Author Topic: a thread for sharing online video  (Read 144721 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: a thread for sharing online video
« Reply #1335 on: April 04, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
I don't think my nerves are that much better.  I think I'm just really tired.

Flatbed passing on the right . . . can't tell if he's doing it cautiously or if he doesn't have enough power to do it quickly.  Possibly the guy with the trailer is going too slowly to be in the lefthand lane.

Person filming . . . first, tailgating stupidly.  That's not even close to being enough following distance at highway speeds under normal conditions -- and lots of people drive that way, but you shouldn't when the vehicle ahead has a trailer (shit happens, after all), or while a big truck is passing on the right.  And you shouldn't be filming with your damned phone while you're driving.  On the highway.  While tailgating.  A vehicle with a trailer.  While a big truck is passing on the right.

Driver's purely lucky that there wasn't a worse accident than that.  Should be banned from using a phone for six months.  :harumph:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1336 on: April 04, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »
The first time I watched it, I think I actually ducked a little bit.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1337 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:59 PM »
I didn't have time to duck. Too fast. Aged reflexes!

I don't think he was following too close. Didn't seem particularly fast. Around here, if you back off any farther than this someone will come around you and fill the space. Every time. People in cars are stupid.

I do feel strongly the trailer should not have been in the left lane ever, period, the end. If the trailer hadn't been there he might have seen the 2x4 and avoided it.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #1338 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
omg. made me think of DJ Kemistry

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1339 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »
Around here, if you back off any farther than this someone will come around you and fill the space.

Yeah, MA is like that, too, although there didn't seem to be enough traffic in the video for that to happen.

I agree that people follow that closely all the time -- I've done it, certainly, and most drivers have.  It's too close for safety, though.  I'd say they're going about 45-50 MPH.  If she were fully paying attention, it's not unreasonably unsafe, but she obviously isn't fully paying attention, and she either needed to or need to back off.

At a safer distance from the trailer, the 2x4 still would've been a problem; it still most likely would've been tumbling on the road in her path and might not have been any less of a danger.  Probably less dangerous, but maybe not.  But if that truck that she was so concerned about had veered into the vehicle with the trailer, she would've piled into them, too.  And she would have been at fault for that.

The trailer probably shouldn't be in that lane.  Plus they appear to be going rather slowly for that road.  If there were lots of off-ramps, then it might make sense for that vehicle to be in the left lane, with its lessened ability to brake and the possibility of traffic frequently slowing to exit, yadda yadda.  But for all I can tell the guy with the trailer wanted to get into the righthand lane but saw the flatbed coming.  Or maybe the flatbed waited at the back of the left lane for five minutes before trying to pass on the right.  Can't really guess.

Still, I'd definitely say the woman who's filming with her phone while following too closely is the most negligent driver of the three of them.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #1340 on: April 04, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
I dunno. Why would they be filming that in the first place. It's seeming kind of bullshit to me. Plus, there would have been a fuckton of swearing happening when the car got harpooned.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1341 on: April 04, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
If you go to the original video, she explains that she was filming the flatbed because it was a commercial truck that she felt was driving too aggressively, and she wanted to report it.

My complete guess is that it was following her closely while impatiently waiting to use the passing lane to pass, and she naturally didn't like it.  There's a certain measure of irony in the whole thing, but personally I'm just glad I wasn't driving near any of them.

The video ends rather abruptly.  I imagine she was in shock but soon did some cursing.  :lol:  I think it's all real, though.  If you watch it in slow-motion, you can clearly see the 2x4 on the shoulder, being picked up by the trailer's wheel and tossed into the air, etc.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1342 on: April 04, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »
Where's the original?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1343 on: April 04, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
Nurrr . . . I can find it again.  Hang on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOhgMAOrp0c

The video itself is identical, I think.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1344 on: April 04, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
I guess I'm weird.  Must be why I like horror films.  I don't startle or scare.  I've also never understood why some people will say they get sick to their stomachs when dinner conversation goes to bodily functions and stuff.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1345 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
The quality on that one is a little better.

I guess I'm weird.  Must be why I like horror films.  I don't startle or scare.  I've also never understood why some people will say they get sick to their stomachs when dinner conversation goes to bodily functions and stuff.

I dunno. I'm weird like that when it comes to windshields. Maybe putting my face through one had an effect on me  :P

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #1346 on: April 04, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
I didn't jump. Either time. I'm just having a hard time believing all the silence. I've had rocks flying at my windshield before and the swearing pretty much starts the moment they get loft from the tire in front of me. :shrug:

Too much Warcraft/FPS games, prolly.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1347 on: April 04, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
Probably better at cursing and less apt to succumb to the through-the-camera dissociative effect.

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #1348 on: April 10, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »
holy shit! we finally have the technology!1

polyphonic theremin

(be sure to check out the vid at the bottom)
That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1349 on: April 10, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
Is . . . is it real?  I can't help but notice their acronym for the control scheme is IDIOT.

But if it is real, you realize what this means.  Haunted houses will now be five times scarier.

Actually, I just broke down and bought the late-1920s issue of Science & Invention that has the cover article on the newly invented theremin.  Because theremins are stone cold awesome.