Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61916 times)

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
Shopping!
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
I went out shopping today to Steve & Barry's.

A) Their sizes run small. As in, an XL t-shirt (a babydoll style one, I guess) didn't fit me. Whatever. Also I know I am overweight, but I am NOT that much above average, and it's disappointing to not be able to wear cute things because the biggest size they have makes you look like a string of sausages.

B) I spent $84 and got the following: 2 pair of jeans ($11 each), 2 "boxer-style" shorts, 2 leather belts, a polo, another top, a UVA hoodie (for only $12.98!!), and a pair of athletic pants.

C) My concern with this is that I'm sure some small child somewhere made my clothes for like $.50/month. I've looked but I can't seem to dig up any dirt on Steve & Barry's online. I guess that's a good thing, but I'm still uneasy about how this stuff is so cheap when it looks like decent quality.

Overall it was pretty good. I'd definitely go back to get more jeans if I lose, like, 25lbs. :P

Find any good deals lately?

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »
Funny, I just read about this a little bit ago. You might find these links interesting:

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/20/q-a-sarah-jessica-parker/ (context - SJP's line for Steve & Barry's)
http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/22/sjp-follow-up-labor-and-costs/ (the ethics of the cheap clothes)
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
I generally buy jeans through Sportsman's Guide.com.  I've heard their manufacturing processes are OK, but I've never seen anything much either way about that.  I do buy their in-house jeans, which last about 3-4 years and cost me about $13 a pair (plus, alas, S&H), but they mostly carry other manufacturers (close-outs, overstocks, discontinued styles).

SG is like any bargain catalog company.  You're best off if you have a pretty good idea of what you're buying, since you can't examine it much yourself and can't necessarily trust the description 100%.  You also want to be prepared to send something back if it doesn't fit, isn't as described, etc.  Their return policy is pretty good (you can return anything, at any time, for any reason), but you have to pay return shipping in most cases.

Their S&H is way too high, if you ask me, but it's definitely comparable to a lot of other online places, and they're generally still very competitive once you calculate the overall price.  Still, just as with being sure of what you're buying, it's worth researching the price.  Some of their bargains are OK, and some are massive steals. 

Of course, one reason I like them is that they do government and military surplus, which is not a factor for everyone.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »
I've been shopping for clothes lately because when I pulled out my "summer wardrobe," everything was either too big for me or was past its expiration date (not in the fashion trend sense, but the "been washed too many times" sense).

So there's a new Target and a Kohl's about 10 miles from my house (it's becoming less and less "the boonies" out here, which is a topic for another time). Target has really gone downhill in its clothing, IMHO. Not even really that cheap anymore, and the quality has gone down. But Kohl's is acceptable, especially when it comes to their sales. I just wanted some cheap summery clothes I wouldn't feel bad about downsizing next summer (when hopefully I've lost more weight).

The first time I went into Kohl's I went through the women's section and was lucky -- I got a pair of cotton knit mid-calf length yoga pants and some spaghetti strap tank tops.

But my experience has always been that since I'm tall and have a long torso, I find better suited clothes in the men's section, which I did -- cargo shorts and nice short sleeve button-up shirts. I find that men's clothes always seem to be less expensive and better made.

Women's clothes have always driven me crazy. Why can't women's pants (and blazers) have pockets? Why do women's shoes have no support in them to speak of? And why are there so few out-layer type options (like coats, light jackets or cardigans) in the women's section? Are women not supposed to wear jackets?

Most of my shoes come from the men's section, too, because some stores don't always stock sizes larger than 10 in the women's section. Invariably, my men's shoes outlast similar styles in women's shoes in durability (and comfort).
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
If I were a woman, I'd wear men's clothes.  As it is, the vast majority of clothing sold to men in this country is too fashionized and not functional enough to please me.

Ljdjr

• Honolululu
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 02:28:31 AM »
Find any good deals lately?

Damn if I'm not obsessed with online shopping right now.  Addicted to this SlickDeals website.  Found these speakers which I ordered on Tuesday.  Anyway they got here today and they sound great for $35. (after two $20 rebates, one online).  Here's the thread  Shipping was actually free this time!  Usually Free Ground means $20 to here, otherwise I'd have boughten a bunch more by now.

I'm building my first computer right now and I've been having fun obsessing over the choices.

Ljdjr

• Honolululu
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 03:28:46 AM »
FREE cigar.  No shipping.  If you're into that kinda thing.

http://www.freehupmannsample.com

Supposedly a reputable company.  Slick Deals thread

gomichild

• Cerebral Soup
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:24:29 PM »
Guh trying living in the midget land where the majority of women have no hips and little boobage.

It was only 5 years ago that I could buy pants long enough. Most foreign women wait until they go overseas and shop and do it online.

At least I'm Japanese shoe size though.

sm0k4

• Trusted
  • My scholarship is superior
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 06:08:34 AM »
I'm gonna get this for my nephew's birthday in a few weeks. He's turning 17.

He probably won't get it quite yet, but he'll grow into it.  ;) 

DM

• Trusted
  • DM Here
    • Dangermonk.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 09:42:58 AM »
My new toy:

Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Desktop Solution
22 in (22 in viewable) E228WFPWide Aspect Digital Flat Panel
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Serial ATA 2 RAID 0 With Dual 500GB Hard Drives
3.5in Floppy Drive
19-in-1 Media Card Reader
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,Service Pack 2,English
56K PCI Data Fax Modem
16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW
Sound Bar with power adapter for all Enrty Flat Panel Displays

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »
Fax modem eh????

Welcome to 1989 my good friend!!!

Tell me, where is the beef???

hahahaha.

;) :lol:

DM

• Trusted
  • DM Here
    • Dangermonk.com
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 10:29:12 AM »
I have no idea why that was included.  I'll never use it.  I did pay $10 to get a floppy drive though. 

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 10:34:34 AM »
Nice little beastie. Backups are going to take a while.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

DM

• Trusted
  • DM Here
    • Dangermonk.com
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »
I'm going to try to limit the use of it to school, so it shouldn't be too bad.  I have enough power and space to last me for a while though. 

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 10:57:38 AM »
I have no idea why that was included.  I'll never use it.  I did pay $10 to get a floppy drive though. 

My laptop supposedly has fax-modem capability but I never use it. When Carrie and I got our mortgage the broker at the bank wanted to send me a document and asked me if I had a fax machine at home. I joked to his face that it wasn't 1985 - that he could email me the document. He looked kind of hurt at the 1980s fax jab - and the fucker is probably younger than me...   :eyeroll: :shrug: