Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61084 times)

pdrake

Re: Shopping!
« Reply #450 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
the jury is still out on thunderbolt.

my latest graphics card cost $800. i think people who buy this will want a graphics card that's capable of keeping up with the processors. this is probably more targeted to video/film professionals, people who are doing non-linear video editing. if it's not it should be. anyone who's not doing that kind of work, or major CAD/3D work doesn't need this kind of horse power. i'd love to have it for my CAD/3D work and probably wouldn't need any more graphics power than it comes with.

those type of people will want something like this:

http://www.red.com/store/products/red-rocket-x

i certainly wouldn't need one of those. not that i'd say no if work wanted to buy me one.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #451 on: June 10, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »
:drool:

"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

pdrake

« Reply #452 on: June 10, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
that renders 4K cineon frames in (almost) real time. that's a processor drawing a 30Mb file every 1/24 second while probably applying an effect to it. i'm sure the fans have to work hard to cool that off.

that's the kind of power you used to have a dedicated silicon graphics system like a flame or smoke or nuke to do. there's a reason they went under. cray's not doing so well either. not so bad to have to pay $10K now for the same machine that used to cost $90K-$130K.

for the apple and the end of SGI, it started with final cut pro and the integration of smoke into that. i wonder if they still make money off of that little merger.

the whole FX business has a long pedigree which has ended in a few names which i guess have encompassed all the good parts.

i remember the first high end video card i ever bought. it was $1400 and had 8? processors on it. i think i still have it somewhere. i also remember buying 132Mb of ram for $1100 to help run lightwave 5 or 4. i can't remember. i'm using lightwave 11 now.

i also remember using photoshop 2, but that's another tale.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #453 on: June 11, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #454 on: June 11, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »
The vast majority of users never stick anything in an expansion slot.

:demo:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #455 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
I wonder if they're cluster-ready. Put them on their sides and connect them with the space between the cylinders holding the wires. The trendy thing in server farms is to have hot and cold aisles and these would seem to be built for that. It'd change the calculations for processor density per square foot in amusing ways.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #456 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »
The vast majority of users never stick anything in an expansion slot.

:demo:

Yeah, now everyone just shoves penis drives into the USB vagina slot. Not at all suggestive.

I wonder if they're cluster-ready. Put them on their sides and connect them with the space between the cylinders holding the wires. The trendy thing in server farms is to have hot and cold aisles and these would seem to be built for that. It'd change the calculations for processor density per square foot in amusing ways.

IT guy I biked in with today was baffled at how it wasn't apparently rack mountable. And I bet you can't put it on its side, I bet there's heatflow issues that require it to be upright. Betcha.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #457 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
Also I need to bizarrely confess that I spent like an hour at apple.com yesterday shopping. Because of you people. You people.

Didn't buy anything though. Yet.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #458 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
I can't afford to buy anything ever again.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #459 on: June 11, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »
SO, not to sound stupid, but -- I bought a refurb machine from Newegg awhile back, and it came with a DVI-to-VGA adaptor.  Did not get around to setting the machine up because of a temporary lack of monitors.  In the meantime, brought the DVI adaptor to the other shop, where it was needed for another computer.

Time passes.  I bought a refurb monitor for the machine here, and, yeah, if you plug into the VGA port, it works for boot-up and then stops, telling you that you have to plug the monitor into the video card, not the built-in video adaptor.  Why?  Why would you make the machine so it STOPS if the monitor is plugged into the built-in adaptor?  You aren't even allowed to change this (disable the video card, say) in CMOS.

Fine.  I go to Best Buy and buy a DVI adaptor.  Their last one.  Dudes there tell me "EVERYONE needs those things", which is probably why they cost $20 at Best Buy.  Fuck.

Get back, and . . . wait, this isn't a DVI port.  :confused:  Look at the bag for the adaptor that came with the machine, and, yeah, it came with a DVI adaptor.

FINE.  Opened machine, pulled video card the fuck out, plugged monitor into built-in VGA adaptor, works great.

The video card has no comprehensible English written on it anywhere.  I looked at lists of video connector types, and turns out it's a DMS-59 port.  :shrug: 

Wikipedia says "Some confusion has been caused by the fact that vendors label cards with DMS-59 as 'supports DVI', but the cards have no DVI connectors built-in."  Seems to have confused Newegg, too.

pdrake

« Reply #460 on: June 11, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #461 on: June 11, 2013, 04:05:32 PM »
:lol:

Actually, because of the kinda-sorta ribbed bottom, it looks like an inflatable pool toy of some kind.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #462 on: June 11, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
Looks kind of like a Bazooka subwoofer too.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #463 on: June 12, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »
I looked at lists of video connector types, and turns out it's a DMS-59 port.  :shrug: 

Don't feel bad.  I work in IT for a living, and the first time I encountered a DMS-59 card I was in solid WTF mode for quite a while before I figured out what I was dealing with. 
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #464 on: June 18, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »
People are constantly trying to sell me things that I might want . . . if they weren't made stupidly for stupid people.  I know I'm easily annoyed, but seriously.

- Flashlights.  They should have a button or switch that turns them on and off.  That's generally about it.  Without reservation, I do not want an "innovative system" that uses one button to cycle through eight levels of brightness and an emergency strobe setting.  I want on, and I want off.  With almost any device or appliance, if I have to cycle through a bunch of crap to get what I want, then the manufacturer has failed.

Also, do not try to sell me any flashlight without telling me what kind of batteries it needs. 

- Containers, backpacks, etc.  Don't even try to sell me any such thing without telling me its dimensions.

- Jacks.  Everyone wants to sell me a 'rapid-pump' or 'racing' car jack that only takes three pumps to reach full height.  At about triple the cost of a regular jack.  Fuck you. 

Never have I used a car jack and thought "Damn!  If only it took just three pumps to reach full height!"  Often have I thought "Damn!  This jack doesn't work safely unless the car is on perfectly level and solid pavement!"  Or "Damn!  This jack has a small lifting saddle that is sinking into the partly corroded metal of my old car!"  Or "Damn!  This stupid jack doesn't lift the car high enough for me to put a jackstand underneath it!"

These are all problems that the jack industry has solved.  But do people sell good jacks much?  No, they sell racing jacks.  Which aren't good in an emergency anyway, since they're huge and you will leave them in your garage.  And the price of a cheap electric car lift is only a few times as much as a good racing jack and four good jackstands, so if you're going to work on your car so much that you really need to save on pumping up the jack, just buy a fucking lift and enjoy life.

- Computers.  Don't bother trying to sell me one by advertising that it comes with Windows 7 or Windows 8.