Author Topic: Topicless  (Read 198710 times)

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
Re: Topicless
« Reply #2325 on: June 29, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
One of my feline owners, Princess Pupuli, saw her dentist whether she wanted to or not. Total of 5 teeth had to be removed. She is getting up there in age and it happens over time.

What I wasnt expecting is to have to give the vets office my ID for her pain prescription. Its a controlled substance. So heres a wave at the investigator for my next security clearance which may be more interesting than my last one.

At least this time I didn't have to sign a HIPAA waiver.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2326 on: June 30, 2017, 05:18:45 AM »
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #2327 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
I wonder if kitties prefer weed too?
I was not expecting that connection :) She is a cat that responds to catnip. :hmm:
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2328 on: July 09, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
I have a weird feeling that I mentioned this years ago, but it recently came up again, and the googles are shit.

The phrase "Too bad, douchebag!" was extremely popular in the late 1970s but apparently not before then.  From like 1980-82, lots of kids I knew were saying it, often getting it slightly wrong.  Most we said "Too bad, do-bag!" although we weren't sure what "do-bag" was supposed to mean.  I know other people from distant parts of the country who had similar phrase leap into popularity around the same time.

I can't for the life of me find the origin.  I figure it must've been in a movie or used by a comedian or something.  Doesn't seem to be Carlin or Cheech & Chong.  Richard Pryor? 

I remember it was a big deal that one of the kids said "douche bag" in ET, but I looked it up, and that isn't it.

:shrug:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2329 on: July 10, 2017, 05:12:25 AM »
Let me guess, Google wanted to sell you a douche bag, right?

I would not have said it was a popular phrase in the 70's, more like early 80's, but I could easily be wrong. I have no idea what use might have caused it to become popular. My guess would be cop movie. It wouldn't have been allowed on TV, I don't think. Carlin is also a good suspect. I wouldn't think Cheech & Chong or Pryor, not exactly their styles, but possible. Might have come out of the wrestling world, but again, in those days, I don't know if it would be allowed.

Doing a search for douchebag on this site is pretty funny. Much anger.

These type things are nearly impossible to solve, but thanks for planting the question in my head. It's the type thing that will bug me. I pulled up the scripts for They Live and 48 Hours and did a command-f for douchebag. You can rule those two out.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2330 on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
It was widely popular by 1980 or 1981 among ten-year-olds, which is what makes me think there might've been a lag of a year or two from its origins. 

But, yeah, I dunno.  Seems "douche bag" generally became a lot more popular in the first half of the 80s.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2331 on: July 10, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
Well, it dates to the thirties, according to Slate.

Lovely to read this article.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"Fortunately, I'm not into that sort of thing.  Not until they get sexier drones." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2332 on: July 10, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
 :lol: @ the posterboy.

Good find there. Amazing that that article exists and that they traced it back that far.

It's funny they mention Morton Downey Jr., because he crossed my mind when I was pondering this. Also a true douchebag himself, his show was a negative milestone in TV. You might look back on it as a turning point in civil discourse in the US as well. May he rot in hell.

Douche and douchebag are hardly the first epithets to cross the gender barrier. Both bitch and faggot were first applied to women before becoming emasculating insults to men. Those examples suggest that douche once referred, in some way, to a failure to conform to gender stereotypes.

That's a stretch.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2333 on: July 10, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »
Yeah, terrific link, Hmof:thumbsup:  I'm specifically thinking of "Too bad, douchebag!" as an almost rhyming couplet, but who knows.  Maybe people used that phrase when someone complained about the new Flatiron Building.

I think douche caught on rather than, say, enema bag because it's a terrific yet slightly unpleasant sounding word.  Doooooouche:lol:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2334 on: July 11, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
I think I'll use enema bag from now on.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2335 on: July 11, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »
You'll probably feel fresher.