Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 62666 times)

Encino Man

• Trusted
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »
That's interesting, watson ... I should check those out.

I half the flattest feet ever, and the only reason I got this far without orthotics was the good design of Tuff boots. They're pricey though - you have to use a coupon or get them on sale, full retail starts around $140 CDN.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2007, 04:01:23 PM »
When are the sales? I have to start finding "more ethical" leather since I don't seem to be able to go without purchasing small amounts (shoes, belts).
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2007, 08:02:02 PM »
When are the sales? I have to start finding "more ethical" leather since I don't seem to be able to go without purchasing small amounts (shoes, belts).

I don't know when the sales are. Generally in Spring I think, though you can get 10-25% off coupons anytime if you keep a lookout...

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »
Here's a Roots coupon code for 25% off: ENJOY25

In theory it should be valid.

Someone told me awhile back that there are websites that collect the coupon codes online retailers offer. I was skeptical until there was a pair of shoes I wanted to buy but didn't want to pay the full retail + shipping to get them. The least annoying site I've found is coupons dot smarter dot com. I've actually saved a decent amount of money by searching on that site.
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2007, 09:12:41 PM »
Try RetailMeNot.com for coupon codes, they're my favorite. Gotten some GREAT deals.
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2007, 07:30:36 PM »
After Xmas is the time to buy LEDs -- cheap.  A few days ago, I bought four strands of astonishingly bright-for-the-price all-white LEDs for $5 each at CVS, marked down from $15 each.  Those aren't the dimmer and less general-purpose candelabra style but the simple flat-tip lights, 50 to a strand.  If you buy a $5 7-LED flashlight, these are about the same brightness-level LEDs.

Today, CVS had a big get-rid-of-it display of strange bargain and As Seen On TV swag meant as holiday gifts.  (Weirdly, their leftover Xmas lights are no longer on special sale, although they're still up on the shelves.  :shrug:  Their Channukah stuff is 90% off . . . but their LED menorah is laughably useless, except maybe for making Elijah :spittake:.)

One thing they had was . . . Bed Effects lights.  These are odd.  Here's a Walgreens' page:

Bed Effects

Um . . . whatever.  Each light is basically a slightly S-shaped stick with 21 LEDs, two different on/off switches (one on the unit and one on the cord), a transformer, and five properly S-shaped colored plastic gels so you can make the light red or blue or etc.  CVS had them marked down to $3.50, and they had four of them, so now I have four of them.  Seemed worth the risk.  But are they crap?

Actually, the units are sufficiently high-quality to really surprise me at first.  After two hours of being plugged in, the transformer isn't even warm -- but the voltage for the LEDs is so low, that's not so astonishing; a really cheapo transformer would've been a disappointment, though.  And these LEDs are bright, brighter than bargain-flashlight LEDs.  Each S-stick is about as bright as a little halogen reading light.  They're nice!  :thumbsup:

I was originally thinking under-cabinet lighting for my eventual new kitchen (these things are lower-profile than those little stick-up fluorescents -- and a lot brighter, as it turns out), but they're so nifty that I almost want to put all four of them side by side, or in some funky configuration, and use them as a room light. 

Hell, I'm almost tempted to buy more.  But . . . not quite, not at $15 each.  If I find more at closeout prices, though . . . :hmm:.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2008, 09:10:12 AM »
I'm a sucker for dirt cheap clearance lights too. I've got boxes and boxes of the stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen any of those things you're describing. I would have had to buy them whether I had a use for them or not.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 05:03:19 PM »
I was at Menard's Bewildering Warehouse of Stuff the other day, as I am still pissed off at Lowe's, and they had Dirt Devil Swift Stick vacuums on sale for $16 each.  We recently broke the vacuum we had here at work (which was also technically my vacuum), so I picked one up. 

So far, I really like it -- it weighs almost nothing and it works fine.  It's basically a 'dustbuster' vacuum with a stick handle and a detachable floor nozzle with wheels.  It's bagless, but unlike the Black & Decker bagless handheld vac I have at home, the filter doesn't clog instantly.  It's not cordless, but it has a long cord and, also unlike my B&D vac, it has real suction.  Quiet, too.  It also has a much larger capacity and is easier to empty. 

It seems to be basically identical to this vac, except that it has a straight (not triangular) head.  That vac has impressively bad reviews, though, so I'm curious to see how this one holds up.

