Author Topic: Beers and Booze  (Read 407 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Beers and Booze
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »
I've tasted tequila but never had a margarita, no.  Or a daiquiri, etc.

I had a Depth Charge once.  I've tasted a martini.  I really haven't tried many cocktails.  Up until I was somewhere in my 30s, drinking alcohol was seriously like swigging Pine-Sol or something.  My taste buds overreact to a lot of things, by normal standards, but much moreso in my youth.

Weirdly, I don't have a strong response to garlic -- I like it, but strong garlic and weak garlic levels are pretty much the same to me -- and there are certain spicy things, once in a while, that I can eat and don't even really seem spicy to me.  Whereas, historically, most spicy things have been toxic to me. 

My younger sister once almost killed me by insisting I take a bite of a spicy Slim-Jim, for instance.  I was coughing and tearing up for at least ten or fifteen minutes after I spit it out.  It was nasty for other reasons, but it's difficult for me to imagine how it could taste good.

When I was in middle school, one of my better friends had almost no response to bitter flavors.  He used to eat instant coffee dry with a spoon and eat unsweetened baking chocolate.  They say people who like bitter flavors are often sadistic or psychopathic, but he seemed OK.  Except from being wired a lot from all the caffeine.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »
Pisco sour is the best cocktail there is in the entire world. In my humble opinion. But it's not a straightforward mix, and getting good pisco is a problem. HOWEVER. Go find a Peruvian or Chilean restaurant and see if they can do it for you.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »
I haven't checked yet, but I'm not sure how far I might have to go to find a Peruvian or Chilean restaurant.  I might be surprised.

tangerine

• Trusted
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
There are NO Peruvian/Chilean restaurants anywhere NEAR my-and-Axe's-land, but I do know where to buy good pisco  8) (Axe -- it's the liquor store near the highway, S of my workplace -- the place I keep telling you we should go to) and infact I used to mix some pretty darn good pisco sours back in the day.  :D

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »
Skill refresh time!
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »
He should make an excellent test subject for experimentation.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »
Story of my life.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »
infact I used to mix some pretty darn good pisco sours back in the day.  :D

Good person to know. That is an advanced skill. :D
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »
There's a new Peruvian street food restaurant in downtown Tucker called The Freakin Incan and it is freakin delicious. I believe they serve the pisco thingies - but I mainly go for the big chunks of deep fried pork.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
Dang.  :thumbsup:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »
Oh, I had a bottle of STBC Pumking, which they say is "Rum Barrel Aged Imperial Pumpkin Ale with notes of Pumpkin Pie Spice".  They describe the taste as "honey sweetness, graham cracker, vanilla, boozy, mild caramel".

It didn't taste that way to me.  I thought it tasted like beer (well, you know), a trifle heavy and dark, with some burnt coffee flavor mixed in, Taster's Choice maybe or end-of-the-day percolator.  A hint of ashes, and an aroma more than a taste of heavy vegetable matter, like a big pile of leaves in October.  A hint of wet dirt, but not unpleasantly.  Boozy, yes, but I didn't taste the other flavors they were shooting for.  It made me think that if it had pumpkin, it was the stem.

The alcohol content is high for a beer, in my limited experience, about 9.5%.  If that had any effect, it made a little sleepy.  I hardly sleep, so that's not much proof of anything.

Overall, it wasn't for me.  It was the sort of thing where a swallow or two is interesting and not offensive, but it starts to threaten the stomach as the bottle empties.  Very possibly with the right food (something spicy and cheesy?) it would go nicely, for some folks.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »
A hint of wet dirt, but not unpleasantly.

:lol:
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 04:41:16 PM »
I think "earthy" is the standard adjective, but I gotta give them the full October description, because presumably it's what they were going for.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:29 PM »
You know, I think I understand just what you were going for in that description.

One of my favorite bourbons actually has a noticeable "moldy/mildewy" back-end taste and you can smell it on it too if you are sharp enough.

And I know that sounds gross, but it's actually just part of the character of the whiskey.  Hard to explain that though.   :lol:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »
My personal feeling is that whiskey is medicinal, although a multi-purpose medicine, and shouldn't taste good, exactly.  I have a fascination with Lagavulin, which I couldn't possibly take at more than a sip every five minutes without regretting it.  That stuff tastes like someone smoked and then juiced a bog man, but in a good way.  It tastes like it gives you magic powers.  It tastes like if you soaked a penny in it, the penny would turn to gold.

It doesn't taste good, but it tastes strong.