Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 60322 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
I need to be chaperoned.

Ooooh yeahhhh. :knotty:

I spent a while looking over some $1300 automatic espresso/latte machines at William S. Onoma the other night. Poor clerk thought I was serious.
Clerk: "Our 10% off sale ends tonight!"
Me: "Oh, and when does the 90% off sale start?"
Clerk: :nonplused:

"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2011, 11:12:21 PM »
I will defend my $20 Mr.Coffee that works just fine to the surprisingly-not-bitter end.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »
:thumbsup:  Those simple little coffee machines are basically passive drip filters plus a percolator that just percolates clean water, plus a heating element in the base.  With the occasional vinegar cleaning, they can last almost forever.

People sent me their Xmas lists with all the "expensive items" removed.  Two of them still had over half a dozen $100+ items on there.  Keep dreaming.  I have about $100 to spend total for gifts this season.

Better yet, immediately following the lists were the cross-lists of Things The Rest Of Us Already Bought Off Those Gift Lists . . . and the people I know who make five and ten times as much as I do have already bought most of the cheap items off each others' lists.

:eyeroll:

McDonald's gift certificates all around!  Well, we'll see.  This stuff doesn't upset me; it just stimulates my irony gland.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
Kava kava!

In other news . . . for reasons I won't try to explain, I've been looking to see if I could find an English butcher's trilby for sale.  I mean, not one belonging to a specific butcher, but the kind that English butchers wear at work.  Alas, not so far.

But this.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »
We finally got everybody in the right place to get my nephew's (the one in Moorpark) Christmas present. He's 8, and finally doing better with surprises, and so we told him it was to get his present but we didn't tell him where we were going.

Kid's jaw dropped completely walking in. Apparently he'd never considered the possibility of a fairly large store devoted to Harry Potter (Whimsic Alley, on the "Miracle Mile" in LA). Poor kid was again delightfully shocked when a customer in front of us used a quill (ball point) to sign the credit card statement.

Then we told the clerk we were there to get him a wand. The clerk did an absolutely wonderful job, and is probably quite used to seeing the expressions of shock on kids' faces.

His mom is making him read the books before watching the matching movie (go mom!). His dad, who's never read them, though that my nephew was getting bored because he wanted (although he denies it) to see the next movie. My sister-in-law has to point out that he's up to page 430 in the current book - apparently he assumed the books were all about the same length.

We might have him for a week this summer. They have a summer day camp program.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »
WAIT WHAT IS THIS PLACE ON WILSHIRE OMG I HAVE TO GO THERE
WITH THE KIDS I MEAN THE KIDS WILL LOVE IT
REALLY
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2011, 01:03:24 AM »
http://www.whimsicalley.com/

They do have adult costumes. And last summer they had a costume murder mystery.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2011, 01:06:09 AM »
Oh now I'm jealous.  :angry:
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
I screamed. My wife was :nonplused:

Surely the kids will understand. THIS IS IMPORTANT

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
courtesy of Magpy

BAM!  Thank Magpy for me.

It'll have to wait until January, but that's awesome.  I'm tempted to make all bookstore clerks wear them.

Well, at my shop.  I can't control B&N, etc.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
I will defend my $20 Mr.Coffee that works just fine to the surprisingly-not-bitter end.

this

:detta:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
Man, I had to do a bunch of Xmas shopping, and it struck me yet again that I still have not seen a single impressive sale, aside from ones on big flatscreens.  Nothing like years past.  It seems weird to me.  I see a lot of 20% OFF or Free Shipping, and that's really about it.

:shrug:

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2011, 09:42:18 AM »
I want to know what the hell the deal is with the "here's a % off coupon but you won't know til you're checking out how much it's for!"  "It could be %10 up to %50!"
I'm pretty sure I am not interested in testing my luck when I'm shopping with limited cash.  Thank you not ao much.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING