Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61077 times)

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
Enclosure. External hard drive enclosure. And it's USB (just in case you need it; stands for Universal Serial Bus); USN is the group that sends ships out to patrol the oceans.
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
haha, thanks!

I don't proofread like I used to be able to. Words look fine that aren't; words that are right look wrong to me now. So much for my career in journalism. :thumbsdn:

At least I do remember what a USB is.  :lol:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

pdrake

« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2012, 05:19:28 PM »
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
There's a wide variety of drive things. 

- An adaptor (search "usb hard drive adaptor") just clips onto the drive and has a USB connector; some have a separate power cord.  The drive isn't protected, but adaptors like that can be had for under $10.

- An enclosure, yeah, is like the one pdrake linked to.  A wide range of prices are available, from $10 up.

- A dock is a box that sits on the desk looking kind of like a high-tech toaster with USB and power cables, and you plug the drive in like a Pop-Tart, turn the thing on, and bingo.  These can be had for about $20 and up.  The more expensive ones let you plug in multiple hard drives at once, side by side.

BUT the thing is that they're specific to drive type (SATA, IDE, etc), and the enclosures are specific to drive size (2.5" notebook-sized, 3.5" desktop-sized).  The docks will often work with either size, but they're more sensitive to bumping, spills, etc, than enclosures.

For $40-$50, you can get a whole USB external hard drive itself, probably in the 40-50 GB range, if you shop Newegg / TigerDirect / etc.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #334 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:29 AM »
I'd just like to be able to use the hard drive I already have from the previous Intel MacMini -- this Rosewell enclosure you linked to pdrake looks like it would fit that little tiny hard drive. And only 6.99? I don't have to worry about the little drive getting hot or anything?

I really hate being so mentally obtuse these days -- I appreciate everyone's patience with me.  :love:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #335 on: September 27, 2012, 06:57:08 AM »
I've never looked at one like pdrake linked. I'm not clear on exactly how that connects to the HD. I assume you open the box and the connections are inside. There are like 32 pages of reviews on the product, and a lot of them complain about the screws that hold the cover on not lining up with the holes, but other than that, most of the reviews are positive. Good question about the heat - seems like it's totally enclosed. :shrug:

I've only used ones like this, which is linked on that page. With this, the HD is totally exposed, for better or worse. It also has its own power cord, instead of running off your mini's power via USB. Not sure how big of an advantage that is, maybe an inconvenience, because you'd have to power this thing up seperately, whereas the other one would power up when you boot your mini.

It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #336 on: September 27, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »
also that's an IDE and I think the Mac Minis are SATA? not sure tho. either way, you can get enclosures for both. and yes, the drive connects internally and you snap the little enclosure case over it and plug it into the USB, very simple to do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #337 on: September 27, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »
Yeah, that's the difference between the adaptor and the enclosure.

Heat is mostly only a problem if the drive runs constantly, or if the enclosure has stuff piled on it, etc.  In my experience, anyway.  If the enclosure is just sitting on the desk, it should be fine.  Some of them buzz a bit when the drive's running, but if you just sit it on a folded piece of cloth, etc, it'll be quieter.  Just don't wrap it up entirely . . . .

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2012, 07:49:51 AM »
also that's an IDE and I think the Mac Minis are SATA? not sure tho. either way, you can get enclosures for both.

Good point, I didn't even notice that, but it appears the original minis were IDE, which is weird to me because I know the old G3/4's were SATA, and they predated minis. Anyway, TOA, you said the old one was Intel, which I think would be SATA. Here are the different models of minis, if you know which one you have, we could be more certain.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #339 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:37 AM »
Just don't wrap it up entirely . . . .

What not to crochet

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
:galm:  A hard drive cozy!
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
speaking of cozies, I need a bread box.  does anyone still make those?
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

pdrake

« Reply #342 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »
did you break your google?
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #343 on: September 27, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
no but I'm at work
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

pdrake

« Reply #344 on: September 27, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
i'm not sure of that correlation, but you can get all kinds of nifty bread boxes these days. a lot of people use bags, too.