Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61108 times)

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #420 on: May 13, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
That's cool!
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #421 on: May 20, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
http://www.moderncat.net/2007/11/28/for-all-you-urpin-hipster-cats/

I want this only to hide it away so nobody knows I have it.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #422 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »
 :lol:
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:14 AM »

It's a little classier than just leaving folded up paper towels all over the house to mark the barfbombs.
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #424 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »
I... need that.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #425 on: May 21, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
Have I said lately how much I love shopping on the internet? It means I don't have to go out in public and deal with screaming children and rude adults. I am not just physically exhausted by brick and mortar shopping, it exhausts me mentally.

I still patronize our small and/or local businesses -- we have a great local hardware store, local farmers with their own markets, etc. But being able to buy a set of dry erase markers, filters for my vaporizer and plastic magazine covers all in one order is awesome (granted, it's Amazon, and I am grappling with my feelings about some of their business practices, but I still consider them local).

I've also had some good success simply looking up the brand and style of favorite current clothing items and buying duplicates on eBay or elsewhere (mostly from other small businesses). Free shipping? Yes, please.

Really, anything that can minimize "bad" overexertion, so that I can concentrate on swimming and other physical therapies, is a good thing.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2013, 02:52:32 PM »
Whatever's good is good.  I somehow apparently got an Amazon Prime membership, if the emails I get from Amazon can be believed.  I'm not sure what's involved, but presumably it's reasonably sweet.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
Free shipping if you don't want it rushed, and another source for movies/shows.

I've been paying for it for years, and you get it free. I'll have to figure out what it is I'm doing wrong.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #428 on: May 23, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
I have no money for shopping and no home internet to watch movies.  That's probably why I have it for free.

pdrake

« Reply #429 on: May 23, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »
i buy my shitty dog her food from prime. it's $8/case with no tax and it's delivered in a day. (it is packaged in a two case pack, though.) at the local grocer it's $12+tax and i have to lug it around.

you should check on cat fud.

it's amazing the stuff you can find that you can have shipped free with prime. i was looking at lathes and a lot of them are covered. i bet shipping on 800lb items can be pretty pricey.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #430 on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:29 PM »

It's a little classier than just leaving folded up paper towels all over the house to mark the barfbombs.

Dammit! Which one of you set up the X10?
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #431 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
Sorry.   :uncertain:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #432 on: June 09, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »
I needed a toner cartridge for my ole reliable Brother laser. Was downtown so I went to Office Max. $72. Seemed high. :huh: Office Min, amirite? Eh no, insulting to Min. ANYWAY. Went back cross town, to Staples. $78. :angry: I told pimply uniformed dude, too much. Wrong. Got to be a mistake. He claimed they'd meet any price. Uh huh. Went home. Got on line. Staples, on line, $68. :nonplused: Amazon, on line, $48, free shipping. :whatever: Well I'm not going to print that out, drive back to staples, and argue with pimply guy, because, annoying. Ordered. Srsly, no reason to live. Customer service? Uuuuuuhhhh ... hmm. No.

Retail is dead.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #433 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
It's hard to imagine what the future retail system is going to look like, but I don't think the current system of strip malls can be supported much longer. There needs to be local showrooms, but not for something like a toner cartridge. I don't think grocery stores will go away, so maybe the answer lies there - some kind of expansion or merger between grocers and online retailers, and only stocking certain items locally, for freshness or physical/visual comparison.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #434 on: June 10, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
See, I think you know exactly what the future of retailers will be like.  :lol:

On-site rapid fabrication should also play a part, but does B&N have on-demand nearly-instant printers yet?  No, because they're idiots.  I hear that full paperback-printing machines are down to like $25k, and less-fancy-cover trade paperback machines are even cheaper.

Again, it's the textbook stores and universities that are especially stupid.  What does a professor-author make per textbook sold?  What does the university make?  On a farking $200 paperback that will be 'obsolete' next year?  But print them in the student union and let the professors and university split the cost of a $40 textbook instead.  Profs can update the text anytime they want.

I used to think the publication credit was the sticking point, but a lot of academic journals have a circulation = the people who submit articles to the journal.  No reason an official but POD textbook shouldn't be equally good for someone's career.