Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 62660 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #705 on: September 06, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »
I figure we're like three years from the Human Roll-Up cannibal movie.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #706 on: September 26, 2016, 02:28:49 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Snails-LLC-1-2-Assassins/dp/B01HGW5M34/
Killer Snails: Assassins of the Sea.

It's a game. I guess.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #707 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #709 on: September 27, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »
It's a floor wax.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #710 on: September 27, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »
And a dessert topping
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #711 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
Humidifier / fragrance disperser phone accessory.  Didn't really expect that.

Fall Winter Mengshufen Flannel Animal Cartoon Hips With Zipper Jumpsuits Pajamas Sleepwear!  [NB:  You may get lingerie ads in the sidebar.]

It unzips just under the tail to open like a union suit, so you can use the bathroom without having to pause whatever the heck you're doing in that costume.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:35:31 AM by random axe »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #712 on: March 07, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »
Any of you folks tried a SodaStream machine?  I drink kind of a lot of soda water, with and without a little flavoring added.

Near as I can tell, after you drop $80 for the machine, it costs about 60 cents per liter to carbonate plain water.  And you have to use their bottles, at least for the carbonating part of the process, which seem to be like $12 each.

I can already buy carbonated water at Meijer for like 50 cents per liter.  Making soda water at home isn't really more convenient if you run the risk of running out of CO2 bottles, etc.  And you can add flavors to store-bought seltzer just as easily.

Am I missing something?  I am confused.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #713 on: March 08, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »
Am I missing something?  I am confused.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:23:00 PM by Dr. Leonard HmofCoy »
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #714 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
But it seems to be the same thing as regular Zip, except it costs more.  :confused:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #715 on: March 08, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
But it seems to be the same thing as regular Zip, except it costs more.  :confused:

I don't think you're confused at all. It is documented that Americans default to believing that something that costs more is better. The Volvo story is illuminating. In the '60s they hired a consulting firm to figure out why their really excellent and inexpensive cars weren't selling well in the US. The firm came back with "charge more for them." And round about 1970 they effectively doubled the price of the same car, and, ta daaa, they've been selling them ever since.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #716 on: March 08, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
SodaStream seems fine as a concept.  I realize that in theory they make all their money on the bottles, cartridges, and syrups.  But the machines don't add the syrups for you, or anything -- at least, not the machines I've seen at Amazon -- and any kind of flavoring will work.  The bottles are expensive and, you know, just bottles.

I'm not feeling sold on it.  :shrug:

I miss the older Volvos, to be honest.  Some of the recent models are really nifty, but in general they either seem like overpriced not-what-I'd-want or heavily upscale Subarus.  To be fair, I think I just miss car cars.  I like feeling like I'm driving around in a metal cage on springs, with a direct connection to the engine.  I'd rather have a hellacious heater than a lot of deadening insulation. 

A lot of modern improvements really are improvements, especially in safety and efficiency, but I don't want the car to feel like it was made by La-Z-Boy during an ill-conceived flirtation with a 1965 Lincoln.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #717 on: March 08, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »
...The bottles are expensive and, you know, just bottles...

See HP printer model.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #718 on: March 10, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »
YES BUT.  Honestly, I don't think I've ever had much of a problem with an HP printer, whereas other printers can go fail-to-feed themselves.

Our MTBT (Mean Time Before Trash) for non-HP printers around here is typically two years, Epsons and Brothers, mostly.  We have an HP inkjet that's from about 1994 that still works perfectly every time.  Epsons used to be cool until about the point where dot matrix faded from the scene.

pdrake

« Reply #719 on: March 10, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
we own dozens of HP printers and we have lots of problems. they get pricey real fast, especially with the larger ones.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.