Speaking of handheld vacs . . . does anyone have a cordless one they actually like?  The last three or four dustbuster-style cordless vacuums I've owned have all been complete crap.  They have very poor suction, clog way too fast, run out of juice too fast, and the batteries rapidly lose their meager ability to hold a charge.  When I was in high school, my mother bought an actual Dustbuster that really (really!) worked -- and she still has it, and it still works great.  :shrug:

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »
Try RetailMeNot.com for coupon codes, they're my favorite. Gotten some GREAT deals.

Holy crikey.  I just tried them for an online purchase from Borders and it worked!   :shock:   :detta:
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
This reminds me of something I was reading a while back that I've never heard of - Virtual Credit Cards:

9. Use virtual credit cards for iffy online buys.

Buying a DVD from Amazon is usually a pretty standard, safe transaction, but that cutesy little shop with the clever T-shirt? That's when you should take a few minutes and get a virtual—or "one-time," "secure," or "online"—credit card. Most major banks, PayPal, and Discover offer them, even if they're not widely used. If you're not quite sure about a site, or even if your own computer might be watched, it can't hurt to try a card made for only one purchase.

http://lifehacker.com/5113886/top-10-ways-to-lock-down-your-data

I had to get a new credit card because of a Paypal screwup, and ever since, I've been reluctant to make online purchases. This sounds like a good idea - have any of you ever done this? Hassle?
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

bit zero

• Trusted
  • come and see the violence inherent in the sysadmin
    • Meh
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »
I've done it.  It's a bit of a hassle, but not too bad -- just the loading the bank up in another window and logging in.  The bank's actual widget for generating the throwaway numbers is a piece of cake, just put in a max dollar amount and an expiration date (usually 1-3 months in the future).  If you want to get really anal, write down which vendors you gave which card #'s to, then when your card number gets stolen again, you can easily figure out which vendor's the one with the crap security.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2009, 06:33:25 PM »
Or those Green Dot burners you can get at CVS and etc.

This is the kinda stuff ya gotta do when you're poor and yet they still want your money.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
I use a virtual acct number when buying stuff from sites that I don't really know all that well. My bank (citibank) offers them for free, and the expiration date is usually the following month from when I generate the number. It takes a minute or so to go over to citi and generate a number, but it's totally worth it.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
I cannot go to a book show without buying something.  Usually, I wind up buying stuff from our shops, stuff that I haven't seen before.  This is mildly retarded, in a way, but also much cheaper than buying the stuff the other dealers bring.  We had one dealer who had an incredible collection of Edward Gorey stuff.  He actually knew Gorey, and in addition to have Gorey stuff I'd never even heard of, and in addition to many signed items, he had Gorey books that Gorey had given him out of his own collection of his own books.  :trance: 

One dealer who regularly hits our show has truly amazing small-poster-sized reprints of old pulp and magazine covers, which he sells for just $13 each (which is, frankly, a steal), and I would like to buy about 200 of them.  I already have lots of stuff that I never manage to hang on my walls, though.  Partly because my walls still need work.  We talked a bunch, though, and he may cut me a deal, especially if I can get him any pulps / magazines that he wants to scan the covers of.  He needs stuff that has the covers in really primo shape, of course.  Amusingly, after he found out who I worked for, he told me that most of the stuff he currently has scans of is stuff he bought from my boss about fifteen years ago.

BUT.  The things I did buy at this show (from our shop's and the other shop's booths):

- Volumes 3 and 4 of the collected Boy Mechanic.  Unbelievable.  These were printed in the 1920s by Popular Mechanics from a column in their magazine, and they are hiliarious.  Many wonderful illustrations.  As is typical of the pre-1950s, teenage boys were expected to attempt all kinds of insane projects, with articles like "Home-made Steam Motorcycle" on the one hand and "Velvet Handbags" on the other.  There's a tremendous ice sled project, the illustration of which shows a boy lying prone on a speeding Flexible Flyer that has a small gasoline engine and a front-mounted (inches from his face!) sawmill blade as the drive wheel.  It does have a fender, but . . . .

Naturally, many of these projects lend themselves well to End Times or mad science.  But I just love this crap anyway.  One can dream.  The volumes were priced at $45 and $50 (they're in very nice shape), and theoretically we have vols 1 & 2 around . . . somewhere.

- and Blake Harper, City Surgeon #1, a comic book that, oddly, has not persisted into the present.  It's in so-so ("Good") condition and was only $5.  Pure kitsch from 1963.  We have even better comics, but most of them cost too much for me to buy as a joke, although I do have The Secret House of Sinister Love #1 at home somewhere.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »
The Secret House of Sinister Love

I may have to have this carved into a plaque for my home.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof