Author Topic: Weather ... or not  (Read 317402 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Weather ... or not
« Reply #4515 on: March 05, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
Past weekend, report said it'd be nice here (well, pretty sunny and like 40 F) all week.  Yesterday I got an alert saying there'd be a horrific blizzard tonight through tomorrow night.  :confused:

Apparently it's a bad storm, yes, but not so much here, fortunately.  We're supposed to get 2-3" of snow that will probably most melt as it makes contact.  Visibility might be hopeless at times, but that's about it.

This is one of those areas where the climate isn't exactly what you'd call ideal, but where the weather is usually worse if you drive an hour or so in any direction.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4516 on: March 07, 2018, 10:40:40 AM »
Yesterday:  We could get as much as 2.5" or barely possibly 3" of snow by Thursday, but daytime temps will be 35 F and up, so it won't be a problem.

This morning:  A good 4" of thick, wet snow already, and now they're saying another 3" by the end of today, and also the high will be 33 F.

:eyeroll:, but the northeast is getting a noreaster, so, you know.  Perspective.  But FFS.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4517 on: April 14, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »
Rain, snow, ice.  Still.  We'll be down to freezing or below every night this week, apparently, sometimes with thunderstorms.

Depending on who you believe, we'll get a tenth to half an inch of ice accumulation this afternoon and evening.  :nonplused:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #4518 on: April 14, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
I'm considering whether it's safe to put out plants yet. I think we may be done with the frosty stuff. We're going to be getting the same cold front, but not as intense.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #4519 on: April 14, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »
A short video I took from my drive home last night.  Ugh.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #4520 on: April 14, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »
That's kind of what the pollen looks like here.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #4521 on: April 17, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »
It got into the low forties here last night, and it was freezing up in the bay.

I guess I gotta say, get used to it. This is happening because with the loss of ice cover in the Arctic, the ocean is dumping tremendous amounts of heat into the atmosphere in the wrong place and it's disrupting the stability and shape of the polar vortex. This is gonna happen again.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #4522 on: April 17, 2018, 07:06:41 PM »
Thanks for your evidence based fake news.  :fuckyou: Republican scum
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4523 on: April 18, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »
It was already pretty New England up here.  :whatever:

Sidious

• Trusted
« Reply #4524 on: April 18, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »

I guess I gotta say, get used to it. This is happening because with the loss of ice cover in the Arctic, the ocean is dumping tremendous amounts of heat into the atmosphere in the wrong place and it's disrupting the stability and shape of the polar vortex. This is gonna happen again.

So do we need a couple of big volcanic eruptions to buy us some time?  I might be able to arrange something.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #4525 on: April 19, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »

So do we need a couple of big volcanic eruptions to buy us some time?  I might be able to arrange something.

One of the things that makes climate science so darn exciting is those positive feedback loops that kick in ("tipping points" is the current buzzwords but this implies there's a definite point, which isn't really true unless you look at things from geological distance). In the ice cap issue, having ice makes it more easy to keep ice, so one or two super cold winters up there that lead to a lot of ice recovery could be something that keeps the ice around for longer than that time, so yes, if you could, please arrange for a couple big eruptions. Not Rainier, if you can, because I kind of need to do some stuff in Seattle this summer.

Hilariously this has come up in planning for this year's cruise. If there's a big eruption in the Aleutians we're in a lot of trouble, science wise, because it could put a lot of iron into the water and completely mess up the system we're trying to study. So if you could find a hot spot under Florida instead that would be most effective.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4526 on: April 19, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
MEANWHILE

It snowed here last night, and with the help of the idiots in the GOP Trump humped NASA today.

FFS.  But rich people and con artists profit madly during times of chaos, sooo . . . .

Sidious

• Trusted
« Reply #4527 on: April 19, 2018, 09:41:13 PM »
Not Rainier, if you can, because I kind of need to do some stuff in Seattle this summer.

I make no promises.

Hilariously this has come up in planning for this year's cruise. If there's a big eruption in the Aleutians we're in a lot of trouble, science wise, because it could put a lot of iron into the water and completely mess up the system we're trying to study. So if you could find a hot spot under Florida instead that would be most effective.

I make no promises.  But blowing up Florida is definitely tempting.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #4528 on: April 20, 2018, 03:19:04 PM »
I second the motion for blowing up Florida.  All in favor?
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4529 on: April 20, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »
Yes, all.