Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61093 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
Wow . . . they have a lot of stuff.  I can't find the kind of bracket I was looking for, though.  And their shelving is too expensive for me.

Right now, I'm trying to decide whether or not to drop almost $250 on an extension ladder.  I really need one, but they're so damned expensive, and I have to have the thing delivered to the house.  I could get a 24' aluminum extension ladder for as little as about $170 (without delivery), but I'm not 100% sure if it would be tall enough to get me onto my roof.  It might just barely be too short.  A 28' ladder would be a good bet, but the prices are such that, at that point, I might as well get a fiberglass one, especially since there are all kinds of wires draped near my house.

Meh.  Feh!

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »
I hate how ladders cost so much. I need an orchard ladder but am really, really resistant to paying $300 for one barely higher than my head. C'mon, I'm picking fruit, not checking my kid's part for nits!
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
:hmm:  I've never bought or owned an orchard ladder.

The googles seem to find 'em in 7' and 8' sizes for under $200, although that may not include shipping.  But if they're as expensive as all that, I'd just buy a step ladder (you can get an 8' one for under $100) and, if necessary, modify it.  Making a removeable tripod leg for it, and possibly lateral stabilizers for the front, could easily be a one-day project.

Ladders are so stupidly expensive that I was seriously considering just making my own from lumber and pipe.  I also considered the plausibility of buying two 16' extension ladders -- which you can do for well under $150 -- and, as needed, putting the two wider sections over one of the narrower sections to make a three-piece 24' extension ladder.  It would be a lot more utility for less money, although it would be unwieldy for a single person. 

Also, my insurance company wouldn't like it if they knew, although in theory it's even sturdier than a regular extension ladder.  Still, it's a design not usually used for general contractor and homeowner applications.  For some reason.  More opportunities for mechanical failure; more user attention required.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »
I've thought about modding a cheap ladder, but the single 'back' leg is only half the deal: the other half is the curved-out rails. They're supremely stable. I should just shell out. Damn. The big deal is hte HUGE price step between the 8' and 10' ladders. You know the materials are a few pennies different, but they want $50 more. MOTHER FUCKERS.

Grr.

:angry:
:irate:

:cyber:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
If that's the issue, I'd say get a short extension ladder and regular extension-ladder base stabilizers, which are way cheaper than the difference in price for an orchard ladder.  Then all you need is the tripod leg.

It must be the curved rails and relatively low volume sold that jacks the price way up. 

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »
Since lumber is so expensive how about a PVC ladder?  I wonder how much weight one of those could handle?
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »
Since lumber is so expensive how about a PVC ladder?  I wonder how much weight one of those could handle?

My guess is not too much.  It would splinter, I would think.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »
There are a few kinds of PVC, but none of them are meant for that kind of stress.  They're designed not to rupture from internal pressure, and that's about it.  The flexy type would bend and then shatter, and the granulated type would crumble.

You could make one from aluminum bits, but it would be so much trouble it'd be more of an art project than anything else.  It might be possible to make one from glue lam I-beams, which are engineered wood and lighter than simple lumber, but you'd have to be careful how you did it (no attachments to the webbing), and those are meant to mostly resist stress perpendicular to the beam.

There's an AWESOME ladder technology that alas has been 'lost' since 1940 or so, although, really, it's a crime that fire departments don't use it.  You know those triangular cross-section metal derrick radio towers?  They're basically a link of squares or triangles on three sides.  Back in the 1930s, an engineer came up with a system where one edge is linked together, not welded, and the other two are hinged, so you can unlink one edge and unfold the thing so it lies flat.

Then he also hinged each vertical course, so that when it's unlinked and unfolded, it can bend -- and he rolled it up on a reel.  Now it's tiny and portable.  Then he built a 'zipper' mechanism so that the tower automatically folds and links itself into a rigid tower as you unreel it.  He made a 100' demonstration model that you could put in the back of a full-size pickup.  Now you've got a heavy reel of metal; now you've got an extensible tower / ladder.  It's extremely strong and could be almost any length. 

The same tech would also be good for, say, military use -- putting up a comm tower or extending a bridge across a river from one side.  I've never seen it outside of ancient Popular Mechanics and such, but maybe it's in specialized use somewhere.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
Yeah, those are used all the time for temporary towers for aerosol sampling and whatnot. You can't see it too well in the video but one of the edges is some kind of flanged connector and the others hinge.

Edit, no, not like the one you describe, sorry. That sounds more like an extendable antenna thing used on spacecraft.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »
I got used to years of going grocery shopping in the middle of the night, and now I really, really hate going when the store's crowded.  But since I have to get up reasonably early every morning now and have trouble getting enough sleep, I generally can no longer go to Meijer at 2 AM.  Consequently, I tend to put off grocery shopping as long as I can.

Well, at this moment I have oatmeal, egg noodles, coffee, and bouillon.  I had oatmeal and coffee for breakfast.  I'll make egg noodles in broth for dinner, but I guess I'll go grocery shopping tomorrow.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »
Here's what I want:  Solar-powered turntables for houseplants.  I've seen vaguely-right-idea products made for hanging plants, but they turn too fast, anyway.  Ten degrees per hour would be fast enough for me.

I could rig something up -- and for cheaper than the hanging-plant ones, which seem to run around $25 -- but realistically I know I probably won't get around to it.  Meanwhile, half my plants need to be turned at least every other day, and the bigger ones maybe twice a week.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
Been a little eBay crazy for the past month. Tonight I scored some hawt bright green heels, and a denim pencil skirt (that I hope fits). Happy happy sun revolution to me.
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
I need a black straight skirt and some new heels - a pink pair and maybe a purple pair.  Some stranger has taken over my wardrobe, but she's doing a great job.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:04 AM »
Talix in pink heels!  :knotty:
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
Talix in pink heels!  :knotty:

Sounds like a good way to update that Velvet Underground song