Author Topic: a thread for sharing online video  (Read 144630 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: a thread for sharing online video
« Reply #930 on: January 11, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »

A six minute walk through London.

Anyone know what the music is?
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #931 on: January 11, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »
Renegade Master - Wildchild (Fatboy Slim rmx)

(gawd, that one's ten years old too? wow)

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #932 on: January 11, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
That was pretty sweet.  And that's a pretty sweet walk to work, even if that is only snippets.
Shake your groove thing.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #933 on: January 12, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »
Bjork is Icelandic.  I don't know what possessed her to force that cat to wear a suit, though.  Or what she has smeared on her face.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #934 on: January 12, 2009, 12:09:03 PM »
Thanks, FP!

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #935 on: January 12, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »

(gawd, that one's ten years old too? wow)

Ok, I've spent about an hour bouncing back and forth between Wikipedia and YouTube, trying to figure out what you would call that sound/genre, and I'm like  :trance:

I like it, and I'd like to find other bands/recordings like that. What would you call that? Big Beat?

This is just a few of the listings of alternate techno genres from Wiki: Acid - Detroit - Free tekno - Ghettotech - Jtek - Minimal - Nortec - Schranz - Tech house - Tech trance - Wonky - Yorkshire Bleeps and Bass Ambient Breakbeat Drum and bass Electro Eurodance Hardcore House Industrial Synthpop Techno Trance Trip hop UK garage

:trance:

Help me, FP:cry:

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #936 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
I really like it too.  I've always called it big beat or break beat.

Some of my favorite albums are the Chemical Brothers Loops of Fury ep, The Propellerheads, Headzilla, Fatboy Slim's Better Living Through Chemistry & You've Come A Long Way, Baby, The Wiseguys Start The Commotion (because the video's so great).

Give me a minute, I'll think of more.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #937 on: January 12, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
The Wiseguys Start The Commotion

:clap: Yeah, that's got some of the elements, a little more pop than what I had in mind, but definitely cool stuff.

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #938 on: January 12, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
Fluke's good.  Here's Atom Bomb, but I like Zion better, even though it was in the second Matrix movie when all the humans did that hedonistic dance scene.  Anyway, I wouldn't particularly call Zion big beat, so I'm digressing.

Add N To (X) isn't really big beat either.  They're an actual band, but they sound like the genre.  Check out the video for Metal Fingers In My Body (NSFW) and see what you think.  I think they're great.

Lunatic Calm was big beat, but they didn't really do much for me.  Same for the Crystal Method.  I thought they were pretty slick and unoriginal.  I almost forgot Prodigy, but they're okay.

Scouring through my CDs I see Lionrock, Gearwhore, Lo-Fidelity Allstars who had a hit covering Pigeonhead's Battleflag, and, oh yeah!  Apollo Four Forty.  I always thought Ain't Talking 'Bout Dub was pretty funny, but around that time DJs starting kicking up the bass and treble, and taking away the middle.  Speed it up a notch and you got yourself some Jungle or Drum 'n Bass.  Big beat only lasted from about 1995 to 1998.

Did I miss anybody, Postie?

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #939 on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:23 PM »

I like it, and I'd like to find other bands/recordings like that. What would you call that? Big Beat?

I've always liked this stuff, too, but never knew where to start really.  I know some Euros that are pretty into Drum and Bass.  Not sure if that's the same thing.
Shake your groove thing.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #940 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »
Yes, it's Big Beat. Dunno why it didn't endure like other genres; too centralized on one DJ/label (Fat Boy Slim/Skint) perhaps? I always thought it was a lot of fun. Now the emos are bringing their bleepy 8-bit noises into everything, and so we get new genres like "wonky" and "skweee" instead. (I do sorta like the skweee, it's got that Scandinavian flava to it)

The best example of the style imho would be his "On the Floor at the Boutique" mix cd. Like a good essayist, he begins with his thesis statement, "Apache" by Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band, and then goes on to play a whole set of music largely based on the drum break from that track. His big hit "Rockafeller Skank" is in there ("right about now, the funk soul brotha, check it out now, the funk soul brotha"; heh, that one. As seen in many movies of the era) as well as his remix of Negativland "Michael Jackson" and all sorts of good things. (here, pwd is www.peb.pl shhh  ;))

on preview: No that's a pretty solid list man. haha, I have that Apollo 440 on vinyl somewhere. Battleflag is on the "Songs Nobody Dislikes, Ever" list. Fat Boy Slim started out in the Housemartins, heh. Prodigy has a new album out I haven't heard, but nobody seems to be feeling it much.

Drum 'n bass is not the same thing. It starts at like around 180 bpm and goes up from there. In fact, even tho Norman Cook is an Englishman I'd separate Big Beat apart from the whole UK acid house to breakbeat 'ardcore to jungle to drum 'n bass (to speed garage/UK 2-step to dubstep to bassline/niche to UK funky and/or wonky and j-tek) timeline continuum that's still going on...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:36:53 PM by First Post »

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #941 on: January 12, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
Genre talk always gets weird though. For example, here's a track that makes everybody crazy-go-nuts whenever it's played, while deftly cutting across any sort of genre labeling: press play on Twitch (Jamie Vex'd remix) (it's the b side) and check that shit out, it's like whoa. Whatever it might be genre-wise, it's biiiiig.

(eta: I felt like I should add a warning here that listening to this track might totally unhinge your brain so, like, proceed with caution and stuff  :headbang: :stick: :diablo: :exclaim:  :worship: :jam:)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:04:37 PM by First Post »

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #942 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
What the hell is that Vex feller doing?

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #943 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »
Yeah, whoa  :shock:

Great sound quality  :thumbsup:

Y'all have given me much to explore. I'm DL'ing the Boutique file now...

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #944 on: January 12, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »
I'm DL'ing the Boutique file now...

Oh you are going to love it. It's just a great DJ doing a solid live mix. FBS sort of fell out of favor the way all DJs that get famous do (everybody called him Frat Boy Slim for awhile when he was trendy...can't hate on dancing Walken though), but it didn't mean he suddenly forgot how to play or whatever.

What the hell is that Vex feller doing?

Isn't that something?

This is on Alex's label (the guy who does the show before me on Wed nites; talented jock, swell gent) so I've been hearing it for awhile, but now everybody is playing it. He ended a few of his shows with it, and people of course are going off like ZOMG...then I gotta follow that, haha. Sorta like when Jerry Lee Lewis set the piano on fire and walked offstage and told Chuck Berry to "top that" right? heh, but anyway it gets a big pop wherever it's dropped. But yeah, it's not really something you'd normally mix in the traditional beat-matching sense...it's not like there's a dozen more similar tracks in the crate or anything. But once that thing starts lurching around the speakers it doesn't really matter anymore...