Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61110 times)

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #435 on: June 10, 2013, 10:39:15 AM »
My FIL gets something like $0.20 per copy, on the first sale only and has to split that with his co-authors. A lot of the academic publishing profit gets taken out due to needing to pay for permissions on copyrighted images, but the increase in cost compared to fiction costs seem out of whack to me. :shrug:

Some publishers are trying to do more print on demand. I haven't heard more than they're working on it, though.

Throw in 3D printing as a component, and things will be interesting soon. I wonder if power will be the limiting factor, or something else.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »
IP rights, is my guess.  Everyone and their cousin will try to tie up anything and everything in court.

Beyond that, raw materials.  What we need isn't 3D printing, by and large, but good automated disassembly.  Tantalum mining, for instance, is a freaking horror show, and all current advanced electronics need the stuff, but very little of it is recycled.  Meanwhile, the landfills are full of billions of cell phones and old computers.

Better manufacturing techniques (carbon circuitry, or aluminum maybe) should eventually limit this sort of problem, but not yet.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #437 on: June 10, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
Grocery stores are already becoming one stop shopping.  Safeway has a Starbucks inside, a bank inside, redbox kiosks, lottery kiosks, some have optometrists.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #438 on: June 10, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
A lot of Meijers have barbershops inside.  I do not know who uses those, but they seem to stay in business.

In MA, I used to occasionally shop at a giant Stop & Shop that not only had an Uno's Pizza inside but an electric shuttlebus that would take you from one side of the store to the other.

pdrake

« Reply #439 on: June 10, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #440 on: June 10, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
Fred Meyer (PNW only I think, but we had one in Chico) was like a ultra-mega-super-target or walmart.  It had a huge department store, a huge grocery store, a jewelry store, automotive supply store, I don't remember what else, but it was like an entire shopping mall under one roof and one name.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #441 on: June 10, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
:shock: :drool:

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Um. It looks like an airport trash can, to me. Maybe it's not a really good picture. :harumph:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

pdrake

« Reply #442 on: June 10, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
did you look beyond the picture? i'm more interested in the specs. the size is nice, but i'd like to have the processors. i don't mind the big, silver box (except when i have to lug it around).
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #443 on: June 10, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
:shock: :drool:

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Um. It looks like an airport trash can, to me. Maybe it's not a really good picture. :harumph:
They're stealing ideas from Cray Computing... But that's old news so go ahead and give them a patent on circular architecture.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #444 on: June 10, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »
:galm: The Cray was C-shaped!

Yeah, I'm being silly, pdrake. The specs are kind of freaking awesome. It's a goddamn graphics tyrranosaur.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #445 on: June 10, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »
The Cube didn't take off, so now they're trying the Tube.

I'm sure it's an awesome machine, the price will be awesome to match, and I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to afford one.

The design of that page is both wonky and a reminder Jobs is dead.

/bitter
/jelly
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #446 on: June 10, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
It does look like a trashcan.

pdrake

« Reply #447 on: June 10, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
the biggest thing that bothers me is the lack of expansion slots. if you want an upgraded graphics card or another type of pci card you'll need a separate enclosure. i'd like to replace the processors and buses in my big, silver box with the new stuff.

that kind of fits with the way they've been going.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #448 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »
Yeah, the G5 aluminum box was pretty cool. I've got one too, and really don't want to part with it.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #449 on: June 10, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »
The vast majority of users never stick anything in an expansion slot. However, the vast majority of users aren't going to buy this - it's the minority of users who need serious horsepower and ability to expand that are going to want this. I think it's a bad move. I think they would not have gone this route had Steve been alive (oh god that is so trite I wonder how many pundits are gonna say that this week).

Unless, of course, Thunderbolt is as fast as SATA or whatever? I actually don't know so assume these words are coming transanally.