is, there's like ZERO 'city bike' trend in the US.  Bicycles are basically toys or sports equipment (toys), so they're mostly aimed at people who have disposable income.  You get a lot of 'all-purpose' bikes that are modeled after pro-athlete bikes.  Biking around town on a bike built as a cheap version of a Tour de France or killer mountain trail machine is always going to be too expensive and inappropriate to be optimal.

For that reason, I really respect the fat-wheel snow bikes, because they're purpose-built for a purpose people actually use them for.  There's that.  And some people cycle like maniacs for health or recreation and accordingly get good use out of a $1000 bike with seventeen gears or more.  Which is also fine.  They don't design downhill skis for going to the grocery store, and that's appropriate.

But sensible five or seven-speed bikes with fenders and cargo capacity and upright seat positions and actually GOOD lights and low mechanical complication for maybe $300-$500?  Not so much.  In Europe and Asia?  Oh, good god, yes, by the zillions.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
Yep. I know what you mean. The hand-crafted artisanal hipster bike trend has totally gentrified that market. The bikes exist, but hideously overpriced.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 05:00:12 PM »
I have a Bianchi mountain bike manufactured in '85 bought in '86.  I think it was around $400 at the time.  I've put thousands of miles on it, just not recently.  I think it was actually manufactured in Japan, so it probably wasn't slave labor.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM