Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 60286 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #540 on: May 19, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »
I seem to only be seeing them in the context of bikes (A) aimed at women and (B) made in China or Singapore.  I keep trying to think if it's somehow a feminine design.  Maybe it looks less butch?  Maybe it's easier to get on from the back in a skirt (?)?  Maybe there's an assumption you'll have a second rider standing on pegs on the rear axle, or something, and this makes it easier for a woman or child to stand back there?

I'm probably overthinking it.

I don't know, but I been told that bigger wheels on bicycles is 50% a holdover from velocipede days and 50% one of those influenced-by-pro-models things.  Racers want low rolling resistance.  The issue with velocipedes is that larger wheels smooth out bumps better.  A velocipede doesn't have pedals, so your weight is always on your crotch, or you're holding your legs up and your butt is in bony-mode.  Less comfortable over bumps, either way.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #541 on: May 28, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
I keep seeing ads for things that are described glowingly as "portable" when, uh, yeah, I know.

Examples, from today:  Headphones, wallet.

If you have a non-portable wallet, you might have a safe.  I'm just saying.  If "portable" is your first adjective when you try to sell me something like a wallet, I have to conclude you couldn't come up with something good to say about this wallet.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #542 on: May 28, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
OK, OK, in a Rakuten ad:

Keen Men's 'Santiago Corduroy' Slip-On Portable Sneaker

:huh:

Probably if you buy two, they're too heavy to be portable.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #543 on: May 29, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
Another day, another light I'm pretty sure I didn't order, from another peculiar return address.  Makes me wonder if I accidentally got a subscription to Weird East Asian Light of the Month Club.  Have to scrutinize the old credit card statement more carefully than usual . . . .

Nice lights, except no documentation with them.  They're made to take rechargeable batteries of some kind, but they came without batteries or chargers.  I think they'll also run on regular AAAs, three each.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #544 on: May 29, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »
Buji is just outside of Shenzhen, as it turns out. I'm sure you wanted to know that :eyeroll:

My inner map geek is more outer these days
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #545 on: May 29, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »
The hilarious thing about this is the fact that in the future, once I finally perfect the ability to communicate with the past, it's actually me that is fucking with Axe this whole time.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #546 on: May 29, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »
I thought it was Cookieface
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #547 on: May 30, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
It's someone, anyway.

Obtopic:  Shoes.  Omigod.  Shoes.

Contrary to common wisdom, which I think is generally sound on this point, I have not found that more expensive shoes tend to be better.  On the other hand, because I often buy shoes on closeout, etc, I often don't pay the intended price, so . . . maybe I frequently end up with expensive shoes at cheap prices?  I don't know.

But there's one pair that I have to single out for excellence.  Around 1998, I bought a pair of run-of-the-mill running-shoe sneakers made by Pony.  I don't believe I've bought any other Pony shoes.  I got these for $12, if memory serves, from a closeout catalog.

I still have them.  And I've worn them a huge, huge number of times, and walked and hiked ridiculous distances in them.  Worn them in the snow and mud, too.  And they're terrific.  At this point, they're about 50% Goop adhesives, because the component parts of the shoes have tended to detach from one another.  The outsoles are starting to get fairly smooth, but they still have good traction. 

One outsole has a small split at the front of the shank reinforcement.  Otherwise, no part of either shoe has given out.  They have the best insoles of any shoes I've ever owned.  And they're just incredibly comfortable.  I don't think they've ever given me a single blister, so even though I keep expecting them to fall apart, they're my preferred shoes on my six-mile commute if it's dry out.

Writing this will probably jinx them, and they'll probably fall apart now.  But it needed to be said.

The weirdest thing about them . . . is that they still have their original laces.  Which show no signs of wear.  They're 'compression' laces, a sewn sleeve over a squishy core, so they never come untied on their own, either.  But they almost look new, for crying out loud.  They're still white.  All four aglets still on there.

They're like shoelaces from Star Trek, or something.  It's just damned strange.

Anyway, there are so few things that I'm satisfied with that it seems only fair to mention these shoes.  They're so old, I think Pony has changed owners a couple of times since I bought these, and I have no way of knowing if current Pony shoes are this good.  But these sneakers are amazing.

I almost didn't buy them, because they're white.  Although now they're sort of gray.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #548 on: May 30, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
 :lol:

I can relate to too much of that. I'm getting miserly. Or more so. I just bought a tube of adhesive like you put in a caulk gun, but I haven't tried it yet. I may have to look into Goop adhesives, because my confidence is not high for the stuff I bought.

