Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 62658 times)

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #600 on: September 04, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
4. Aviod the spare parts lost.
Now! they tell me.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

pdrake

« Reply #601 on: September 04, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
and home brewers . . .
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #602 on: September 09, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
There's something that I need to buy that I was going to go on Amazon after lunch to look for.  Now I finally have a chance, and I have NO idea WTF I was going to buy.

:rolleyes:

I'll remember at like 10 PM tonight, I'm sure.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #603 on: September 14, 2014, 01:12:21 PM »
Two of the Meijers near me (out of four in plausible driving distance) are undergoing a remodeling that's apparently going to be chain-wide.  The remodel has been going on for over a year and never seems any closer to being done, which is annoying, but . . . it's also just flatly terrible.

Seriously, they've changed the arrangement of aisles in ways that you can immediately see that no one likes.  They've gone from long simple aisles to new combinations of long aisles and short fat aisles, with the short fat aisles sometimes arranged at right angles to the long ones.  The many junctions of these aisles are now full of people trying to turn their shopping carts around. 

Before, if you weren't sure where something was, you'd either just go past the ends of the aisles, looking at the overhead signs, or go up and down each aisle in turn.  Now the overhead signs are gone, replaced by lower signs mounted on the aisles, and since the aisles no longer allow you to take a serpentine path through or to see everything by just going down the side . . . the whole grocery section is choked with people who are lost and irritated.

Meanwhile, the center section that has the clothing has been built into a huge visual blockade.  You can't see past it or around it.  And it no longer has an open plan, either, but is divided up into segregated little sections.

Worst of all, they've hugely reduced the sizes of several sections I actually used a lot, like hardware, and the pharmacy stuff, and the pet section.  Mostly this is because of the new aisle arrangements, but partly it's because they've added stupid shit like a two-aisle Yankee Candle section.

I've been trying to put up with this, partly because the big Kroger near me did its own reorg a few years ago and became a waste of time.  But I was at Meijer the other day for over forty-five minutes and left with just cat food, because fuck it.

So now I'll have to go to the small ghetto Kroger for groceries, and to Ace for hardware stuff, and I guess to Target for housewares.  (The Target closest to me is the worst Target store I've ever seen, but there are better ones about 25 minutes from me.)  I'm done with Meijer.  I don't know WTF the thinking was behind this particular remodel, but it's utterly hopeless and awful.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #604 on: September 14, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
So now I'll have to go to the small ghetto Kroger for groceries

Have you got a large ghetto Kroger too? We've got a Murder Kroger, but I don't think we have an official ghetto Kroger. Definitely an unofficial one or two.

the big Kroger near me did its own reorg a few years ago

I think maybe all the Krogers did the reorg a few years ago. I quit shopping there shortly after due to prices. I will occasionally drop in there to buy an odd thing or two, and I'm still screwed up by the reorg. So yeah, I feel your pain with the Meijer thing. Moving all that stuff around probably made sense to someone, but that someone probably doesn't even shop there.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #605 on: September 14, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »
I'm sure the Meijer remodel is one of those things where someone in an upper management position felt a need to do something to justify their job, so they did something.  It's a purely stupid something, but, you know, it demonstrates activity.  Big decisions!  Executiveness!

A buttton of money was no doubt spent researching and planning it.  But once that's done, you can't just say "Nope -- it's fine the way it is."  Because that would mean you wasted that money.  (And that's part of why business is not really a friend of science, by the way.)

The ghetto Kroger near me is 1/4th the size of the regular Kroger and far, far less fancy, not to mention infinitely less schmancy.  It didn't do the remodel thing.  Alas, it's more expensive and has a lot less stuff.  Always a compromise. 

It's in an outdoor mall that was actually super-cool way the hell back when.  It used to have covered parking and a covered arcade with miniature parks, a movie theater, etc.  Over the decades, the mall has been 'rethought' into a revolting expanse of useless pavement.  Sometimes it has some decent stores, and often . . . not so much.  It's at a fairly high point right now, though. 

