Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 62657 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #615 on: October 23, 2014, 09:20:04 AM »
But it wouldn't be a beanbag sofa as well.

:nuts:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #616 on: October 23, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »
Edit: Ah, here we go. It was on The Verge back in April.

Oh yeah, I think I read the same story, maybe not on The Verge, but somewhere.

Edit 2: And the article mentions the other company I was thinking of, which you might actually consider, Raxe- Tuft & Needle sells foam mattresses, and their most expensive model is $600 (that's the California King, doubt you need one that big). I think they're pretty competitive with el beanbag up there.

Yeah, that's more like it. If I had the money, I might try that one. They sell a 5" thick version? I can't imagine that could be good.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

phyre

• Trusted
  • Brought to you by: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitation
« Reply #617 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
I dunno, man. How much sinking do you actually do into your existing mattress? Do you need a lot more support than that?

In fairness, the 10 inches is only $100 more for each size, so that's no dealbreaker, I think.
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
You should have told her about the incontinent stair ghost. Hedaira
If you jerk off into the abyss, it jerks off on you, too. - Raxe
Cats and fish could have kittens if they adopted. - mybabysmomma
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #618 on: October 23, 2014, 11:25:05 AM »
I wouldn't know how to go about measuring that, but I would think when rolling over, or when first laying down, we sink pretty deep, and I don't know how much different foam is from a conventional, I'm just surprised that 5" of foam would work.

And yeah, for $100 difference, I wouldn't even consider the 5".

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #619 on: October 23, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
There are several kinds of foam, which behave differently -- elasticity, softness, insulation, etc -- and layering different kinds of foam produces different effects.

There was an AMA or something about mattresses on Reddit in the last week or two, if you're really interested.  That's actually where I got the link to the foam supplier that led me to the giant foam beanbag couchbed thing.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #620 on: October 23, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
Nah, I'm interested in it like I'm interested in a Lamborghini. Just in case  ;)

phyre

• Trusted
« Reply #621 on: October 23, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
My interest is closer to my interest in my next washing machine. I know I'm going to need one, not sure when, but I want to keep up with the current state of things just in case.
So . . . you're saying I should be looking for a soft old plastic bucket. Man, dating sucks. Raxe
However, I do not recommend getting cancer as a strategy in curbing the bitching. - the other andrea
Space is totally weird, man.  If it's not blowing your mind, it's because you stopped thinking about it. - Raxe

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #622 on: October 23, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
 :lol: Yeah, seriously, a Lamborghini is not in the cards for me even if I won the lottery. It's just the first luxurious thing to pop in my head. I have no use for it.

I have to use vise grips to turn the timer knob on my washing machine, because the knob broke off several years ago, and I have to unplug it when turning the knob, and a little plastic ratchet piece inside the tank broke and keeps it from agitating correctly, so yeah, I could use a new washing machine probably more than even a mattress.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #623 on: October 23, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
Any knob that's a vaguely close fit + putty-style epoxy = new knob.  A larger knob makes it easier to turn, of course.

I realize you're not hoping to keep this machine for much longer, but this is still easier than pliers.

pdrake

« Reply #624 on: October 23, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
sugru
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #625 on: October 23, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
Any knob that's a vaguely close fit + putty-style epoxy = new knob.  A larger knob makes it easier to turn, of course.

I realize you're not hoping to keep this machine for much longer, but this is still easier than pliers.

It's a little more complicated than that. The knob is a push/pull to start, and turn to timer / different types of wash. Part of the knob is missing, and the stem that the knob attaches to is part of the timer itself. The push/pull doesn't work without the knob, not even with the vise grips, so that's why I have to unplug - I just leave it to "on" all the time.

I haven't looked at it closely in a while, but I'm sure I would have rigged it up if I could have. If I screwed up with the epoxy, I could end up bricking the thing.

:hmm: I may study it a bit further.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #626 on: October 23, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
The push/pull is fubar.

However, I was able to come up with a piece of scrap metal square tubing that fits perfectly over what's left of the knob, so I won't have to use the vise grips anymore.

Thanks for getting me started on that, Axe  :thumbsup:

phyre

• Trusted
« Reply #627 on: October 24, 2014, 06:29:20 AM »
:lol: Yeah, seriously, a Lamborghini is not in the cards for me even if I won the lottery. It's just the first luxurious thing to pop in my head. I have no use for it.

I have to use vise grips to turn the timer knob on my washing machine, because the knob broke off several years ago, and I have to unplug it when turning the knob, and a little plastic ratchet piece inside the tank broke and keeps it from agitating correctly, so yeah, I could use a new washing machine probably more than even a mattress.

Parts for these things are surprisingly easy to come by (depending on model and age, naturally), if you're handy and want to take a shot at repairing it. My dryer was making loud squealing noises, and I was able to get the bushings for the front (and a new bracket to hold them) for about $50. The dryer is a little easier to work on, since if you get it wrong you don't have water all over your floor, but I'd imagine the knob and/or the whole knob switching assembly is available online, so that'd be something at least.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #628 on: October 24, 2014, 07:46:46 AM »
I've also got a local place that has a boatload of old washers and dryers for sale, less than a mile from here, that I've never even visited. They might have parts too. And I've never checked online to see how much the parts would be. It's the whole timer assembly along with the knob that would have to be replaced.

I don't know why I just put up with it for so long, but it's not like it's a major inconvenience, more of an annoyance. I think part of it was fear that if I put money into it, it would totally break down beyond repair. I'm not sure what that law of physics is called, but I know for a fact it exists  :P

phyre

• Trusted
« Reply #629 on: October 24, 2014, 08:09:30 AM »
Sounds like entropy... maybe with a little Murphy thrown in. Entromurphy?