Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61111 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #270 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
Yeah, I'm building a scooter / push bike thing.  I don't know why, but I feel less paranoid about riding such a thing around here, maybe because of the lower center of gravity.

My car is getting to the point where I should save it for special occasions, and I live three miles from work, with few hills.  My bike is crap, plus I was already knocked off it by an SUV once (what, last year? something like that), and I have an electric assist motor that I may even be able to get to work.

Plus, I like projects.  The trick is finishing them.  Walking to work is a pain, so I have some extra motivation.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
Are you going to add an electric motor to it?  Rechargeable battery pack vest, and you'll start a new suicide bomber-esque fashion trend.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »
I have a 24v 450W motor and two 12v 8Ah batteries, a controller, a throttle, a charger.  No wiring diagrams, and I am distinctly not good at electrical stuff, which is why I never mounted the motor on my bike.

If the scooter winds up being lighter than a bike, the motor is probably overkill.  But if so I can run it half-voltage and double my range.  If I screw up the wiring, I may ruin the batteries, but que sera, que sera.  The price of batteries in that range has actually dropped quite a bit recently, so long as you want lead-acid and not lithium or such.

pdrake

« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
Are you going to add an electric motor to it?  Rechargeable battery pack vest, and you'll start a new suicide bomber-esque fashion trend.

next week -

Bizarre Confessions/General/Politics, Government & The Law/News you DID need:

Man killed while riding scooter with battery vest.

Police shot and killed a man riding a motorized scooter. They mistook the battery vest he was wearing for a bomb. The victim's name has not been released.

A/P
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »
:lol:

The batteries are heavy, and I want a low center of gravity, so I won't be wearing them.

I do own the parts for a battery-operated vest.  Er, the heated kind, I mean.  But it just doesn't get that cold here in recent years, so I've never installed them in anything.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »
Battery ankle weights = lower center of gravity.  Or maybe go with the load-wear that the young fellas seem to like to wear.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »
:huh:  I'll mostly be kick-pushing the thing, so I don't think I'll wear the batteries on my ankles. 

I think I'm going to build an enclosure over the rear wheel for the motor and batteries.  The motor has a cog on it that takes a chain larger than a bike chain -- I think it's a 25, but I don't have a size gauge, and I can't for the life of me get the thing off.  Appallingly, I don't own a chain whip.

This whole project would be a lot easier if I could weld, but it is what it is.  There's nothing like a good bodge.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »
Appallingly, I don't own a chain whip.

Oddly, I do. Stop by any time to pick it up.

(I have a cassette-based cogset on my mountain bike and this is the only way I can remove it)
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

pdrake

« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
you can't weld?

:shock:
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »
...and I can't for the life of me get the thing off.  Appallingly, I don't own a chain whip....

FSTOOCOTD

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #280 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
EXACTLY.

Well, I should say that I haven't welded since a small amount I did back in junior high.  I might be able to weld.  I wouldn't want to buy a rig and just give it a whirl -- between the money and the recipe for disaster, yeesh.

But I can cut the bike frame creatively, bend pieces, drill holes, and bolt.  I just ordered a disk cutter and an angle grinder from Harbor Freight yesterday.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »
ATTENTION RETAILERS:

When you say "Call for price!" or "See price in cart!" or "Price too low to print!" . . . I just go somewhere else to buy.  Don't treat me like a jerk if you want me to buy something from you.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
I want this AND it's on sale, but odds are either it wouldn't work with my ancient car . . . or my car would die shortly after I got it.

It is awesome, however.  I have to say, though, that the video ad for it on the page is INSANELY bad.  It's an ad for a sound effect device . . . and it has terrible obtrusive background music.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:45:47 PM by mo »
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2012, 08:19:20 AM »
Heh. They don't even give you a manufacturer's name, much less a model number or anything. They either don't want you comparing, or they don't want you to know who made it. Or at least that's how it appears to me - I know nothing about tablets.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.