Author Topic: Small Screen / Big Screen  (Read 542195 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Small Screen / Big Screen
« Reply #7395 on: September 29, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »
I might be able to see The Expanse eventually through Amazon.  I've never used their streaming video, but I have a Prime membership I can't seem to quit.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7396 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »
I haven't seen this.  Just the Wikipedia and IMDb pages:

Benjamin Sniddlegrass and the Cauldron of Penguins

It's a Harry Potter parody, sort of, in which he studies under Werner Herzog.

I think the summary and character list might be better than the film, but I admire the effort.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #7397 on: October 12, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
Watched Hilda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_(TV_series) on Netflix and it was one of the best things I've seen in a long time. We also watched The Dragon Prince https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dragon_Prince and it was super fun. These people are mostly assholes https://kotaku.com/what-we-liked-and-didnt-like-about-the-dragon-prince-1829120485 and the entirety of the review is that these initial 9 episodes somehow didn't manage to be just as awesome as all 91 episodes of their memories of The Last Airbender put together.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7398 on: February 14, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
We have a new kitten -- I don't have any decent photos yet because (A) I'm not good at taking photos, (B) I'm not good at DOING anything with photos once they're stuck on my phone (although I'm told there are apps that will automatically upload them to web storage for ya when you've got the wifis), and (C) I'm not the one who generally takes cat photos.

BUT anyway we have a new kitten and there will be photos eventually, but the POINT is that my work schedule is flexy these days, and so I'm often assigned to sit at home with the kids during the day.  But the kitten wants to lie on my lap, over one arm, most of the time, and I don't currently have a desk, as such, so . . . I can look at a book or look at my phone while the kitten sleeps.  And he sleeps a lot, because kitten.

As a result, I'm weirdly getting around to watching things on YouTube that I thought I wouldn't get to see, since I cancelled my Netflix account.  (And good riddance to Netflix, who just keep getting shittier to use, like every big web company.  I opt out, bitches.)

First, I finally saw Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, which is just six episodes but honestly brilliant.  It's the kind of funny like Snuff Box where you may not laugh during, although you'll be entertained, but you'll be thinking about it later and want to make someone else watch it.  It's also extremely quotable, and I almost felt like I should be taking notes.

That led me to finally see some of The IT Crowd, which is magically good.  The thing is, I never got into it before because Netflix's ads for it honestly made it look so very bad.  The kind of bad that makes you sad.  I think, now, that those ads were misguided rather than merely atrocious.  They were the kind of references that delight people who've already seen the show, not the kind that would tempt people who haven't seen it.

I can't seem to find it on YouTube in a really good format -- the picture's always slightly cropped, and so on.  I suspect this is because the streams I'm seeing aren't actually legal.  I can't tell, because YouTube is shit at tracking and reporting and labeling and sorting, and as user content it all comes out as slightly soiled video toothpaste.  The mobile version of YouTube is AWFUL to try to search and sort through, which I suspect is not accidental, as what it does it make you tend to give up and just use the links that YouTube returns first.

I'm not a Torrents actually increase sales, is the thing!1! guy, BUT I'd buy the DVDs of The IT Crowd.  Used, unfortunately, because I'm broke, and the local used DVD place will take other stuff from me on trade.  But still.  Is good.

IT Crowd turns out to be written by Graham Linehan, who also brought us Father Ted and Black Books, and if I'd known that, I would've tried it a lot sooner.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7399 on: February 15, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
I watched IT after Sidious recommended it. I'm eternally grateful. I probably wouldn't have watched it otherwise, it looked unappetizing for some reason.

Chris O'Dowd, the main character, stars in another Epix/Netflix series, Get Shorty and it's really good stuff too. I put off watching it for a long time because it was tainted by John Travolta in my mind (film version).

I wonder how much good stuff I miss because of these misconceptions.

I've only got 2-3 apps on my phone, and one of them is WiFi Transfer for moving pics to my desktop. On my old phone, I used to be able to just plug it into a USB. The SMARTphone doesn't do that.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7400 on: February 15, 2019, 06:38:41 PM »
Maybe we're too old, and the ads don't click with us.  :eek:

I asked three of my college-aged employees, though, and they said they ignore online ads for shows and movies entirely and rely on word of mouth / internet.  :shrug:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7401 on: February 16, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
I also wanna say, if it ever seems like I ignore people's suggestions -- if anyone even notices whether I do or not :lol: -- it's 99% just because I'll think Yeah, that sounds like it's worth checking out, and then five minutes later I've forgotten.

I have a draft saved in Gmail with TV shows or films that I'd like to give a shot someday.  It's extremely long, and every time I go to add something I look through it quickly . . . and I don't remember ever having heard of half the stuff I've added to it.  :whatever:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7402 on: February 16, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »
I can't even remember stuff I've watched, let alone stuff I haven't watched.  Netflix streaming allows you to download a csv of your history. I'd be lost without it.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.