Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 58271 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #750 on: October 02, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
LED eyelashes

Regular and Sound-Activated

I think those are kinda cool.  :detta:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #751 on: October 02, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
Honestly, I can't quite imagine having one of these

Stickers to make it look like a giant cat / kitten / dog is bursting through the side of your refrigerator or toilet tank, etc.

Those would be great for t-shirts /alien
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #752 on: July 31, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
My semi-beloved but certainly trusty Braun electric shaver finally died enough so I decided to replace it.  Thing cost me like $100 and only lasted . . . OK, I guess it lasted like fifteen years.  Pretty good.  Also, easily the best rechargeable device I ever owned or used, in terms of its rechargeability, until I bought expensive DeWalt power tools.  Charged extremely fast; held a serious charge for a very long time.  Even after all this time.

SO I went ahead and bought a new Braun shaver.  Last year or so, I bought a never-heard-of-them Chinese shaver from Banggood, and it was amusingly silent in use but, uh, terrible at shaving my face.  (Whereas the Chinese Baby Shaver we bought to give the elderly Maine Coon haircuts is magical.)

The new Braun was much cheaper.  I actually got it for $40.  It's a lot quieter than my old one, which is nice.  It's also wet/dry.  I've only used it dry so far.  It doesn't shave as well.  I'd say it's about average -- it's comfortable to use, and it cuts well, but like most electric shavers I've used it gives you the look of having shaved.  You'll have Five O'Clock Shadow by two o'clock, though. 

This isn't really a problem for me -- it does a pretty good job quite quickly, and then thirty seconds or less touching up with a dry Gillette Fusion safety razor finishes the job, no fuss.  It's entirely possible that the new Braun does a really good job with a bit of shaving cream or something, too.  I'll find out eventually, but I'm out of Barbasol at the moment.  And the new Braun, like the old one but unlike many electric shavers, doesn't tend to yank mercilessly at errant hairs, which is much appreciated.

The new Braun doesn't have a pop-up trimmer.  On the other hand, the trimmer on the old one was its most disappointing feature, by far.  The new one, instead, has an easy pop-off head and a secondary clipper head.  That works WAY better than the trimmer on the old one, although it's slightly less convenient. 

The clipper head comes with a few combs so you can use it to trim your beard to length.  That works pretty well, not as well as some beard trimmers I've had.  The main problem, I think, is that they make the combs to try to work with even horribly tangled beards, and consequently the teeth are much too far apart, etc, and so the combs don't make hair stand up to be cut.  I had an old trimmer that I greatly improved by putting a single wrap of fishing line around the comb near the cutting head, to catch hairs and make them stand up.  Kind of broke-ass, though.

Also, the new Braun could've come with at least one slightly longer comb.  I think the longest one is 7 mm, which is pretty short.  Presumably they tested longer combs and didn't get good results.

The Verdict:  So far, excellent value.  Good convenience.  Good rechargeability.  Works well enough.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #753 on: August 02, 2018, 02:36:19 PM »
I was using electric for quite a while, but I've gone to just using cheap disposables now. Electric took too long and did a spotty job, but my shaver was pretty old. I'd be curious to hear if yours works better wet.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #754 on: August 02, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »
I've pondered before why credit card companies seem so complacent about picking the cost of fraud, so I found the story interesting. Kroger is taking a stand against the fees Visa charges them, by refusing to accept Visa cards at some of their locations, possibly all of their locations eventually.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/08/01/kroger-ban-visa-credit-card/881228002/

Coincidentally, when my CC info was stolen, Kroger was the first place it was used.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #755 on: August 03, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »
Financial institutions love certain kinds of losses because they can deduct them from profits in some way that's disproportionately beneficial in a bookkeeping way.  I've read about it half a dozen times, but the details never stick.  Probably I don't want them to.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #756 on: August 04, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
In this case, it sounds like the credit card companies are just passing on their fraud losses to retailers in the form of 'fees'. Retailers have little choice but to pay. Consumers can't see the charges, so they don't know where to direct their anger when prices go up. Similar to healthcare - it's hard to tell who exactly is fucking you the worst.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #757 on: August 04, 2018, 09:14:07 AM »
The scary thing about this is seeing the possibility of a future where retailers demand debit cards or cash/checks, which puts the liability back on the consumer.

pdrake

« Reply #758 on: August 04, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
I know quite well who to be angry at regarding healthcare costs.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #759 on: August 04, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »
According to the Federal Reserve, the median credit card interest rate (compounded!) is around 20%.

They may be using fraud as an excuse to charge retailers more, but they're charging everyone they can  whatever they can, using any excuse.

Realistically, we shouldn't allow (by law) such high interest rates on unsecured loans, and probably even on most secured loans.  It would hugely reduce the amount of credit most consumers could get, but . . . probably not actually a bad thing. 

Similarly, it should be illegal to front-load projected interest on long-term debts.  That would probably cause huge changes to the mortgage industry, but, again, most likely for the best in the long run.  It might be too late now to get the most benefit out of such changes, but it's not too late to rein in the usury and bullshit for the sake of ethics and good sense.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #760 on: August 04, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
I know quite well who to be angry at regarding healthcare costs.

:lol: Point.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #761 on: August 07, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »
I believe fraudulent transactions get charged back to the retailer too.  I'm pretty sure the big banks who issue the cards are not suffering at all.