Author Topic: Squirbs & Birbs  (Read 642 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Squirbs & Birbs
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
I just remembered why the jig saw didn't work. You have to cut from the textured side, otherwise any chipping will show, and when you run a jig saw across the face of that texture, it will blacken the high points of the texture and the marks won't come off. You have to be careful that any of your metal tools don't blacken the surface when you're working with the stuff. It's weird, and it's not really mentioned anywhere.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

pdrake

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »
i would recommend using a rotary tool with a cut off wheel to cut it and wearing a respirator and long sleeves.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 04:47:07 AM »
Yeah, that would probably work well. I don't have one, personally. Always wanted one, never broke down and got one for some reason.

It occurred to me that some rodents like to chew on certain plastics. I have an unfinished basement with all kinds of crap stored down there. Lots of plastic items are untouched, a few particular items have been chewed on a lot. There is a plastic crate down there that something loves.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
My experience:

- Score and snap works about 10% of the time with any material it's recommended for.  It's one of those things where if you do it a lot, you develop a knack that apparently can't be explained.  But if you score-and-snap something like once a year, it's probably gonna be at least a little problematic.

I'm surprised / irritated about once a month, month after month after month after month, that no one seems to make an inexpensive utility-knife-blade cutter actually made to travel along a straight-edge.  Regular utility knives are hit-and-miss.  You can learn the knack, again, but it's not foolproof.  And cutting perfectly straight lines with a sharp blade is . . . kind of a basic useful thing.

BUT if you buy one of those 4' straight-edges from Harbor Freight or what have you, and you clamp it to the thing you're scoring (along the cut you want to make) just at the edge of a workbench or straight board, and then you score it quite a bit, and then you snap it while it's still clamped, that's more reliable.

- For cutting that shit . . . cut-off wheels for rotary tools are kind of shitty.  The cheap ones aren't merely disposable but last about thirty seconds with gentle pressure, and the expensive ones still aren't the sort of thing where you can easily dress it to clean it up. 

BUT.  Buy a cheap tile-cutting blade of the 3-4" size ($5-$10) and mount it in a circular saw.  (Make sure you get one that'll fit the arbor.)  Even though the blade is small, you can raise the saw's base enough so you can cut a thin panel, easy.  The blade is basically smooth with tiny pieces of grit, and if you go slow it'll cut almost a lot of things pretty easily and cleanly -- soft stone, plastic, sheet metal.

Watch for sparks or thrown ribbons of melted material, and maybe try it on a test piece first, of course.

A tile-cutting blade works in a lot of tools this way.  I saw a contractor cutting cement board and flagstones (for a fountain surround) with a tile blade in an angle grinder, freehand, with no safety accommodations.  I wouldn't recommend that, exactly, but it was illustrative.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
Adhesives for plastics and shit . . . 3M's website used to have a What Is It? function that would tell you the type number of their adhesive that would glue it to whatever else.

If you need to spray-glue polypropylene to glass or glue ice to wax or something, 3M makes something for that.

pdrake

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 12:46:38 AM »
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 08:55:05 AM »
Holy shit. An HTML website.

:thud:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
:clap: