Author Topic: Pets  (Read 183992 times)

vox8

• Trusted
Re: Pets
« Reply #1485 on: July 31, 2011, 11:45:36 PM »

I sometimes watch this .. ok this is kind of a bizarre confession .. 24/7 webcam in a no-kill shelter. They have basically free-range cats for adoption. Heh. Anyway they have a blog and I could swear I'd read on there somewhere that they treat the incoming cats with some kind of flea/tick med while they're in quarantine. I just can't find it right now. This is the link to the cam, and that page has links to their blog and flickr and what not. Hey if this helps keep me from being a crazy cat lady by giving me my cute kitten fix, it's a good thing.

OK, I just went and looked and apparently it is either time to play hiding or nap time.

Quite anticlimactic.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #1486 on: July 31, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
Yeah they're not so fun to watch at night. Occasionally a cat will come barreling through, but mostly it's sleeping. During the day when people are around, the cats are always running around, with the interspersed EMERGENCY HALT AND LICK BUTT interruptions. You know, normal stuff.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1487 on: August 01, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »
:lol:

This area is chock full of feral cats, actually.  I probably see an average of five during my walk to work, and there's a possibly homeless neighborhood cat that sleeps in my garage.  I've been trying to think if I brought anything into the house from the garage recently, but no.  If it was this easy to bring 'em in, it's likely to happen again . . . .

I'm still more wigged about the ticks.  I keep looking (especially because I'm paranoid now), and I haven't seen any outside.  These weren't deer ticks; they were one of the larger (but generally less dangerous) species.  We had those in Ohio (yay), and they're easy to see on leaves and whatnot if you look for them.

It's a mystery.  An unpleasant, creepy mystery.  As usual, if it never happens again, I can live with not knowing WTF.

/off to pet shop

tangerine

• Trusted
« Reply #1488 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »
Axe, email me if you wish for vet commentary.  I took S & S to Ailurophile for years and years, but now they go to Haslett Animal Hospital.  Nothing wrong with Ailurophile, but a huge bunch of my petsitting clients take their animals to Haslett, including the woman with four dogs and seven cats.  Very nice place, very good vets (the only negative thing is that it's not a cats-only place).  And it's even on the busline still :) (Marsh and Haslett Rds.) though I might suggest the cheapest/best taxi service is Big Daddy Taxi.  Despite the name being horrible, it's a good service otherwise.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1489 on: August 02, 2011, 12:13:12 PM »
I will look up the Haslett place!  Thanks for the recommendation.

The Advantage II stuff seems to work as advertised so far.  Less than 24 hours after application, the fleas were dropping like flies.  I think she was having an allergic reaction to the fleas (some cats do), but it's so hard to tell if a cat has a fever.  Her nose never dried out, but she always felt warm and her ears felt hot.  If she was running a fever, though, it's gone, and she seems much more relaxed already.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #1490 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
Yay!

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #1491 on: August 02, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
 :detta: :detta: :detta:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #1492 on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Nice. Give it a couple of weeks for the life death cycle to run and things should be happy again.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1493 on: August 03, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
I know -- this has been the summer of reminding myself that things could be worse.  I mostly haven't said that shit out loud for fear of attracting irony, but, really, on the one hand she was really bothered by the fleas, but on the other hand this is the mildest flea infestation I've ever seen.  Granted there's a lot of real estate in her fur, but there've been virtually no other fleas anywhere else.

Weird year already, this 2011.

tangerine

• Trusted
« Reply #1494 on: August 07, 2011, 12:37:17 AM »
When I adopted new kittycat and they found ONE flea on her, we (meaning: I) went on a Total Flea Annihilation mission.  All the vets/vet techs I called recommended that both cats get flea goo for three to four months -- this would outlast the flea lifecycle.  So you might want to give kittycat the flea goo for about that long to be sure. 

I also read advice to vacuum weekly and either 1) throw out the vacuum cleaner bags each time you vacuum (auuugh expensive), or 2) drop a cheap flea collar INTO the vacuum cleaner bag and then any flea eggs you vacuum up will get keeled all ded -- since you would definitely not want to vacuum up flea eggs and then redistribute them into other areas of the house, etc.  I tried this method and it seemed to work OK.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1495 on: August 07, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
:thumbsup:

Yeah!  I haven't gotten a cheap flea collar yet; I'm monitoring my vacuum to see if fleas can actually escape from it.  I let it run for a minimum of ten minutes to dehydrate anything in the bag.  So far . . . I think it's safe, but we'll see.

The goo I bought comes in a four-month dose, and despite the many, many internet panics about this kind of flea treatment (although not so much about Advantage II), I haven't seen a single side-effect, so she'll get the full series of doses.  Any fleas in the house ought to be attracted to her, and then killed, and when the series is over it'll be December.  So that ought to take care of that.

On the other hand, the wet food she eats is Friskies Special Diet, and she does like the Turkey flavor, but of course as a dumb human I'm always at the market thinking maybe she'd like a variety of flavors.  (She honestly doesn't care about variety.)  So I bought four cans of the Beef flavor at Kroger, as I've never seen them at Meijer, and . . . she eats it, but then she barfs it up.  Every single time.

:shrug:  I doubt they specifically poison the Special Diet Beef flavor, but there must be something in there that she's allergic to.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #1496 on: August 07, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »
Pepper's like that too -- she always had terrible problems with hairballs, even though when I comb her, hardly any hair comes off her (she must be cleaning the other cat, who sheds like a dog).

So we feed them both the Iams Hairball Control formula, and Pepper gets Hills Rx Formula canned food, and the barfing stopped.

Until "Daddy" accidentally brought home the wrong dry food -- because inexplicably, the bags for the "Original Formula" and "Hairball Control formula" are the same exact color of orange. There's no confusing the other four or five formulas -- they all have unique background colors to distinguish them. WTF?

She immediately started back into the barfing after every meal. Poor kitty. :(

So of course we got back to the store and got the "correct" food... but WTF?
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1497 on: August 07, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
Unfortunately, my cat doesn't seem to like anti-furball cat food.  She tends to barf up dry food that has corn in it, and hence the Castor & Pollux that she gets now.  She'll sometimes eat soft-style anti-furball treats, and sometimes she'll eat Laxatone, which works like magic.  Although if you give a cat too much Laxatone, be prepared for problems at the other end.

Last time she started refusing the Laxatone (have I already said this?), I tried a petroleum-free brand, which was useless.  She didn't like it, it didn't work, and it was too thin and goopy.  I tried putting some on her paw so she'd lick it off, and she just shook her leg and sprayed the goopy crap everywhere.

Anytime I brush her, though, I get enough fur to make a kitten.  When she's in the mood to be scratched (which is often), I can graduate to tugging gently at her fur, and the amount of fur that easily pulls free is . . . well, after ten years I'm still amazed every time.  I don't understand how her metabolism can produce so much fur.  I don't understand how her coat can HOUSE so much fur.  I remove fur for fifteen minutes straight, and her coat seems as thick as ever.

Maybe somewhere, someone's cat is steadily going bald as I pull fur out of my cat's coat.  All the pillows in Narnia are going flat.  Beats me.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #1498 on: August 07, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
  I don't understand how her metabolism can produce so much fur.  I don't understand how her coat can HOUSE so much fur.  I remove fur for fifteen minutes straight, and her coat seems as thick as ever.

I know, right?!?! I feel this way any time I pet the cat! Not even talking about brushing her. Which, by the way, she LOVES. Seriously she used to come running when I'd accidentally pick up the laser pointer (it doesn't work so well anymore so she perks but doesn't come running) but now she does when I accidentally pick up her hairbrush. That doesn't even have any moving parts, so wtf cat?? But yeah, I don't understand how she eats enough to continue to replenish her coat, and she's not even a long-hair cat. Bf's husky is way worse, but she does eat quite a bit more than my cat. Which is good, the cat's too skinny, not enough calories to sustain that beast.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #1499 on: August 16, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
My mother was at her BFF's house Sunday for a visit, and got in her car to leave. She started down the driveway, then turned out onto the street to go home (they live about two miles from each other).

What she didn't see was her BFF chasing her down the driveway, waving her arms. Then her phone began to ring, but her purse was zipped up and she couldn't get it.

When she gets home, she calls her BFF back, and learns that while she was in her car fiddling around, Inky the cat had jumped on the roof. And there Inky stayed as my mother drove down the driveway and out onto the 35 mph rural road.

The last the BFF saw of Inky, he was in full wind surf mode, his face in the wind, looking rather pleased with himself as they went down the road at 35mph.

As you might expect, Inky was not on the car when my mother got home. She suspects he jumped off at one of the stop signs along the way (we hope), or might have slid off the car around a 20 mph corner and went into a (soft) ditch.

They both went back looking for Inky with flashlights, then again the morning, but didn't find him.

Now you have to understand the personality of this cat, who's probably about 12-14 years old. I'm told Inky is a fearless cat, who often disappears for 2 or 3 days, and he's the kind of cat, if he wasn't killed or seriously injured, would probably find his way home. At least this is what they are telling themselves. 

So my mother has been drinking a lot of wine the last two days. She feels terribly. The BFF is a little more accepting -- it might start to sink in later if he doesn't come home. "He's a free spirit -- if that's the way he wanted to go out, that's the way he would have done it."

It's one of stories that makes you laugh and cry at the same time. At least Steve and I did (so did my mom and her BFF).  :uncertain: