Author Topic: Small Screen / Big Screen  (Read 540633 times)

Irish

• Trusted
Small Screen / Big Screen
« on: January 04, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
So for the first time last night I watched the tv show Beauty and the Geek. I think I heard somewhere this is the 3rd season?

Ummmm, I watched a full hour of this train wreck of a show. It was almost painful to watch, yet I couldn't tear myself away.

Basic premise is they take beautiful dumb women and pair them with geeky non-social guys. Each couple has to do "challenges" until all but one couple is eliminated.

I kept watching the show thinking "This has got to be fake. People just aren't this stupid are they? These women have to know that they plan to make them look like fools on national television. Oh maybe they're so stupid they don't know that...."

I'm no brainiac....but..... anyways - painful. You did hear several of the girls state, "Well, unless we're talking about me, I don't really pay attention."

So I was talking to my boyfriend and telling him my disbelief that there are people like this and he started telling me how he was at work and they were watching coverage of the Sadaam Hussein hanging and one of the girls said, "Who's that?" She had no idea who he was.
i bet you taste like disappointment  -pdrake
I'm not your emotional tampon.

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
Re: Small Screen / Big Screen
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:25:27 AM »
:galm

I knew you'd be into B&tG!

It's awesome. Yes they are really that dumb. And the guys are really that geeky. Heh, they were talking about the phrase "get some booty" and not one of the geeks knew what it meant. They ALL thought it was referring to pirate treasure.

I saw most of one of the earlier seasons of B&tG and it was amazing. They do a pretty good job of making both groups do shit that they are clearly uncomfortable doing and woefully incapable of.

We may have to set up a chatroom so you and I can snark in realtime when it's on.
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof

Irish

• Trusted
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
"We may have to set up a chatroom so you and I can snark in realtime when it's on."

Awsome. Just like the old days. Wait - isn't that geeky to watch a tv show and talk about it at the same time in chatroom?

Perhaps it's my prejudiced way of thinking, but I would rather be a geek with no social skills than a hot extremely dumb chick.

Yeah - that booty scene was just sad. And at first I thought making the girls use the dewey decimal system was a stupid challenge until I saw how much trouble they all had with it.

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »
It's totally geeky and I'm totally in.

I kind of go back and forth on which group I'd rather be a part of. I'm often astounded at how easy certain aspects of life are for the very attractive.
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof

Irish

• Trusted
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »
I definitely think there are advantages to being good looking. Lots of things in life are going to come easier to you because of your looks but still ….

Maybe if you’re just dumb but good looking you think life is easy – but maybe that’s because you’re too dumb to notice? What happens when your looks go? You’ve got nothing to back it up.

The first chick that got booted off:

Crying: I didn’t get a chance to prove myself

Uhhhhh, I don’t think if she had the whole season to be on the show she would have proven anything different.

I don't know why, but I could almost forgive missing the election year question but missing NYSE was just uncalled for.

Irish

• Trusted
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:06:20 PM »
On the big screen note:

Did anybody happen to see the movie Little Children? Wondering if it was any good since I liked the book. I'm hoping it comes out on DVD soon. The movie was pretty under the radar.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:07:41 PM »
It's the one with Kate Winslet in it right?  If so, I so want to see it.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Irish

• Trusted
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 01:09:21 PM »
yep, that's the one.

As far as I know there's been no release date for a dvd and the movie and Doogie both came out in October.

unclejessie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »
So that's why my gf asked me if I knew what booty was.

I pointed to my ass and she said "good".

Irish

• Trusted
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 02:55:02 PM »
heh, clearly she's afraid you're an oober geek

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »
On the big screen note:

Did anybody happen to see the movie Little Children? Wondering if it was any good since I liked the book. I'm hoping it comes out on DVD soon. The movie was pretty under the radar.

On the big screen note:

Previewed it, was going to review it, but was so disgusted with it by the end that I just moved on to something else.

What was the book like? Because none of the characters in the film were likable. I held out hope for Kate Winslet's character, but I had no sympathy for her at the end.
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

Stoater

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 04:48:22 PM »
2006 was utter shite for movies. I'm hoping this year shows a bit more promise.
Transformers looks pretty cool. The Potter movie might be alright. I'll have to check IMDB and see what's up for this Spring/Summer.

My fav. small screen gems are Heroes and Justice League.

Irish

• Trusted
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »
TMNT

'nuff said

Little Children - Well I liked the book and the movie is based off of it with help from the author so I can't imagine the characters are much different. I can see why you'd say they're not likeable at all. They're certainly flawed and self-centered but I still enjoyed it. I liked the struggle I suppose and the realization later in their lives how nothing turned out how they thought. I'm waiting to see the movie compared to the book - but since you hated the movie I'd suggest don't waste your time reading it.

SMJW

• Trusted
  • whoops.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
GRINDHOUSE!!!!!!!!!  I mean, honestly.  The teaser only made me want April to get here even faster.  Also, 300 is going to be amazing.

BTW, on Beauty and the Geek, I can't believe that one dude let that chick turn him into "Little CiCi"...seriously.  Does anyone know what the one dude said on stage when they bleeped it out?  I have my suspicions.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:46:01 PM by biscuit »

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:29 PM »

My fav. small screen gems are Heroes and Justice League.

Damn that Heroes show totally reeled me in...

Can't stand these...LAPSES...between seasons...frickin' TWO WEEKS and a weekend.

Two weeks for BSG...