Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 60311 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #735 on: September 18, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
I remember that one.  Ms. Gertz was really good in that one.  She should have been a much bigger star.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

pdrake

« Reply #736 on: September 19, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »
primus did it better.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #737 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
She should have been a much bigger star.

Pretty much everyone from Square Pegs deserved better.  She was also good in an almost-written-out kind of role in Crossroads.  She was in a lot of very strange films -- not cult-movie kinds of strange, but just weird things that fly under the radar and sound kind of made-up.  A lot of them have good casts, and you can see why an agent would sign you up for them. 

I mean, I had to look this one up because I couldn't remember it correctly.  And apparently there was one made in Germany where George Peppard played her dad and she helps a bald Martha Plimpton commit suicide.  :shrug:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #738 on: September 19, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #741 on: September 28, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
I don't understand why my food synthesizer will need one, but fair enough.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #742 on: September 28, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »
The fact that people back this type of kickstarter thing puzzles me. Basically, people are paying $25 for a nice measuring cup. I guess if they change the world by improving the measuring cup, it's worth it for the rest of us  :P

They go through a lot of trouble explaining something that is readily apparent to me.

creator Joshua Redstone was working on a recipe that called for 1/4 cup of milk. He had a choice between a smaller or larger measuring cup and asked himself Which one would measure more accurately?

He received his PhD in Computer Science at University of Washington before working at Google and Facebook as a software engineer.

;) Uh-huh.

If they really wanted precision, the markings should be in the molding, not just the printing, which can/will vary.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #743 on: September 28, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »
She should have been a much bigger star.

Pretty much everyone from Square Pegs deserved better.  She was also good in an almost-written-out kind of role in Crossroads.  She was in a lot of very strange films -- not cult-movie kinds of strange, but just weird things that fly under the radar and sound kind of made-up.  A lot of them have good casts, and you can see why an agent would sign you up for them. 

I mean, I had to look this one up because I couldn't remember it correctly.  And apparently there was one made in Germany where George Peppard played her dad and she helps a bald Martha Plimpton commit suicide.  :shrug:

Oh the 'bone would like that one. Honestly though Jami Gertz will live FOREVER in the hearts and gonads of cinema lovers because of Twister and Lost Boys.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #744 on: September 29, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1075898346/euclid-a-more-accurate-measuring-cup?ref=recommended

:hmm:

Doesn't everyone already use laser etched graduated cylinders?

My wife has one with an elliptical thingy in it which makes it easy to gauge when looking downward.  Kinda like
this one
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #745 on: September 29, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »
I got nothin' against any kind of kitchen gadget that people really like -- unless it's some combination of really stupid, expensive, or bad for the environment (etc).

But, personally, I am not a precise cook in the first place.  I slap some gunk together.  A splash of milk more or less isn't gonna make a difference.  And because of my messed-up taste buds, I'm not cooking anything that needs, say, an eighth of a cup of cardamom, or something.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #746 on: September 29, 2017, 03:03:50 PM »
My last measuring cup came from the dollar store, but I have to admit I have pondered something like what the kickstarter guy came up with. Nothing as elaborate, just a smaller 4 oz. cup with a more narrow diameter.

I used to be lax in measuring, but the more I cooked, the more obvious it became to me how important it is to follow (the same) printed recipe each time. I still vary the measurements occasionally as tests to search for improvements. I've got a simple recipe for oatmeal cookies for example, that over time, I've figured out what effect a measurement variation in each ingredient will do. And it's way more than taste that varies, especially with something like those cookies. The texture can be wildly altered by a slight variation.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #747 on: September 30, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »
If you make bigger batches and mix thoroughly, it evens out a lot of small variations.  Just make two to three thousand cookies at a time.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #748 on: October 02, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
LED eyelashes

Regular and Sound-Activated

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #749 on: October 02, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
Honestly, I can't quite imagine having one of these

Stickers to make it look like a giant cat / kitten / dog is bursting through the side of your refrigerator or toilet tank, etc.