Author Topic: Small Screen / Big Screen  (Read 537858 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Small Screen / Big Screen
« Reply #7365 on: June 07, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
Yeah, if you have to do it, but personally I'd just prefer a cheaper movie that doesn't cater to broad markets.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7366 on: June 07, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »
They clearly don't have the stones to make separate Star Wars movies for kids and adults.  Instead, they do stuff that's really meant for both audiences.

Unless Deadpool really sets a trend, which it should.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7367 on: June 07, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »
I wouldn't suggest they make make separate Star Wars movies for kids and adults, it should have stayed aimed at an adult audience with a PG rating, that wouldn't prevent kids from watching it and they'd grow into it, and obviously they'd be even more attracted to it if it's not meant for them. They should have just made something else for kids if they wanted to squeeze that market for all it's worth. They're just overly greedy.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #7368 on: June 25, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
Yesterday I went to a screening of Here To Be Heard the story of the Slits.  The movie was amazing and the Q&A with the film maker was even better.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7369 on: July 03, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »
Hereís some trivia you donít need: For the sixth season of 77 Sunset Strip, everyone but Efram Zimbalist Jr. was fired, the setting moved from LA to New York City (yet the address remained the same), the [literally] snappy theme song was eliminated and replaced, William Conrad was brought in to direct and produce, Jack Webb was brought in as Executive Producer, and it was now semi-noir. It was basically a totally different show that held on to the name of the other show for name recognition.

The first episode featured:

Richard Conte
Wally Cox
Peter Lorre
Herbert Marshall
Diane McBain
Burgess Meredith
Joseph Schildkraut
William Shatner
Walter Slezak
Ed Wynn
Keenan Wynn

I woke up at 4am, unable to sleep, turned on the TV and this was just starting  :trance:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7370 on: July 03, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
They needed to call it 78 Sunset Strip.  Missed it by that much.

TV was crazy back in the day.  Funny to see Lloyd Nolan in there.  He played a lot of detectives, including Mike Shayne, but the last place I saw him was with Zimbalist's daughter -- he was on an episode of Remington Steele where he, Virginia Mayo, and Dorothy Lamour (playing themselves) hire the detectives to find out who their obsessive fan is.  He constantly berates Remington through the whole thing for being kind of a wimp, which is funny because Remington is a huge movie buff and knows all of Nolan's movies.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7371 on: July 03, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
Yeah, it was a complicated web of back-scratching for many years. I guess that was close to the end of those days. I mean, it still carries on to an extent, but not like back then.

I never watched Remington Steele much, if at all. I think my dad used to watch that, so maybe I perceived it as 'uncool' at the time. Lloyd Nolan, I am very familiar with. I just went down the rabbit hole of his filmography and wound up in the National Archives on youtube watching his narration of Don't Be A Sucker, a government propaganda film that is [not] surprisingly timely.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7372 on: July 03, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »
On a related note, Iíve been trying to watch a Russian TV series on Netflix, and I keep sensing my bias against Russians that had been eroding since the 80ís. Now the mistrust is coming back, but in a different way.

:(

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7373 on: July 03, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
:confused:

Does the show occasionally address you by name, or something?  Can they see you?

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7374 on: July 03, 2018, 05:48:24 PM »
 :confused: You totally lost me with your comment. I don't get it. I must have been unclear?

Stating what seems obvious to me:

There was a mistrust of Russians fed to us by our government for years, then the cold war ended and that mistrust started to fade. Now the mistrust is growing again.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7375 on: July 03, 2018, 06:09:22 PM »
Let me try again:

I sense some kind of mistrust of Russians within myself while watching the series. I feel guilty for having this mistrust against the people who made the TV series, because there is likely very little connection between them and their government. I'm lumping them together with the group that influenced the election, and others who may be trying to sow discord in social media, along with other negative traits of Putin, etc. I'm aware of my bias, I realize my mistrust is unfounded and silly, and I feel guilt that I can't keep my mind from going there.

I guess it was a half-baked thought I threw out there. Sorry.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7376 on: July 03, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
I thought you meant the show itself was making you mistrust Russians.

I'm pretty sure the average Russian could barely give a dermo what you or I do.  It's the governments vs the people, and I have a feeling that Russians generally have a good sense of that.

On the other hand, if you go to Russia on vacation, and some nice guys offer to give you a ride to the hotel for free, maybe wait for a taxi.  But of course this is true in the US, too.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7377 on: July 03, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure the average Russian could barely give a dermo what you or I do.  It's the governments vs the people, and I have a feeling that Russians generally have a good sense of that.

My rational brain understands that very well. There's a part of my brain that isn't so rational. That's some of what's mentioned in that "Don't Be A Sucker" film, another reason why my comment made sense to me at the time.

ETA: It doesn't help that the series kinda sucks  :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:39:23 PM by mo »

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #7378 on: July 04, 2018, 12:34:36 AM »
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6772874/
This Is Not What I Expected

Charming love story, with a large dose of craziness. It's on Netflix streaming and my wife got drawn in before the cold opening ended, then we had to watch it together.
ďI'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.Ē

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7379 on: July 04, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »
I was surprised to see that was the title, I thought that was your comment. Stupid brain. Nobody types in selective caps.