Author Topic: Small Screen / Big Screen  (Read 543231 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Small Screen / Big Screen
« Reply #7410 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
The neighbors' Roku's interface freezes up a lot, for like five seconds every twelve seconds on average maybe, but I'm using the free content only (I'm pretty sure :uncertain:), so . . . maybe it does that on purpose if you're not signed in to an account, or something?

I can't fucking tell if it's intentionally crappy to try to get me to pay for something (or prove that I've already paid) or if it's just crappy.

So much of internet-based business runs on this scheme.  And it's just such not a good strategy.  There are way WAY too many stable geniuses out there using the marketing plan of Yes, This Free Service Is Bad, But What If You Tried Paying For It?

:eyeroll:

pdrake

« Reply #7411 on: February 26, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
I saw Fighting With My Family on Friday.  I really enjoyed it, even though it was pretty predictable.

We also recently switched to U-verse from Comcrap and with it we have free Starz, HBO, and Showtime for a couple months.  I've been watching American Gods on Starz.  Great so far.  I'll also have to get around to watching the Ash vs The Evil Dead from the on demand Starz while it's still free.

Too much good stuff out there and not enough time.

Check out Black Sails. I really enjoyed it.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7412 on: February 26, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »
Rokus are flaky. I followed the roku sub on reddit for a while because I was having trouble with mine, and I saw lots of reports of a lots of different issues, and very few solutions. Lots of people have it in their TV (they even make their own TV), and I'd be real hesitant to buy anything more than the little cheap standalone units based on their rep.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7413 on: February 26, 2019, 12:31:39 PM »
I still seriously don't see the appeal of having a TV anymore, just because anything I would do with a television I can do better and cheaper with a computer, per se.  And I'd want broadband anyway, whereas I don't want to deal with a cable company for any reason ever again.

Granted, monitors have gone up in cost while similar-tech TVs have come down, but an HD 1080p 32" monitor still seems to consistently cost less than a superficially comparable TV.  The monitor will have a better range of accessible display options, and the TV will have DMCA and speakers built in.  You're likely to want headphones or better speakers anyway.  With the monitor, you'll need a PC of some minimal kind as well, but you probably have one, yes?  With a DVD player built in, and access to vast amounts of streaming content, and gaming capabilities . . . .

I dunno.  It's been a long, long time since the Roku, etc, made sense to me, really.  At the very minimum, any device connected to your TV and the internet ought to be set up natively so you can control it with your computer or phone and not just the utterly crap remote control they give you.

It reminds me of the 90s when I worked in an office that had a many-thousands-of-dollars phone system . . . that had to be programmed through a phone extension keypad using excruciatingly long, obscure codes and the two-line LCD display.  Bitch, for the money thing costs, why isn't there a monitor and keyboard in the phone closet and a good interface?  You're all fired.