Author Topic: Speak to me of idiot proof video  (Read 1799 times)

vox8

• Trusted
Speak to me of idiot proof video
« on: December 27, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
For the new year I have decided my next step in marketing needs to be a YouTube channel.

I have ideas for content and have worked out a tentative twice a week posting schedule but I need to figure out the technical aspect.

I was hoping one of the computer/media geniuses on here could steer me in the right direction. I have been looking at go pros and they seem to have the head mounted market cornered. I need to be able to comfortably video my own hands knitting and I was thinking vicarious yarn shopping with a sidekick, could be amusing.

I also need a webcam because I want to be able to video my face with one camera and my hands with a second and then inset the face cam into the hand cam to become one video.

So rEcommendations for head cam, web cam, microphone type thingy and video editing software that would give decent results for a neophyte. I would like to be able to do the above mentioned inset video as well as place still photos if that can be done.

I have used windows movie maker in the past because it was on my computer, but I am willing to buy something that will give me a better product and hopefully ease of editing.

With regards to the GoPro, I am pretty sure it is overkill but it seems to be the only one that does what I need. I don't need all of the waterproofing and indestructibleness, but I do want high quality video and the ability for it to not be wide angle. Most of the cheaper ones I have looked at seem to be fisheye only.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or thrown tomatoes are much appreciated.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Speak to me of idiot proof video
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
I know nothing about that stuff myself. If you need any photoshop stuff done, I can help, but video?  :shrug:

It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »
I have a GoPro! It's really easy to use. Makes great video, easy to use YouTube to upload. I'm not so sure about editing, but there are editing tools built in to YouTube. And as you can see from this video, it's fisheye. The one I have doesn't let you change the focal length.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

pdrake

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:35:13 AM »
my phone is hd video. i have phones in a drawer that shoot hd video. maybe use a phone or two?

i'm not sure if it hooks up to a pc with the video through usb or micro usb or what not.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 04:33:07 PM »
Well just plan on getting millions of subscribers and millions of hits, and then you can hire staff.  Yep, that's the way to do it.  I'm almost last millennium when it comes to video.  TFJ probably knows something about this though.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:31:39 PM »
Phones are a good cheap way in. Gear can cost a small fortune. It doesn't seem like you need a head-mounted cam so much as you need an angle that shows your hands. A GoPro seems very specialized.

Kicking it up a few notches from phones, you might explore DSLR land and a separate audio rig. Sometimes you can get cheap greenscreens on Spamazon if you were interested in that.

For editing I've been using Premier Pro but have used Final Cut in the past. I also use AfterEffects, both Adobe CC stuff. We'll worth their price if you are doing this sort if thing very often, considering you get access to all the other software as well.

Lighting is pretty crucial. You'd be surprised how critical audio is. The most crucial thing is to make something interesting with what you have access to and go from there, I think.
That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »
Oh, lookie there, TFJ is still alive. Cool!

Vox, just in case you weren't aware, Adobe CC means those are available as a subscription, you can buy just one month's worth, if you want.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:13 AM »
Kicking it up a few notches from phones, you might explore DSLR land and a separate audio rig.

Lighting is pretty crucial. You'd be surprised how critical audio is.

I have a high end DLSR (Nikon D-600) that will shoot vidja - but it is bulky and heavy. I am planning on using it for when I can have Rog do the filming, but for the solo stuff I am looking at a web-cam. After researching I think I am going to go with the Logitech C920 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/hd-pro-webcam-c920. I can either use my cellphone or my little Cannon SureShot for supplementary shots.

Audio I know exactly squat about. Should I get a microphone or one of the headset jobbies? The Logitech says that it does good sound - but what is good for a webcam?

Lighting I think I can get covered. I have a good bit of experience with it for my photography and have McGyvered all kinds of soft boxes & stuff for studio shooting.

Another thing I was thinking of is intro/outro music. I was planning on searching for royalty free music, but I really like to support artists if I can, but would a piddly little - sub $100 job be something that like a student would be interested in? Would you be able to point me in the right direction (or away) from this idea TFJ?

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »
Vox, just in case you weren't aware, Adobe CC means those are available as a subscription, you can buy just one month's worth, if you want.

Thanks for the heads up, but I am aware of the CC thing. It pretty much pissed me off when they did it and it still pisses me off. I don't want to "rent" software. If I buy it I want it in my hot little hands.

And honestly, for me, what Adobe considers to be "intuitive" interface is about as intuitive as IKEA instructions if they removed all of the pictograms. While their stuff has a distinct language and flow - it only makes sense if you are accustomed to Adobe creative products - which I fell out of touch with sometime around PhotoShop 3.0 (learned it on B&W monitors).

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
:detta: Yeah, this is exactly my experience with Adobe Creative. They made the interface into something only an expert can use, and they lost me as a customer.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

pdrake

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
this is the latest iteration of just trying to open a file.

http://imgur.com/TTIz5mE
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 06:29:30 PM »
http://imgur.com/TTIz5mE.jpg

Imgur links with the .jpg on the end open larger and allow you to zoom all the way to actual size.

CS5 is probably the last I'll ever have.  :(

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
OK, so this is how far I have gotten:

https://youtu.be/XSYq80zWswQ

I still need to get better sound figured out. But I think I am going in the right direction.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 10:59:04 AM »
 :thumbsup: :headbang:

Looks wonderful! I would say it's too fast for me, but that's because I don't knit, to be sure. Slo-mo replays? ;)
I think your production quality is just great.

Sound *is* hard. How are you mic'ing yourself? I should leave any comments to the experts, I know we have a few in here ;)

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 11:46:03 AM »
Thanks!

I am only using the mic on the camera, which is the problem.

I am looking at getting a lav mic because they are more unidirectional and should cut down on background noise.