Author Topic: Pets  (Read 183971 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Pets
« Reply #675 on: January 03, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »
Does Fresh Step have a scent to it? I guess it would likely come in unscented, right? I hate scents, but my cat's clay litter with all its dust I think is just not helping her breathing issues shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gMYD8iLx8

Awww. I haven't seen a cat gulp that hard before when purring, but it's not unusual for them to do that. Does he do that all the time, or just after you haven't petted him for a while?
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #676 on: January 03, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »
She'll do it pretty consistently if I've been away for any length of time, but yeah really any time she gets the purr going and she's relaxed it'll happen. The gulping leads to a belch a few minutes later, which is sort of amusing as it often gives her this puzzled look on her face.

The part that concerns me is like when she has to open her mouth to breathe in. There's a point in the video, where I really start talking to her, she sits down at that point because she tries but can't breathe in. It obviously only lasts a second, but it's disturbing to both of us. The whole thing sucks because I end up feeling guilty that she's purring and often push her away just so she doesn't purr too much and stop breathing.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #677 on: January 03, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
Yeah.  I used to know someone who had an older cat that was just like that.  The purring issues were disconcerting but didn't seem to bother the cat much and didn't seem to actually harm it at all.  :shrug:

It was pretty old, though, and had the runniest nose of any cat I've ever seen.  Slightly gross.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #678 on: January 03, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »
She. Sorry, the name threw me off. Yeah, she does appear kind of uncomfortable/worried looking.

I seem to have lost my link for that site that had so much information on cats. I think it may have gone down with Geocities. Googling just brings up a lot of other people asking the same question, but no definitive answers.  Some cats actually start coughing, apparently. I've got an appointment with the vet tomorrow. If I get a chance, I'll ask about it, because it's something I've always been curious about too. My cat does it occasionally, and the cat I had before did it, but only when it was high on catnip.

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #679 on: January 03, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »
Cat litter is for cats.  We used unbleached Care Fresh, which is made from recycled paper so if he eats it there's no issues with mucking up his digestive tract.  SOP was to change the litter box in his cage every day so things didn't start stinking.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #680 on: January 04, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »
Good luck with the surgery Stoat :shamrock: .  Bear goes in tomorrow for a rectal tumor.  The needle biopsy didn't reveal the dreaded crab, so at least we have that going for us.  $1.2K is the estimate.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #681 on: January 04, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »
Ugh. That's ... expensive.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #682 on: January 04, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Thanks, mang and big  :shamrock: back atcha.

I gotta be there between 8/8:30 - part of the route is Nicholasville road at morning rush. It's .... how do I put this .... a six lane deathmatch with 5 intersections all humped on top of each other. Going in there without any sort of chemical support will guarantee Current Traumatic Stress Disorder. DO NOT WANT. I'll hit Whole Paycheck on my way home for some miso to make soup with. That should take the edge off.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=nicholasville+road+lexington,+ky&sll=37.996666,-84.521644&sspn=0.067774,0.146084&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Nicholasville+Rd,+Lexington,+Fayette,+Kentucky&t=h&z=13
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #683 on: January 04, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
I'm about to box-up the cat and take it to be neutered. My pet problems are nothing compared to y'all's, but I'm still  :( :uncertain:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #684 on: January 04, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
Well. That was unpleasant. He didn't like the carrying case idea at all. I've never heard him howl and cry like that before. All the way to the vet, it was "Hooooow could you do this to me? I thought you were my friend! I trusted you! Why are you doing this to me?"

:(

Now I have an hour to wait to make sure there's nothing else wrong with him  :uncertain:  :pray:

I'll never understand how people can stand the stress of having children.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #685 on: January 04, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
Scooter hates the vet.  It always sounds like she's being tortured.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #686 on: January 04, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
It didn't even sound like a cat. It was like a baby crying. Really unnerving.

Anyway, the hour has passed and no phone call - that means he passed the basic tests  :detta: :D

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #687 on: January 04, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
I'll never understand how people can stand the stress of having children.

Christ, I know -- I agonized every time I had one of my kids neutered.  But it's for the best.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #688 on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »
It didn't even sound like a cat. It was like a baby crying. Really unnerving.

Yeah that's what Artemis sounds like. It's horrible and I always worry a neighbor is going to be like "STOP BEATING THAT CHILD!!!" with all the noise she makes.

That they don't say that, well, doesn't say much for them.

Anyway, I am video happy lately and even though I sound like a moron, here's another video of the cat. This time, she's eating the Chia cat grass we got for Christmas. She's currently still very angry that it's in the bathroom and I had the nerve to close the door, keeping her out.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #689 on: January 04, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
OM NOM NOM NOM
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."