Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61045 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »
We need a new cheap all-in-one printer, as our behated Epson crapmachine has finally died the death of death.

Any recommendations?  $100 is certainly out of my budget.  It mostly needs to be a reasonable color inkjet, and it should be a reasonable scanner, too.  We don't need to scan anything in high resolution.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »
We have completely bailed on HP and our Canon all in one has served us great for over a year now.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2010, 09:46:57 AM »
Two flat tires on the handtruck.  New wheels:  $12.95 each.  New identical handtruck:  $28.  This is one of those heavy-duty 600 lb-rated steel-framed jobs, too.

WTF.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2010, 09:51:03 AM »
Well it only stands to reason that the metal frame is worth $2. It's the least important part, after all.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »
Damn that's cheap,,,where did you get it for only 29 bucks?  I pay way more for mine, even the folding kind that only rate like 275-250 lbs
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »
I have noticed that, about the wheels.
However I paid extra and got the fancy solid-ish ones. They'll never go flat again.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »
Harbor Freight.

They sell good stuff cheap and crappy stuff even cheaper.  You gotta watch out for the crap, but their crap is cheap.

The only thing I ever got screwed on was a hole saw set I bought there on sale for like $3 where the center bit is hilariously out of true.  Er, that is, it's a drill bit that has circular saw blades (in various sizes) that you can attach so you can drill big holes (like upto 4" across).  But the drill bit is at maybe a 30 degree angle.  WAY crooked.  Useless.

I could have brought it back, but I didn't even open the box for like six months.  My error.  But $3 . . . no big deal.  The blades are still good, so when I eventually need a hole saw and buy another cheapass kit, I'll have replacement blades.

Really good hole saws are sold individually, by size, and can be like $25 and up.  The cheap kits aren't very good, but they're a lot cheaper.  They also make dial-a-size ones that are really really really really slow for cutting through wood, and sometimes won't cut through wood at all, but which are brilliant for glass, plexiglass, cardboard, pressboard, etc.  I just borrow my brother's, though.

Anyway.  Harbor Freight.  Their shipping is pretty cheap, if you buy online, but their shipping is fairly crappy, so do inspect the box before you sign for it.  They're cheap for a reason.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »
Solid wheels = :thumbsup:.  I didn't buy the one we already have.  It's just my job to fix it.  And no matter how many linchpins I supply for our adjustable-size handtruck, the owner here loses them and asks for more.  Seriously, I'm long past just giving him a pair of big nails each time.  YOU ALWAYS LOSE THE PINS.

I want to take the old flat handtruck tires home and try fixing them with expanding foam or something, but it's one of those things I never get around to.  I wanted to try that with my ever-leaky bike tires, too, but the shocks on my bike suck, so reducing the springiness of the tires might be too much for my old-man ass.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »
Yeah. The tubeless ones, I have no idea what you do. Once they're unbeaded even if you fix the hole you can't just blow them back up. I took them to Dal Pozzo Tire and they said they'd remount them for $12, WHAT A COINCIDENCE. Anyway. These solid ones are great, and yes they cost more than buying a whole new equivalent dolly with shitty tubeless tires that can't be fixed, but I think this is going to be a win.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
Exactly.  If I could rebead the damned things myself, I'd try just putting a can of Slime in each one and spinning it for twenty minutes until the tire was evenly 50% Slime in there.  But it's maddening to try. 

With the expanding foam, I'd probably wind up with wheels that are hopelessly no longer round, and the foam's rigid enough so that bumping it hard over a sticking-out threshold might still give you a flat by crushing the foam inside.  I could take a tire off, put in pipe insulation for tough flexy cushioning, and then foam the inner diameter, but how would I get it back on the wheel?  Couldn't.

As it is, I bought cheaper wheels ($4 each on sale) of the right diameter, but they're much narrower, so I'll have to make spacer blocks out of 2x4, and . . . everything is so much more complicated when you don't just have money to throw at the problem.

pdrake

« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
We need a new cheap all-in-one printer, as our behated Epson crapmachine has finally died the death of death.

Any recommendations?  $100 is certainly out of my budget.  It mostly needs to be a reasonable color inkjet, and it should be a reasonable scanner, too.  We don't need to scan anything in high resolution.

a pox on epson.

i bought a lexmark 2600 and have been quite happy with it. i think it was $50. ink is cheaper, also.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2010, 08:55:09 AM »
I am so thrilled with my new shoes! Not the ones I got the other night (they are too small! I hope I can stretch the leather a little so they fit) - I got some more Melissas because I *heart* them. On sale! I got these green ones and the same style in purple. So comfortable, I can't believe it. So cute.

The design is a collaboration with these designers and the company:
http://www.bonluxat.com/a/Fernando_and_Humberto_Campana_Corallo_Chair.html

I don't bother explaining that though, people just say "huh, I had jellies back in the '80s, but they hurt my feet" *shrug*

[attachment deleted by admin]
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »
Seriously, what is wrong with me?  This month cost me $200 in text message overages (whoops!) and $250 in charity donations, not to mention a night at Dunes Manor in OC...so of course I needed $80 worth of Loft shirts sent to my home!  *sings to herself "IIIIIIIII'm shooooooooopping!"*
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »
You *really* need Google Voice.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »
I have text deactivated on my phone.  Send me an email and I'll get around to it in a week or so.  Send me a voice mail and I'll completely miss it and maybe listen a month later.  But the best way to get in touch with me is my regular online haunts.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM