Author Topic: a thread for sharing online video  (Read 143932 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: a thread for sharing online video
« Reply #885 on: December 29, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »
That's no squirrel. It's a space station.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #886 on: December 29, 2008, 06:20:51 PM »

"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #887 on: December 29, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »
No kidding on the scary smart.  I love to look out the window at work and watch the murder.  Fascinating stuff.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #888 on: December 29, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »
I dislike corvids.  Any corvids.
Shake your groove thing.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #889 on: December 29, 2008, 10:45:42 PM »
*notes wife's username is "magpy"*
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #890 on: December 29, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »
*readies marshmallow gun*
Shake your groove thing.

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #891 on: December 30, 2008, 02:40:14 AM »
the skwerl probably had the rabies.

i'm immune so i ain't scared to watch it. one time i was feeding a squirrel some french fries. it was climbing up my leg and just sort of sitting there. then it starting freaking out and spinning around in a circle. then it died. weirdest thing i ever saw, squirrel-wise.

That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #892 on: December 30, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
No, corvids are cool.  But many of you people clearly do not read my semiannual rant about squirrels and how weird and different the various species are.  Not that I blame you.

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #893 on: December 30, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »
Squirrels here are odd.  In Missouri they're brown, but I can walk six blocks west, cross the state line into Kansas, and they're suddenly gray.

Squirrel segregation.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #894 on: December 30, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »
Just like the human population of Kansas City.
Shake your groove thing.

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #895 on: December 30, 2008, 12:24:14 PM »
I know!  I thought it was weird that Baton Rouge was less segregated than here.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #896 on: December 30, 2008, 02:23:17 PM »
No, corvids are cool.  But many of you people clearly do not read my semiannual rant about squirrels and how weird and different the various species are.  Not that I blame you.

Are you due for a rant yet? I don't recall reading anything by you about squirrels.

Yes, they are a strange group of critters. We have the Eastern gray squirrel here primarily, an introduced species, which has driven out the mellower Western gray squirrel in the lowlands. The Easterns, which I suspect the carnivorous one in the video to be, are definitely very aggressive.

Up in the foothills you can usually hear, but rarely see the black squirrels. If you throw chipmunks into the equation, they can be bold despite their size. There is also a squirrel variety in the mountains whose name escapes me, that hung out at our favorite campground. When I has working at Wild Birds Unlimited, I'd buy a big bag of hazelnuts to take with us. We'd layout a couple dozen of them and watch to see how many a squirrel could shove into his piehole, and more often there was always one who could get all 24 into his cheek pouches.
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #897 on: December 30, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »
one time i was feeding a squirrel some french fries. it was climbing up my leg and just sort of sitting there. then it starting freaking out and spinning around in a circle. then it died. weirdest thing i ever saw, squirrel-wise.

I don't know how I missed that, but that's the funniest thing I've read today.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #898 on: December 30, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
I just remembered we had a squirrel that lived near our house in North Seattle a few years back that would run around in circles and then collapse on the lawn like it was dead.

You'd go out and prod it with a stick and it seemed dead, but then after a certain point it would suddenly jump up and run away. Scared the shit out of me the first time it happened.

A wildlife biologist told me this kind of behavior can happen in squirrels due to calcium deficiency, poor diet (like french fries? ;) ) or head trauma. :shrug:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #899 on: December 30, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »
Actually, the Search function isn't helping me out finding an old squirrel rant.  How . . . odd.

Squirrels are just weird, in that category of Common But Weirder Than You Realize.  Part of what's weird about them is how popular nature guides often leave out lots of stuff that more scholarly references include, like how some of them dig underground burrows, the whole carnivore thing (Fox squirrels, especially -- they even eat each other sometimes), and their strange range of lifespans.  Some gray squirrel species live like 20 years, but red squirrels typically live around 3 years.

Also, like half the time when someone sees a chipmunk, it's actually a spotted ground squirrel.  Chipmunks are frickin' cute but will eat eggs and baby birds, too, and they dig surprisingly large burrows (although nothing like the bizarro badger burrows).  Chipmunks are major mushroom spore dispersers.  And another weird thing about chipmunks is that there's like one species native to Asia, one native to Eastern North America, and . . . two dozen native to Western North America.  Way to hog the chipmunks, California.