None of my shoes are really made for hiking in slippery conditions, other than my military(ish) boots, which I am not going to wear with shorts. Bill Murray made it look good, but I don't think I could pull it off. Anyway, I had this one pair of shoes in the back of the closet that I never wore. They were like a fuzzy leather finish, not suede, whatever that's called, and they were ankle high, which is kind of nice for support, and they had deep tread, which is what's needed for not slipping in wet grass or pine needles. They are nice shoes. I don't know why I never wore them. Made by Brooks, FWIW :shrug:

And so I pulled these old shoes out and started wearing them, and after a while, I had the same problem as you - they were so old, the glue that holds the soles to the shoes came loose. I used some all purpose type glue I had on hand, and that worked for a while, but they came loose again. I suspect moisture was the culprit. Possibly extreme moisture. Like underwater occasionally.

I also have another pair of New Balance that have super shoelaces. They're way too long for the shoes for some reason, but I refuse to cut them because they're so awesome. And maybe I don't have anything strong enough to cut them with   :P

It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #549 on: May 31, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »
Goop products, including Shoe Goo:

- Basically, they're all the same.  If there's any actual difference between Shoe Goo, Plumbing Goop, Household Goop, etc, I can't tell what it is.

- It's really too thick.  Kind of a pain to use, as a result.  You want a pointier nozzle so you can extrude a small bead.  And it's so sticky that you can't spread it easily with a credit card or something, and it'll stick to everything it touches.  It won't stick much to something that has turpentine or a similar solvent on it, though, and -- my most successful trick with it -- it doesn't stick to itself as well as it sticks to other things.

I used to wear gloves when I used it, but now I usually use the corner of a baggie with my finger inside to spread the Goop where I want it.  When it gets a little to the side of the seam you're trying to glue, spread it very thin, and it'll be less noticeable.

The Goop people have said in the past that it's possible to thin Goop enough, with turpentine or a similar solvent, so that it's easier to work with.  Allegedly you can make it so thin it can be applied with a little paintbrush.  The amount of solvent needed means lots of fumes, though.  I've never gotten it that thin.

- The Goop will cure in the tube, eventually.  If you have four things you want to Goop, might as well line them up and Goop them at the same time.

- Pre-cleaning the surfaces is worthwhile.  Q-Tip and alcohol is what I usually do.

The pros . . . Goop will stick most materials together.  It's extremely strong but also flexible, and nearly indestructible.  With sneakers, usually the material on either side will break down long before the Goop does.  It's extremely water-resistant, handles UV OK, and so on.

It will bridge gaps.  But it's like caulk -- the thicker the chunk of dried Goop, the less flexible it is, and the more it tends to defeat the material it's stuck to.

It can sort of be painted once it's dry.  I've used it on black leather boots and then colored it in with a Sharpie, with reasonable results.  It's hard to reshape when it's dry, but if you sand it gently (an emery board works OK), it'll gradually change shape.

If you do get it on your hands, rub your fingers together before it dries to warm it up and make it ball up and fall off.  If you try a rag or paper towel . . . you'll tend to get a rag or paper towel glued to your hands.

It's a great adhesive in a lot of ways, but it can definitely be a pain to work with.  And the metal tubes sometimes split.  If you put the tube in a ziploc bag and squeeze all the air out, it'll save a lot of the Goop, though.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #550 on: May 31, 2014, 09:18:29 AM »
I'm gonna give the stuff I bought a chance first. Apparently it's a lot cheaper - only like $2.50 for caulk-size tube thingee. After it fails, I'll try the Goop.

The Goop will cure in the tube, eventually.

So will caulk. I just threw out a bunch a couple weeks ago because it was totally solid inside the tube. I had like 5 or 6 tubes. I don't use caulk that often - it was all given to me. Now that I think about it, it had to be at least 7 years old.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #551 on: May 31, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
Relevant.   :hmm:
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #552 on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
TOTALLY relevant.  It's a widespread thing.

It does take some practice to Goop without making a goopy mess, no question.  And, yes, I've thought of trying to craft entire shoe-part replacements from Goop.  :lol:

Shoe polish does not color Goop well.  But, then, modern shoe polish actually doesn't contain that much pigment.  It looks like it does, but putting black shoe polish on brown shoes in the 1950s would turn them into black shoes.  Now, it generally barely makes any color difference, once you buff them.

They sell insane shoe dye, though, which . . . can also make a horrendous mess . . . but which is like a Sharpie the size of a roll-on deodorant.  It has many uses.  Not necessarily great uses. but what am I, the Pope?

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #553 on: May 31, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #554 on: June 04, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
My brother got me shopping some at Bang Good, which, I'm sure, is why I now sometimes get unexpected odd electronics from mysterious places in eastern Asia.  And they are crazy and often cheap at Bang Good, I must admit.

But also often mysterious.  They sent me an email about a promotion that . . . I do not understand.  Its tagline is "You Come THEN We Go".

:knotty: