Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 60283 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »
I don't know what Squinkies and zoobies are, but they sound pretty cool.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
I just learned about squinkies yesterday.  No idea what a zoobie is.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
Zoobles not Zoobies.  They are a lot like the Squinkies but bigger.  They are also little animals but they pop down into little balls instead of living in little balls.   The Squinkies are gumball sized and actually have a little gumball machine you put them in and put money in to get them out.  Like a little bank.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »
Oh. I would have guessed they were both 90% sugar.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »
They sound like choking hazards to me.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2010, 11:47:59 PM »
What isn't? Well, besides your elbow.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »
What isn't? Well, besides your elbow.

Fire Hydrants.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »
For the really serious Star Wars reenactment types...

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »
Hmph.  No hermetic seal.

edit:  Apparently it's supposed to be a magnetic seal.  Well, that either.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
Oh.  So, a little weird:  At the mall last night, right, and it was DESERTED.  Seriously, we were there at like 7 PM, 2.5 weeks before Xmas, and the parking lot was mostly empty.  Inside, it was like stepping into a timewarp to half an hour before closing on the second Sunday of February. 

When we were in Macy's, we were followed by salespeople trying to get us to buy something -- it was seriously pathetic.  The woman from the Men's Clothing department followed us across the store and into the Kitchen department, trying to talk my brother into buying a pair of shoes.  He didn't even stop to look at the shoes; we just walked past them, and she latched onto us.

The kiosk people were all standing in a group, just shooting the shit, because there were no shoppers around.  It was surreal.  We went into the big local bookstore there, and I counted four other customers and eight employees standing around, bored out of their minds.

I don't know if everyone's shopping online or got their stuff right after Thanksgiving or what, but it doesn't bode well for the local mall.  Of course, I haven't been to the mall since last December, and there are hardly any worthwhile stores there, but somehow I don't think that if the mall dies it will actually return businesses to the downtown areas a whole lot.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
It's been a dreary day here today - typical gray winter day. It's a little warmer than it has been (48), and the cold is going to be coming back with a vengeance, so on a whim, I stopped at the dollar store to get something to hang some holiday (read: anti-depressant) lights.

The place was packed. I found the one thing I needed for $1 and got in the shortest check-out line, which was also the line with people who had the fewest items. I should have known to move to another line. The guy at the front of the line was buying 6 identical bottles of dish-washing liquid, and that's all  :hmm: Then he pulls out a prescription bottle from his pocket and pours out a bunch of change. The check-out guy counted the change and told the old man, who was African, I think, that it wasn't enough. The old man pulls out another prescription bottle and dumps it out. This one contains mostly pennies. Still not enough, so then the old man pulls out bills and pays with that instead  :eyeroll: The guy at the check-out counter, who was a young kid, was extremely polite and patient during the whole thing, and he was doing the math in his head to determine how much more change the old man needed each time. Pretty impressive these days. However, I don't think it helped, in that the old man either didn't understand English very well, or had no concept of how much the coins were worth. So after the old man pulled out the bills, the check-out guy put all the coins back in the bottles for him and he was on his way. After the old man left, everybody in the line was like  :shock: :lol:

I took the whole thing as a sign for me to not do anymore shopping if possible until the holidays are over.

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »
Oh yeah.  Me too.  Grocery shopping only, and that's during off hours.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
I use TurboTax every year, even though I haven't liked it since at least ten years ago.  They made the federal part free for people in my sad income bracket, but federal taxes are pretty easy.  It's the state part that's usually complicated, especially after you live in a few different states.

Anyway, this year, to hell with it, I decided to try the H&R Block software instead after I got a Buy.com coupon for it.  Went to Buy.com, looked at the description . . . is this the right version?  The picture of the box says federal and state, but the description is woefully vague.  Search, and the only other version that comes up says federal-only.  Fine, whatever.  It's like 50% as much as TurboTax.

I do the whole purchase, and on the Gratz You Bought Shit page it says Stuff Other People Also Bought . . . and has three other versions of the H&R Block software on there, including a Deluxe or whatever version for $5 more.  I don't know what the difference is -- at that particular moment, I didn't feel like trying to see -- but farking hell, man.

Meanwhile, no confirmation email, and that was Wednesday.  Bank says my credit card was charged, so presumably something will arrive, but what the hell.  :thumbsdn:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2011, 03:34:05 PM »
We're having multiple ancient computer failures at work, and the upshot is that I'm going to have to go to the university surplus store to look for cheap replacement stuff quick.

What do compost, pillows, cars, and bowling pins have in common? You can find them all at the MSU Surplus Store (at one time or another), along with hundreds of other items.

Verrry . . . dangerousss.

:uncertain:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »
So . . . I need a large stainless steel funnel, for the coffee-making project.  I thought a bar funnel would be ideal, since it would have at least one size of removable strainer, but I couldn't find anything suitable.  Funnels meant for cocktails are too small and have strainers that wouldn't catch sediment or grounds, and funnels meant for wine appear to also be meant for ass-raping, based on their prices.  They seem to be unsuitable for the coffee project, anyhow.

Canning funnels, though -- there's a pretty good range there.  The really nice ones are out of my price range, so I went looking for cheaper ones, and in the end I wound up back at my usual restaurant supply place.  And bought 2000 Splenda packets for $30 and a fine mesh dishwasher-safe 4" strainer for $3.50.

But I forgot to buy a funnel.  :doh:

Also, unless I do by lab equipment, I'm not finding anything that would let me automatically decant a large container (into a funnel) at a slow speed of my choosing.  Instead, I'll have to stand there and carefully do it by hand.  That will suck if I'm doing two gallons at a low speed -- I'll have to hold a heavy, cold glass container precisely in place at the right angle for several minutes.

I'm trying to think of another mechanical solution, but everything I've thought of so far is too expensive or elaborate.  Maybe I should have bought that lab separator funnel after all.