Author Topic: Pets  (Read 184071 times)

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
Re: Pets
« Reply #660 on: January 01, 2010, 02:50:48 AM »
Well, the whole not eating thing went better tonight. Got her lit up on Metacam (painkiller) and she ate three tubes of Tasty Paste (critical care formula food for emergencies) and then the pig-out happened. She plowed through the veggie pile like a hairy buzzsaw. They never say no to the fresh stuff unless they're physically unable to move. So it's pretty much pig-outs from now until Tuesday so she'll have more weight on her for surgery.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

pdrake

« Reply #661 on: January 01, 2010, 04:20:57 AM »
 :shamrock:
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #662 on: January 02, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »
So, I have a question for you dog people.

My man-friend's (incredibly gorgeous) Siberian husky gets mad at him when he leaves the house for any length of time. She gets especially mad when I come over and then he and I go out for dinner or something. She expresses her anger by peeing in pretty much the same spot on the floor. She does it on purpose, as she invariably had just been outside before he left. She likes me, though is obviously a bit jealous. He works at home a lot of the time so I guess she's used to having him around. He was wondering why she didn't pick up on the fact that when I come over, he doesn't spend the night somewhere else, but I don't think that's happened enough yet for her to quite get that. Does he spend too much time with her? I mean, if she's so distressed by his absence, does she need to experience it more often?

So what should he do about the peeing thing? It's pretty much ruined the flooring, and I don't think it's great that the dog is feeling so much angst that she has to act out.

dogbone

• Trusted
  • Rollerboogie Motherfucker
« Reply #663 on: January 02, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »
Not to go all Cesar on the situation, but I'd say that she doesn't like the loss of control. She needs to understand that he's the leader there and can come and go as he pleases.

You need to make sure that she doesn't transfer that angst to you. Do something as a group that she loves -- go for a walk or play at the park, even just have some treats -- and you should be the lead in that so that she associates you with good times/good eats.

Right before you ready to leave, take her on a walk to help drain her and get rid of some of the excess energy.When he/both of you leave, make sure that she's not crowding the door, circling you or showing her anxiety. Get her submissive -- sitting or laying down, relaxed, no eye contact before you walk out. We do this with our small, auxiliary dog, Dippy. We just stand in front of him, not staring him down, but not avoiding eye contact either. You have to be in his space a little bit -- not confrontational, but just sort of "hey, all of this is mine and I'll stand where I want to." When she gives it up, accepts that you're in control and relaxes, then turn and go. Don't make a big production out of leaving -- no "bye-bye" ritual or treats or anything. Just go. Lastly, take the activity from above and transfer it to immediately after he/you/both of you get home. Again, she'll associate positively after some time.
Being a wiseass in a groupthink environment is like throwing an egg at a bulldozer.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #664 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »
OR you could just try peeing in the same spot.

I know, I know -- everyone's so 'modern' nowadays.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #665 on: January 02, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »
I agree with dogbone for the most part,,,she's not mad,,,she's marking her territory.  You spending time with her would be good,,,as would the walking.  I'm not all pack animal,,,make them submissive,,,alpha dog and stuff like that,,,domestic dogs live in families,,,she needs to know that you are now part of the family then she won't feel the need to tell you that you are in her territory by marking it...also you are gonna have to get the pee floor cleaned really really good or get rid of it.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #666 on: January 02, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
Yeah, I think he's planning on replacing that section of the flooring before he goes to sell the house. It's laminate flooring, and it looks like a standard stock, plus I think he has extra of it somewhere.

The thing is, she *is* a pack animal. In so much that he drives her up to snowy Wisconsin once a month to let her run with a pack of other huskies. But yeah, I should spend more time with her while I'm there. She usually spends a lot of time outside because it gets warm in the house for her, plus there's always stuff to sniff and small critters to stalk.

I will pass on the advice, db. Thanks!

