Author Topic: RIP Google ?  (Read 291 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
RIP Google ?
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
Seriously.  I just saw the new Google Search, and it's utter trash.  Non-starter.

DuckDuckGo is bad, but it's not THAT bad.  Hell, Bing isn't THAT bad.  But I guess I'm using DuckDuckGo for now.

I still like the HTML no-JS version of Gmail, but the regular Gmail is almost unusably awful now.  Google Maps is a shadow of what it used to be.

I don't use Google Docs, Calendar, etc.  I do use YouTube, although its design is total crap.  (Remember when you could scroll the preview section without scrolling the video off the top of the screen?  Yeah, that was kind of obvious, wasn't it?  OH WELL.)

:shrug:

They've been going downhill, but this is ridiculous.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: RIP Google ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
I should say:  It's not good, but I use the mobile version of Chrome on my phone.  I haven't seen a better phone browser, and it's good enough to keep me from trying harder.

I do use Chrome at work sometimes, but I hate it.  It's terrible.  Firefox is strictly mediocre, but it's better.  Opera went in the toilet at the same time it switched to the Chromium engine, although those were simultaneous bad design decisions by the same management team; it's not Chromium that ruined Opera.

But FFS.  Alphabet, you guys are terrible at everything worth being proud of.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
I ... I don't think they care? They're doing other stuff that makes them All The Money now and search and email and browser tech are not priorities, I think. I wouldn't short-sell your Google stock just yet.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:33:04 PM »
Step 1: Kill competition.
Step 2: Do whatever you want, and do it poorly, just because.

Isn't that the way everything works now?

I guess I haven't seen what you're referring to yet. I saw some degradation to GIS a while back.

From what I've read, DDG is fed by Bing, so you're getting same results, but better privacy.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

pdrake

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 12:43:02 AM »
Step 3: Profit.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
Quote from: mo
I guess I haven't seen what you're referring to yet.

The changes are . . . coming and going.  Really weird.  If this is 'phasing it in', they need to set their phasers on Stun.  The new version hit my phone and tangerine's late last night, but this morning my desktop browsers are showing the old Google Search, with or without JS on.  :whatever:

The new version returns far fewer results, far more of them clearly paid for, and the results are way more filtered.  The "Cached" option is gone, and the results are stupidly  s p a c e d  out in annoying fashion, with each result in a sort of rounded-frame bubble. 

Like Google was a twee 14-year-old who was texting you the search results that they thought were totally sweet.  :eyeroll:

Quote from: Hmof
I wouldn't short-sell your Google stock just yet.

WELL, there's an ethical consideration.  :nonplused:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:46 PM »
Google is diversifying so that if several of the items in their portfolio fail, no problem.  Same with Amazon and Microsoft to some extent.  Apple is following a somewhat different strategy.  Anyhow all four are dealing in the ultimate product which is information on their users, which has worked so well for facebook.  G+ died but Google still is making absurd money off of their users and will continue to do so in one way or another.  The days of don't be evil are long gone.

FWIW, I use Brave for both laptop and IOS.  The only thing that doesn't work with Brave is gmail so I use firefox for that.  I use chrome for my work apps because that's what IT likes us to use as an alternative to edge which I refuse to even launch. I have duck duck go app on my phone but google works fine in Brave so that is my default search engine. 

My kids school uses Chromebooks and they use google apps for presentation, spreadsheets, and word processing.  Those apps are at least comparable to the MS ones so at least the kids will be able to adapt easily if MS is still relevant in the future.  Fortunately the Bezos and the Zuck haven't entered this realm...yet.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:43:22 PM »
Step 3: Profit.

For Google, it's "Step 1: Profit".

:hmm:

Had to look that up. Actually, it took them about 3 years to become profitable according to Quora.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »
I use the mobile version of Chrome on my phone.

Give the Brave browser a try. I've been using it on mobile for a couple of years now and it's similar to mobile Chrome, but it has adblocking built in.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »
:hmm:

I have JS turned off for almost every site, which typically wipes out almost all objectionable ads (ie, 90% of them), and it also makes everything load 5-10 times faster.  Really, very few sites NEED JavaScript or are better with it, although there's creep.  None of the NBA-reporting sites I've used will do box scores anymore unless you have JS turned on, so I don't bother following games in realtime anymore.  I just check in the next day to see how it went.  :whatever:

I can't see myself using an Apple phone, but the Google crap with Android is annoying enough that it almost tempts me to look into the more advanced options.  The Google App Store is SUCH unbelievable crap; it's just embarrassing.  The Google Play shit that constantly tries to update shit on my phone, etc, no matter how many times I tell it not to . . . just purely offensive.

The YouTube app is so-so.  Honestly, it has a terrible search function and really, really, really, really bad bookmarking.  Navigating the . . . world of available videos . . . is so amateurishly god-awful that it makes me violently knee-jerk against Google's plan to replace URLs with their own idea.  Even moreso than I would have otherwise.  They frankly suck at this stuff.

The selling of user data always amuses me.  It's astonishing that it's worth as much as it is, and even so it's worth less than people pay for it.  No one who buys it has any real reason to believe that they're getting what they're paying for.  You're buying unvetted data that the provider is claiming is XYZ, but there's no check on that.  It's metrics and bullshit.  You could almost just make up your own and keep your money.

Both sell push access to users, too, which is basically advertising / propaganda, and honestly I think that's the more genuinely valuable commodity.  Typically unethical to evil, but valuable.

I use Open Office and similar for word processing and (when I must) spreadsheet stuff.  I use IrfanView for most of my image editing.  I don't do cloud shit, so that's not a problem.  The Open Office stuff isn't perfect but is no worse than MS's products, god knows.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 12:59:48 PM »
I honestly can't complain enough about the idiotic shit behavior of F6 in Chrome.

I'd love it if someone paid me to complain about it for a living.  The more I use Chrome, the more I think that I could do that full-time.