Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 60312 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
I want to hoard like I hoard, but I want to go back to being an organized hoarder.  My house has not recovered from my insanely messy tenantguest, and since he moved out . . . what, over a year ago, anyway . . . I'm obviously not getting anywhere.  It is nigh impossible to simultaneously (A) neaten and reorganize, (B) add more stuff, and (C) internet forever.

I want, like, a hundred banker's boxes.  I want storage like the Mythbusters have.  But I don't want to pay anything like $2 per box.  The cheapest I've been able to find so far is $17 for 12 not-top-quality banker's boxes from a disreputable vendor, and that doesn't include S&H that apparently I can't discover without pretty much placing the order.

Meh.  We end up with lots of extra boxes at work, but it's rare that they're the same size and shape, and rarer that they're the type with lids.  The type with lids is actually enormously more useful than the type with flaps if you plan to keep them on shelves.  And they stack much better, too.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
If they're not the same size and shape it makes it more fun.  Like Tetris.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
:lol:

No, I've done that kind of storage, and that's the kind where, yes, you have a lot of stuff jammed into a relatively small space, but, no, you can't really get at any of it.  In which case even I don't really see the point in having it.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »
Go to a Big Lots store. They often have good deals on storage boxes/banker's boxes. Just watch out for the freakish clientele.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
Huh!  I haven't been to one in a couple of years, but there used to be one about ten miles west of here.  I don't remember seeing such things there, but maybe I was looking wrong.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
I think their "wares" vary pretty wildly. Whatever particular business has gone tits up that they scavenge from will be whatever's available. If nothing else, there's always some pretty disturbing candy and seasonal items to be found. And so much unintentional humor to be found that it's glorious.

The same goes for Garden Ridge, except for when you catch them in between seasons. I'd talked the place up for months and when Vike and I finally stopped in - it was meh. Christmas was long done and Jesus Weekend hadn't started yet. Embarassingly anticlimactic.

OF COURSE
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »
And so much unintentional humor to be found that it's glorious.

YES, this is absolutely true, and why I love remainder and clearance stores, although it's also why I have to avoid them, by and large.  Dangerous.  The last time I was at Big Lots, it was full of crazy decor that looked like it had come from Martha Stewart's Edward Gorey collection. 

I bought two . . . wastebaskets? Planters? Vases? . . . and turned them into lamps.  I passed up many, many, many wonderful things.  If you wanted a Victorian brown wood-and-bronze filigree vase four feet tall, they had them for like $10.  I think I got out of there with just the two baskety things because I didn't have a shopping cart.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »
This happens to me all the time, including today:

- Have brilliant idea, but it requires something that's just too expensive to justify it.

- Shop around for expensive thing.  Yeah, too expensive.

- Months later, get email from supplier that includes insanely discounted price on expensive thing!  Totally reasonable now.

- But now I can't !@$# remember what I wanted that thing for.

Nowadays I don't buy the thing hoping that I'll remember the project later.  I'm sure I'll remember it a week from now, when the thing is no longer on sale.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »
BUY ALL THE THINGS!
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »
I KNOW but I have no money and no storage space.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
Fuck yeah. Groceries, eight bags of dirt, a hose, some deck stain for the barriers, p1g n33d5, and some planters that should arrive in about two hours.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
BUY ALL THE THINGS!

This post makes me think you're my wife in disguise. Please don't be.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
I was excited today just to be able to buy earplugs for swimming.  :eyeroll:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
Yeah!  Thank god they repealed that law!

But, seriously, good stuff.  I haven't been swimming since . . . OK, I can't remember.  The last time I can think of is almost 25 years ago.  :trance:

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »
It is nigh impossible to simultaneously (A) neaten and reorganize, (B) add more stuff, and (C) internet forever.

So true it hurts.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof