Author Topic: Fudz  (Read 1409 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Fudz
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:39:44 PM »
I want to make Clif Bars, more or less, at home, so I can control the ingredients (at least somewhat) and save money.

Difficulty:  I want less sugar, and less oats (or none), and no recognizable pieces of fruit.

Further difficulty:  I am cranky and get tired of recipes usually before I finish reading them.

I'm largely gonna wing it.  I think I'm going to try brown rice syrup plus sucralose for the sweetener, but not too much, and I'm going to use 'flour' made of rice flour, peanuts, almonds, and oatmeal blended up fairly fine.  I may try adding raisin puree.  Semisweet or dark chocolate chips.  If I'm lucky, when heated a bit that will be soft enough to fold Rice Krispies into.

Anyway, we'll see if I can mad-science it.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Fudz
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:18:37 PM »
 :popcorn:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
Recipe sites drive me crazy. I wing it a lot, taking a little from one recipe here and there. I keep a digital copy of the recipe and notes on how it came out, and thoughts for improving it. Over time, I eventually perfect the recipe (to my taste).

What you are attempting sounds pretty difficult. I make oatmeal cookies fairly often, and I've found that even slight variations in a single ingredient can make huge changes in the texture or taste. That sounds pretty obvious, but what I'm trying to say is you've got a lot of variables that can affect the texture.

Sounds good though.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »
I mean, my god, we've got to try something.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »
I had a recipe that I got from SCA somewhere - "period granola bars" or something like that, hang on
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:54:14 PM »
no I can't find it, argh. I suppose if you use this one as a basis for modification, it'll probably work fine
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:03:19 PM »
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »
I wonder if the incredible burger stuff would go well in a bar  :hmm:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »
I know, right?  I'm always tempted to try really weird things.  I'll be using the girlfriend's kitchen, so it's mostly a question of her patience.

I unfortunately don't digest oats very well anymore, among other things I don't digest well anymore.  :nonplused:  But otherwise that Hmof recipe looks pretty typical -- ie, apt.  I want my fruit blended to paste, and the bars can't turn out crunchy, as my teeth are iffy.  :whatever:

I'm trying not to eat TOO much soy, although considering the rice probably contains arsenic . . . but what can you do?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
My first attempt has been a structural failure.

Making bars that don't have oats, dates, a ton of protein powder, or a ton of added sugar is turning out to be tricky.  Partly because it's hard to find recipes that meet those requirements, and those ingredients act as binders. 

I tried an equal mix of peanut butter and bananas and then mixed rice krispies into it until no more could be added.  It seemed a pretty stiff, sticky mix, but when chilled . . . it hadn't firmed up at all.  Too much water and oil.

I did some research online and tried baking it a little at a low temp, but it got crunchy and peculiar before much of the water had been driven out.  Microwaving it might've worked better, honestly.  The peanut butter got a very cooked flavor, and enough sugar caramelized to really change the taste, but it went from much too soft to much too crumbly and still too soft.  The result isn't inedible, but you'd have to eat it with a fork, really.  And it was better before I baked it.

SO I'm going to try less peanut butter and banana and to add a little brown rice syrup and to heat that mixture further before I stir in the rice.  Then we'll see.  It was already more than sweet enough, but I don't want to jump to adding agar or protein powder if I can help it.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »
I like the Kind Bars.  I really should find some time to play around with this stuff.  I wonder is sucralose can carmelize  :hmm:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
Splenda-type sucralose is mostly filler, usually dextrose and maltodextrin, and both can be caramelized . . . but I don't know if they can be caramelized easily during normal home cooking.  No idea.  Google's not helping me out with that.  I'm not sure if the baking formulation of Splenda would work better -- I think it's just puffed up more (and functionally a lot more expensive).

The safety of sucralose is actually kind of under debate right now, but it still seems to be safer than sucrose, sweetness unit for sweetness unit.  There are some claims that it's not safe to use it in cooking, but . . . I dunno.  Those claims seemed pretty serious, but they were so dire that it seems weird that nothing happened.

tangerine got a cool book of power bar recipes, including ones for how to imitate commercial products.  I don't really want to follow a recipe and make an imitation of a commercial bar, myself.  I want to know what I'm doing, not just how to follow directions.  I want, like, an Alton Brown article on it.  :lol:

But, anyway, the recipes in the book all have ingredients I don't want.  So I gotta learn how to sidestep those.  I'm reading online that a small amount of flour added to the glop before you heat it will make it firm up a lot when it cools, which does make sense.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »
I do recall Alton making some bars at one point. Hmm.

ETA: OK yeah fruity oaty bars
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-bars-recipe-1944513

(they'll make you bust out of your blouse)

(NOT MANDATORY)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
I wonder if America's test kitchen has done anything with sucralose.  I wish I had time and space and equipment to do this up right.  The Alton Brown ones looked pretty good.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Turns out he also did one about "power bars", which means protein powder, and it's not that I hate protein, but I seem to get enough protein.  Still, a little protein powder hopefully won't kill me.