And the ghetto Kroger there used to be filthy and underlit, but over the last couple of years they've made a big effort to make it less depressing.  It's just not a one-stop anything, and because it's stuck in the badly organized outdoor mall, it's not convenient, either.

But still miles better than the new Meijer.  And I don't know of any actual murders occurring there.  It just used to look like there were probably murders occurring there.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #606 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
My bed is pretty sad.  For various reasons.  But the main thing, sort of, is that the mattress on it is a cheap mattress that's literally old enough to vote.  I don't expect to be comfortable, but I've been considering that I should replace it.  On the other hand, what I usually do is wait until I'm going to move, then get rid of the old mattress and buy a new one after I move.  So much easier.  But I didn't, last time I moved, and the time before that was 2001, I think, and that's when I got my current hand-me-down mattress.

Right now, I'm seriously considering just buying one of these.

:hmm:

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
« Reply #607 on: October 22, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
Yeah, I dunno; that seems a lot like it'd have beanbag dynamics and provide bad support. There's a lot of options in the foam mattress market, though, and plenty under $500.
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #608 on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »
Support, schmupport.  I barely sleep, and I'm uncomfortable anyway.  At this point, I'm after novelty and utility.  This thing looks light and like it's also a couch.  Sounds OK to me.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #609 on: October 22, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
I dunno. It's not all hype. If you've ever slept on a really good bed, you know what I mean - you feel noticeably better the next day. Unfortunately, I don't have one that good either. My folks had one like that, and when I'd stay down there, I'd sleep forever. I paid a pretty good bit for the one I got, but I got the wrong one for me. And like yours, mine is getting pretty old.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #610 on: October 22, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »
There's a lot of options in the foam mattress market, though, and plenty under $500.

You have foam?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #611 on: October 22, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
Bah!  I am a cranky Yankee.  I'm not trying to feel better.  :harumph:

More sleep would be good, but there are limits to the amount of money I would pay for such a thing.  $500 is probably over that limit.  :P

This is exactly the sort of thing, though, that would be different if I weren't single.  And I admit that.

phyre

• Trusted
« Reply #612 on: October 23, 2014, 06:08:09 AM »
There's a lot of options in the foam mattress market, though, and plenty under $500.

You have foam?

I don't, no. My wife and I bought a pillow-top inner spring mattress about 5 years ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not pushing the Sleep Number bed. However, nowadays, I'm coming around to the foam mattress argument, especially since the costs are so reasonable. Casper, for instance, has an interesting combination of foam and latex materials, and their cost for a queen size is less than TLM and I spent on our current mattress (though over $500, sorry Raxe).
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #613 on: October 23, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
I can't remember what I paid for mine, it's been so long ago, but I do remember hesitation when opening my wallet to pay for it, and my gf at the time egging me on to buy it.

$850 is a lot to fork over, even considering it's going to be stretched over many years. How many years is a question in my mind, when it comes to those synthetics, but I would expect it to last at least 10 years, so that would be what, less than 25 cents per night? If you add in naps, it's even cheaper!  :lol:

Good salesmanship at that site. Any reason why you like that one in particular?

phyre

• Trusted
« Reply #614 on: October 23, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
I read an article about it a few months back and was pretty impressed; don't know if I can find it again, maybe I can post it here. The article dealt a lot with the business aspect, how they're attempting to build a mattress that fits 99% of the populace without killing their budget, and something about their shipping methods.... Anyways, it's not the only game in town, but the combination of the latex and foam is apparently a novel approach which achieves better comfort across a larger slice of people.

Edit: Ah, here we go. It was on The Verge back in April.

Edit 2: And the article mentions the other company I was thinking of, which you might actually consider, Raxe- Tuft & Needle sells foam mattresses, and their most expensive model is $600 (that's the California King, doubt you need one that big). I think they're pretty competitive with el beanbag up there.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:52:18 AM by phyre »