Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61091 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »
What Not To Wear should be called How To Be Self-Conscious If You're Not Wealthy.  It's for jeering at, not for educational purposes.

I mean, you don't watch Cupcake Wars to learn how to make lemon curry pork cupcakes.  I hope.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
Ask SuiteP's sister if you look good in a hat. Since I already know she'll say yes (no matter which sister), problem solved.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Hisey

• Trusted
  • [Internally screaming]
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
Ok, well my mom justs likes to be hateful to me.
I have mom like that. But now she's got dementia and doesn't remember. I do, however.
Y'all

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »
:hug: s to all with sucky moms
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
I feel the need to mention that while my mom is a crappy mom, she is an excellent Grandma.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Often the way.  Often.  Pressure's off.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »
ObTopic:  Took my three female clerks shopping today as a team-building thing.  We went to the local giant indoor flea market thing, which the younger two had not seen before.  They tried on many vintage hats and bought things like frilly antique lampshade, tooled leather purse, vintage suitcase, and I don't know what else.

I was hoping to find some cheap wheels for my scooter project, but, alas, no, although I could've bought a circa-1920 wheelchair to steal the wheels off.  But it was really in nice shape, so I'd hate to take it apart, and I shouldn't decorate with wheelchairs.  Although it's probably more comfortable than my wheeled office chair . . . .

But anyway.  I did buy 1960s lacquered wooden waterskis, that look like they were never used, for the scooter project.  A circa 1900 two-handed 30" serrated corn knife (exciting, looks like it was made for the zombie wars).  A proper miter saw with a frame to keep the saw straight and infinitely adjustable angle, left or right. 

Also a miniature ciupaga, rather like this except child-sized (about 24") and without the ice spikes or spearpoint, but the head is a bit nicer.  Weird.  And I bought a thing that looked like a cross between a woodwind and a potato masher grenade, labeled "Old Thing", that turns out to be one of these except over a foot tall and cross-drilled as if for ventilation or something.

Oh, and a circa 1910 ulu-type chopper, because what the hell.

All for under $100.  Haven't really done the mad-money thing in a long time, so that was fun.  The saw and skis (assuming I do actually build the scooter) will be functional. and they were the most expensive.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
Oh, I also got a big 20" bastard file in there, too, because I have a feeling the scooter project will require some filing.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #263 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #264 on: August 27, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »
I like that!  :detta:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

Hisey

• Trusted
  • [Internally screaming]
« Reply #266 on: August 27, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
Y'all

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #267 on: August 27, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
Memorial forest > stone cemetery.

In a town I grew up in, they had a colonial-era graveyard (still in use; quite a range of headstone styles), but one famous guy . . . naturally I forget who . . . had an oak tree planted on top of his grave back in 17something.  The thin tombstone was semi-embedded in the base of the tree when I was a kid.  Tree was huge.

You can't really do better.  Insurance policy could have a new tree planted if something happens to yours.  Service could propagate the tree if it needs its seeds scattered. 

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #268 on: August 27, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »
So.  Took EL from work and went shopping at the local Volunteers of America.  Tomorrow is half-price day (always the last Tuesday of the month), but I work open to close on Tuesdays.  :whatever:

She spent like $10 and got four sweaters and two shirts.  She mightily wanted shoes, but we don't pay her much, alas, so she's strict about the impulse shopping, even at those prices.  She might go back tomorrow with one of the other clerks, though.

God, they have such awesome furniture there.  Needs reupholstering and such, but still.

Anyway.  I got a 20" boy's BMX bike for $12 to cut up for my scooter project.  I was hoping for 16" wheels, but kids' bikes that small generally don't have terribly strong wheels (go figure), and adult wheels that size are rare and, thus, expensive.  Good enough.  This bike needs a new rear tire, but the front one's good, both wheels are straight, the fork is useable, and the coaster brake works a treat.  Fork is drilled for a V-brake, so I can put one on the front wheel.

Also bought rollerblades for $8.  Seven good wheels out of eight, and I only need one rail.  Fascinating design, actually -- the size is adjustable from 4-6, and the whole thing is pretty modular.  They make my $150 rollerblades from 1992 look downright primitive.  Disassembling them was just challenging enough to be amusing.

And I got a genuine old-fashioned milk crate, with the SMALL holes so it doesn't suck.  A Kodak film projector that appears to have never been used (I really just want the case and the optic, but the projector is pretty cool).  And two books for the shop.  Just under $30 altogether.  And I resisted buying many pieces of fascinating junk . . . .

Hisey

• Trusted
  • [Internally screaming]
« Reply #269 on: August 27, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
What is this "scooter project" you keep going on about?
With the parts you're buying, it almost sounds like a soapbox derby car.
Y'all