• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
Re: Pets
« Reply #1710 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
without further paws, i will now play Fur Elise

wait wait.

wifout furver PAWZ i now can haz playz Fur Elise LOL LOL
That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #1711 on: December 17, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
Seattle Humane is waiving adoption fees for all cats 1 year and older.  I'm so tempted...
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #1712 on: December 20, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »
 :hmm:

I pat my cats like that with my bare hands. I think they just really dig that kind of all-over body stimulation, like when they get the full body massage/ "scrubbing."
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1713 on: December 20, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
Girl at Lemos': So how old is your Aussie?
Me: Two
Girl at Lemos': Oh that's a great age, they're all done with the digging and the chewing and the peeing.
Me: :nonplused:
Girl at Lemos': ... so not so much with the not peeing then.
Me: Awng. Yeah. How old is your Aussie?
Girl at Lemos': 13!
Me: You mean I have to put up with over ten more years of this?!!?
Girl at Lemos': No, no. They calm down a lot. When they get to, um, ten or so.
Me: :nonplused:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1714 on: December 28, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
So, anyway, tonight I got around to attempting to make cat food.  I started small, unambitiously but sufficiently -- I tried modifying better-for-her cat food to a form she would eat.  Mostly, there's a small flavor issue and a bigger texture issue.  So I tried mixing two kinds in a blender.

I used a Cooks personal blender, which is a Magic Bullet-style unit.  My full-size blender would have left me trying to extract one cat of cat food from the blades at the bottom of a large glass pitcher.  Unfortunately, to get the Cooks model to blend the cat food evenly, I wound up converting it to tuna-and-chicken mousse.

My cat seemed to think it was worth eating, but I don't want her normally eating something the consistency of Kool Whip.  I'm not sure of the right solution yet.  This basically wants a small-container blender that will operate at a lower speed and not chop as finely.  The Cooks model has two blade units that, in my experience, produce pretty much identical results ( :shrug: ), and it only has one speed.

I was tempted to try putting a rheostat on the Cooks' power cord, like just cutting a dimmer switch in there and then carefully seeing if that worked.  But I think that only works with DC motors, and the Cooks has a 200W AC motor, so that plan would just make it catch fire.  Not helpful.  And I don't plan to buy a small food processor just to make cat food, but it might come to that.

Alternatively, one of those hand-powered choppers with the spring and the attached glass jar might work.  Messy, and possibly slow, but it seems possible, and those aren't too expensive.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #1715 on: December 29, 2011, 12:54:14 AM »
Get a big wooden or plastic bowl and a double-bladed mezzaluna.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1716 on: December 29, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »
:hmm:  I considered an ulu, but this is basically a process of mixing wet cat foods together and chopping a cup of giblets into mush the consistency of half-melted sherbet.  Seems like it would take a long time by hand, but it might be worth a try.

A rolling dicer or pasta cutter might do it.  It'd make an awful mess, though.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1717 on: January 02, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »
I made a second batch of Kat Whip pretty much the same way, partly because I was low on cat food she'd eat and partly because my cold made going to the store too aggravating.  I got it to mix better this time by repeatedly taking the cup off the blender and shaking it like mad to get the chunks off the top and down to where the blades are.

The stuff does thicken up in the freezer, more approaching the consistency of . . . peanut butter, maybe, except not so sticky.  I guess it's basically pâté.  It's not really that much softer than the Fancy Feast she likes, and she really eats this stuff like crazy, but I feel like I'm giving her elderly-cat food three to five years early.

I can't think of any reason it's actually bad for her.  It's probably better for her teeth.  I wish I knew why she won't eat chunky wet food -- she eats dry food just fine, but with wet food she'll lick all the gravy away and leave the chunks.  It's not super-rare among cats, but I don't understand it.  Then the chunks dry out, and she won't touch them.

So, anyway, this method is working fine and lets me control what she actually eats, but it's a little bit of a pain.  The cat food is just too sticky for the blender.  On the other hand, I used the same blender to make a sherbet smoothie the other night, when my throat was hurting, and it had trouble with that, too -- same problem, in that it threw half the solids to the top of the cup and churned the rest to froth. 

It's gotten great ratings (except for the fact that you only get three cups and can't get more without buying a whole new blender), but I can't figure out what people are using it for if it works great.  I can't imagine it does fruit smoothies too well if it can't blend sherbet.  :shrug:  On the other hand, you can buy one for half or less of what a Magic Bullet costs, and it gets better reviews from what I've seen.

pdrake

« Reply #1718 on: January 03, 2012, 12:26:28 PM »
i've found a few pulses with my food processor chops things without mushing it.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1719 on: January 03, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
I only ('only') own a handheld processor, the stick type that you insert into the container.  It tends to make a mess, but good lord is it powerful.  It's hilarious to put the chopping blade on it and go all lightsaber on some cardboard, although I probably won't do that a second time.

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but I did look at baby food processors.  Er, the kind meant for making baby food, I mean.  They're exactly the right sort of thing, but they cost far more than a cup-sized blender.

It does have to be evenly mush, or she'll leave the chunks behind.  A meat grinder with a fine setting might actually be the most apt tool for the job.

pdrake

« Reply #1720 on: January 03, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
sometimes harbor freight carries hand crank meat grinders. i bought one from some kitchen supply store and use it more than i thought i would, i think i paid $25.

i got the food processor heaped in with all my mom's kitchen stuff. i have some really swank electrical stuff from the '70s.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1721 on: January 03, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
We have all those attachments for the kitchenaid.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1722 on: January 03, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »
Sweet.  And 70s kitchen finery is pretty sweet, too.

Of course, if I buy a meat grinder and it turns out to be unsuitable, I won't have much use for it, since I don't eat much meat anymore, myself.  But reselling it might be iffy.  I may try it anyway.  Raw ground beef is mushy enough, I'm sure, so the more I think about it, the more it seems like a good way to go.

pdrake

« Reply #1723 on: January 03, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
We have all those attachments for the kitchenaid.

got one of those from mom, too.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #1724 on: January 05, 2012, 05:32:34 PM »
Dude like every cat i've heard of* does that to cat food with chunks and gravy. Clearly the gravy is the best part. When Artie had her esophagostomy tube, I had to puree her wet food so it would go smoothly into the tube, and I used a stick blender for that, but I can't imagine a cat with teeth enjoying eating that texture. I just try to make sure I get the pate style of canned food when i get it for her because I know she won't eat the other food (except the gravy). Damn cats.

*my cat and a former roommate's cats