Author Topic: Speak to me of idiot proof video  (Read 1800 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Speak to me of idiot proof video
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 03:40:49 PM »
Looks amazing.  Love your voice and explanations.  I have dyspraxia and could probably never attempt something like this without thousands of hours of practice, but you make it look like a novice like me could do it.  :detta:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Yeah, that's great Vox. You've got a really good voice and speech pattern for instructional videos. The lighting and photography looked great too. I had to turn everything up to max to hear it though, that was the only downside.

I would say it's too fast for me, but that's because I don't knit, to be sure. Slo-mo replays? ;)

You know you can adjust speed on youtube videos nowadays, right?  :P
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »
You know, I didn't know that! Cool.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 08:57:41 PM »
I just learned that about a month ago. I don't know how long those settings have been there.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 10:03:34 PM »
It works very well, too. When Barb was moving really fast I was able to slow it down to 0.25 speed and see exactly what she was doing, without any image distortion. Nice!

I am not gonna take up knitting. HOWEVER. I'm gonna share this with U1 who is knitting up a storm these days.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts!

Mo, you are bang on about the sound, I knew it was low but it was ok on my set up. Went over to a friends and heard how bad it was on her system so I will be more careful about speaking up in the future. Also I think a mic will help.

I went back to the files and cranked the sound up, rerendered, and upload a louder copy. In doing this I discovered the annoying fact that YouTube will not allow you to update a video in the same location. I had to upload the new one and change the description in the first one to point to the new one.

The learning curve, she is steep.

Hmof if I can ever be of assistance to Unit1 she can totally email me or hit me up on Ravelry  (assuming she is on Ravelry, which she should be).

When my mom watched the first videos she asked me who I got to do the voice overs. I was indignant and she laughed at me. She said she could tell it was me, but I was definitely using my professional phone voice.

I bet I could make more money using my professional phone voice to talk about things more risqué than knitting for $9.95 a minute.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »
I will be more careful about speaking up in the future

Forcing yourself to talk louder would affect your calm tone, which I think would be detrimental. I believe once you have a directional mic, it won't be an issue. I don't know if clip-on is the way to go though - you get the rustling sound when you move.

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 11:59:54 PM »
you can buy just one month's worth, if you want.

CAN I GIT A HOLT A FIDDY CENT WORTH????

Anyway... nice work! Nice work timing up the audio and vidja in the intro! How'd you do that?

One easy thing you can do to help the sound is not record while the fridge or other appliances/heaters etc are running.

It's true that speaking up might help, but you could close mic it. Or even if you know what you're going to do, do the vidja and VO separately. You could use the cam audio just to track for the VO that's more carefully recorded.

Nice work mang!
That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 02:27:51 PM »
Yeah, that was the heater. Gonna kill it next time. And then it was fun to hear the clock ticking when the heater went off. Gonna kill it too.

I didn't sync up the intro - I went to Fiverr & found someone to do it. Well, first I downloaded Blender and it took me about 45 minutes to figure out to write my name. I decided I would pay someone.

Figured that the intro made it seem more professional. Fake it 'till you make it, eh?

Went to Freys today and got a lav mic, gonna see how that works out.

Thank y'all for all the support. It means a lot to me (scuffs foot in dirt).
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »
Nice! The opening credits were just right imho, and I bet they're reassuring to someone who comes in wondering just how professional the clip will be. Anyway, go go go!