Author Topic: a thread for sharing online video  (Read 143965 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: a thread for sharing online video
« Reply #975 on: February 12, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
I think he's capable of making great movies. That's not to say that he hasn't made some great movies. I have to wonder if he's found comfort in making deliberate B movies - maybe he's scared of doing something really serious that flops.

After Pulp Fiction he directed episode four of Four Rooms, "The Man from Hollywood", a tribute to the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode that starred Steve McQueen. Four Rooms was a collaborative effort with filmmakers Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, and Robert Rodriguez. The film was very poorly received by critics and audiences.

I've never seen that, but maybe that was his attempt at something serious that flopped. I remember watching him on the Actor's Studio - he's like a walking encyclopedia of film, and it's obvious he's got a deep love for film. Strange that he doesn't try to do something more serious. I wish he would - I'd like to see what he's capable of, but then, hey, it's his art, and if that's his thing, then I'm thankful for what he's done so far.

Also, I never would have guessed he was born in Knoxville.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #976 on: February 12, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #978 on: February 12, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »
I've never seen that, but maybe that was his attempt at something serious that flopped.

No, it's pure comedy on a bed of AV nerd.  It IS hilarious, but it might only be funny (or might be much funnier) if you've seen the famous Steve McQueen / Peter Lorre short that he's doing a parody of.  I don't know.  I bet it's pretty funny even if you haven't.

Four Rooms is a really uneven little vignette film starring Tim Roth and a massive cast of supporting actors.  Roth plays a long-suffering bellboy at a hotel.  Four rooms, four short films.  The first segment is about a bunch of topless witches (including Madonna, Sammi Davis, and, particularly memorably, Ione Skye), and it's OK but nothing amazing -- without the nudity, it wouldn't have too much going for it.  Then there's also a misfiring segment where the bellhop falls afoul of a jealous husband.

The other two segments (by Rodriguez and Tarantino) are gold.  Rodriguez's has two misbehaving kids whose parents (Antonio Banderas and Tamlyn Tomita, wowser) pay the bellhop to babysit.  It's friggin' funny.  The last segment is the Tarantino one, which, like the Alfred Hitchcock segment, revolves around a bet that has serious consequences.  The punchline does seriously depend on the tension in the very creepy and classic original version, but, seriously . . . I bet it's funny even if you haven't seen the original.

I don't know about Tarantino and 'serious film'.  I think he really wants to do awesome schlock, and I don't mean "schlock" in a bad way.  Jackie Brown was his homage to blaxploitation, and it's mostly a solid film but turned out to be much more serious and much less schlocky than what I would have expected.  That might be his 'serious' film, so far.

I would be happy to see him settle down and make slightly more mainstream versions of the Grindhouse pictures.  I mean, Nicolas Cage, for instance, is a fine actor who seems determined to make bad movies.  Why not put him in good bad movies?  Wouldn't you rather see Tarantino make, say, a Doc Savage movie (or The Spider . . . oooh) than Bret Ratner, et al? 

I would.  I don't know who's supposed to be directing the upcoming Green Hornet flick, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out badly -- and if Tarantino could've done a better job.  Hey, it makes more sense than having Tim Burton do Batman movies.

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #979 on: February 12, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »
I thought "Four Rooms" was all right... the witchcraft segment is delicious eyecandy... :googily:

But the two segments from the Golden Boys are pretty overrated in hindsight. A whole "vignette" devoted to two kids smelling their feet and an uncredited Bruce Willis walking around talking on a cell phone...the finger-chopping part was pretty funny. I guess.

See, thing is I used to really dig Tarantino, and now I realize it was rather retarded hero worship on my part. Actually, I realized that after sitting through the overindulgent turkey "From Dusk Til Dawn," such an exclusive party they felt the need to film the making of it and release it as a separate movie. . I expected a hell of a lot more out of Rodriguez on the whole. "El Mariachi" was fantastic. Everything afterwards was great in terms of camera work, but spread too thinly otherwise. Didn't see his movies for kids, so I wouldn't know about those....

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #980 on: February 12, 2009, 10:57:46 PM »
My ex just sent me this, and holy crap did I laugh:

Kittens inspired by kittens

I think we actually have that exact same book at the shop.  If so, I may have to buy it.

Rodriguez's stuff is uneven, and I do think it often gets fanboy overrated, but Mariachi has a kind of low-budget gritty ultra-brilliance, and Desperado is a sort of duende kung fu, a very spiffy spaghetti-with-chili Western.  Desperado is sometimes a little too self-impressed, or maybe just overconfident, and I think it stumbles slightly into a different flavor of melodrama when his brothers show up, but even that part certainly has its moxie.  Haven't seen the third one yet.

The kids' movies are . . . odd.  Rodriguez said he deliberately tried not to think about other kids' movies or other spy movies, etc, as much as possible, but just to make crap up as he went along.  I saw the first one, and, yeah, he hit that target.  It's almost like Spirited Away in terms of That's Not Your Usual Story Element.  Form and mode, perfectly recognizeable; execution, very strange.  Hits and misses, but worth seeing.  I only saw the first one, though.

That last Four Rooms segment depends on tension, and the walkin'-and-talkin' is part of that, but maybe it really does depend on knowing ahead of time where it's going and just wondering how it's going to get there.  The whole point of the remake-of-the-original is the abrupt changes in flow.  It's entirely possible, too, that back in the day the uncredited Bruce Willis appearance was more of a surprise and added more to it.  I can't guess, from here and now.  :shrug:

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #981 on: February 13, 2009, 01:16:26 AM »
that Kittens video is awesome and going on my facebook.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #982 on: February 13, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »
My ex just sent me this, and holy crap did I laugh:
    Kittens inspired by kittens

roffle!!
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

hajen

• Trusted
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #984 on: February 15, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

sm0k4

• Trusted
  • My scholarship is superior
« Reply #985 on: February 28, 2009, 01:20:21 PM »

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #986 on: March 02, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rollin:

That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

hajen

• Trusted

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #988 on: March 14, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »
"If Safari quits unexpectedly, should I force quit?"

:lol:

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #989 on: March 17, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »
Lyre bird.

If it wasn't David Attenborough, I wouldn't have believed it.