Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 61106 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #480 on: June 29, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
This video says it all with no words.

It looks like you'd have to be within one foot to kill a fly, and a flyswatter would make a lot less of a mess.

Disappointing. This needs to be perfected.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #481 on: June 29, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
It's . . . it's really a toy, not a serious tool for ridding your house of flies.

Strictly for sport hunting.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #482 on: June 29, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
When my friends and I used to sneak through fruit orchards back in the day our #1 enemy was a farmer with a .410 packed with rock salt. So I'm thinking this is not really for use on flies - it's for use on those damned meddling kids trying to steal your apricots.

We weren't stealing apricots

We were picking the bad ones up of the ground and using them as slingshot ammo

just doing our part to keep the VC out of San Jose

yep
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #483 on: July 02, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
This doesn't particularly affect me, but since I see boat seats in stores and get catalogs from three or four places that sell them (among other things), I just have to say:

When designing folding boat seats, why not put the hinge high enough so that the back of the seat is a flat surface when the seat is folded?  Every folding seat I see folds to about a 15-degree angle.  And every one of them has room to move the hinge up slightly so the thing would fold flat.

Right now, I'm attributing every design I've seen to fetal mercury exposure, so the industry is getting a pass, of sorts.  But for fuck's sake.  It's like designing a card table where the legs fold within an inch or two of being flat.  You're fired.  Because you deserve to be fired.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #484 on: July 10, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
Still no internet at home.  I went to the local used DVD place today.  For $30, I got:

- Blue Harvest 2-disk set (the Family Guy parody of Star Wars)

- New Legend of Shaolin and Dr Wai in the Scripture with No Words (two Jet Li movies)

- Voices (a Japanese horror film)

- Desert Warrior (a post-apocalyptic cheapie with Lou Ferrigno and Shari Shattuck)

- Hot Shots: Part Deaux

- The Invention of Lying (haven't seen it yet)

- a boxed 3-disk set of the Subspecies films (cult horror films)

- 6 disks of collected Simpsons episodes (about 50 episodes, I think)

- a pristine hardcover copy of The Spellbook of Listen Taylor, which I rarely see and often loan out

Wooooooo . . . .

I have high hopes and low expectations for the Ferrigno / Shattuck film.  :huh:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #485 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
My cat has pretty much decided that the only cat food she wants to eat is a particular type of Fancy Feast.  It's nutritionally better than a lot of canned food, so what the hell.  Naturally, I figured I might as well just buy it in bulk.

What's weird is that it's often on sale at Meijer for substantially less than I can find it for online.  Even CVS often has it on sale for 55 cents a can; Meijer often goes to 45 cents a can.  Online, the cheapest I could find was $15 for 24 cans -- plus $5-$6 shipping.

Welp.  All righty, then.  :shrug:

pdrake

« Reply #486 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:41 PM »
it's .66 on amazon prime with no tax. still seems higher than local.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2013, 12:53:48 PM »
Actually, now that I think of it, I went through this with dry cat food, too.  My cat LOVES the Castor & Pollux stuff, but Petco dropped it and supermarkets don't carry it.  It turned out to be way, way more expensive online.  Weird.

She eats the BG stuff now, which is probably just as good for her, but she doesn't gobblegobblegobble it nearly as fanatically.  Which may be for the best, in fact, but, you know.  I obsess over my cat's happiness.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
I wonder if it has something to do with the weight and shipping? I mean their shipping, not yours.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »
I mean their shipping, not yours.

:rollin:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #490 on: July 25, 2013, 06:03:39 AM »
Uh-oh. I wasn't trying to be funny  :P

I meant it's a heavy product, so maybe the online distributors embed the cost they pay for shipping to them in the product, where as grocery stores don't have such a specific shipping charge associated with the product - it's coming in on their own truck with a lot of other stuff. I don't know. I'm totally speculating.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #491 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »
Could be that, could be volume, could be specific language in contracts the manufacturer has with big store chains.  Beats me.  I could buy Progresso soup by the crate online cheaper than I could get it at Meijer, but I'm sure volume is the main issue there.  Fancy Feast is a popular brand, but it can't touch a major soup brand.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #492 on: July 27, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
Back to the used DVD store.  I traded in some stuff I wasn't going to ever watch again, and that plus $22 got me:

- Near Dark two-disk remastered collector's set

- Drag Me To Hell director's edition.  I still haven't seen this film.

- Final Destination

- Blades of Glory

- A Bugs Bunny DVD with 10 shorts.

- Complete Season One and Season Two sets of The Simpsons, plus the movie.

I'm now addicted to Simpsons commentary tracks.  It's slightly embarrassing.  But not too embarrassing to admit.

I saw little bits of the Final Destination series, and the main problems with it were that (A) the concept was done in a nice little New Zealand film called Sole Survivor years ago, and (B) I really hated the main characters and couldn't wait for them to die.  Literally, I wasn't willing to wait 90 minutes for them to die, so I didn't watch any of the films.  One of the films does have a stunning chain-reaction car accident in it, though.  On the other hand, so did that unwatchable LeBoeuf remake of Rear Window

But the commentary on The One made me interested in Final Destination after all.  I didn't realize it was by Glen Morgan and James Wong, who aren't perfect but are worth a shot.  Plus, I got the disk for free, because the shop has a buy-several-get-one-free deal.  So what the hell.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #493 on: July 28, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »
I liked Drag Me To Hell.  I'm gonna have to check out the director's cut.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #494 on: August 14, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
So WTF is up at Newegg?  Their product sorting no longer works right -- you can go a category or two in, and if you try to get more specific after that you wind up in a "Useful Links" subsection that isn't sorted.

PCs & Laptops > Desktop PCs gets you a giant mishmash of mostly PCs.

PCs & Laptops > Desktop PCs > Refurbished gets you a giant mishmash of all kinds of shit -- PCs (desktop and otherwise), card readers, keyboards, software, headphones . . . .

Fucking fuck off, man.  Do you want to sell me something or not?