Oh and I don't believe I'll be challenging her territory-marking skillz at this point in our relationship, RA. Thanks, though.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #667 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
One cheap and dirty trick for when y'all go out is take a Kong and fill it with peanut butter. Then pop it in the freezer until it solidifies. I used to do that and K-Unit would still be working on that thing when we came home 6 hours later.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #668 on: January 02, 2010, 10:36:15 PM »
Barrister would announce his displeasure by getting into his litter box and hanging his butt over the edge then pee outside the box.  When we had mice, he would get all freaky and pee around the places they were getting in then stay in his cage looking very "alert."

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #669 on: January 02, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was ready to hand down a beating.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #670 on: January 02, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
We have a cat, Benji, who lives outside now because he wouldn't stop peeing on my husbands pillow..not while his head was on it but still...
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #671 on: January 02, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »
I set out barricades of sticky traps for the little fuckers and tossed them into a styrofoam cooler with water and dish soap outside.  Seriously, that's what the exterminator and instructions on the traps said to do; drown them.  Don't bother with the little traps, it's a waste if they manage to skip out of one.  Go for the rat traps.

They were getting in and out of the kitchen, so I laid the traps across the 3' gap between the cabinet and the wall which was the only way in.  Caught one every 30 minutes from 11 to 4a that night and used the red chemical gloves to pick the traps up.  One of them tried to gnaw through the thumb before I tossed him.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #672 on: January 02, 2010, 11:14:24 PM »
My brother's four cats ALL stand on the edge of the litter box and pee over the side.  He knows that they do it because the caustic dust from the litter burns their sensitive parts, but his solution is a plan to build litter boxes with a raised no-litter 'peeing island' in the center.  Seriously.

My cat had the same problem (I think one of them figures this out, and the others learn by observation) but she also coughed a lot from the dust, so I tried different brands of litter until I found a non-dusty one.  The Fresh Step seems to work for us (which is a minor shame, as I prefer the Tidy Cat giant plastic containers for re-purposing), with no targeting shenanigans and no coughing.  She also doesn't track it around as much or fling it out of the box as much, although for the latter, especially, I have no explanation. 

She loves to dig, and when I clean the box and add new litter, she waits for me to finish so she can go to town on a new zen garden.  She won't 'decorate' it until later.  Crazy little monster.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #673 on: January 02, 2010, 11:18:25 PM »
Does Fresh Step have a scent to it? I guess it would likely come in unscented, right? I hate scents, but my cat's clay litter with all its dust I think is just not helping her breathing issues shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gMYD8iLx8

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #674 on: January 02, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »
Fresh Step makes several different kinds, but I don't know if one of them's unscented.  The kind I get is mildly scented, not brutal, and I've gotten both the 'regular' and the 'multicat' versions.  I didn't really notice any difference between those.  Google . . . suggests you can get an unscented version, although, weirdly, maybe only in cardboard boxes instead the giant tupperware.  I'm not sure that's much of a problem, although in my experience the cardboard boxes always leak a bit.

The cat in that video looks and sounds to me (though of course I am not a vet) like it just purrs really hard.  Some cats purr so hard that they gag slightly.  Litter-dust problems usually cause pronounced coughing and sneezing.  The cat's basically inhaling finely powdered cement, which isn't good for its airway or lungs.  The dust also gets all over stuff near the box, which isn't great.  It's caustic and electrostatic and messy and can cause hazing on plastic and even glass.

A lot of clumping litters use bentonite as the clumping agent.  (I think some use portland cement and some use non-bentonite clay.)  Bentonite is a clumpy mineral that can be caustic but can also be hazardous because it can really stick to the cat's paws.  Then the cat licks it off, and it can clump up in their intestines and cause bowel obstructions or impacted anal glands.  Kind of sucky.  My cat has super-furry feet, but the Fresh Step seems to cling to her feet much less than the Tidy Cat did.

Bentonite actually has all kinds of cool properties that are good for other things, not that it's really relevant.  If you have a high-bentonite cat litter, you can press it (hard!) into a shape, and it'll keep the shape and can even be used to cast metal.  It can also be dissolved in water to make gels and be used to filter oil and god knows what else.  Weird stuff.  I think it's actually formed from volcanic ash.

Purring is awesome, though.  Truly an evolutionary marvel.  It's really weird that cats are the only known animals to use sound to stimulate tissue regeneration like that, although I once heard that some expert thought maybe elephants do, too.